endurocross

Trials engine in motocross frame

Hello all ,

Perhaps you are wondering if i spelled it wrong , no i didn't .

I have 2 bikes , a 2007 EXC 200 and a '98 KX 125 .

Both of them are so loud , I heard a trials bike is not so loud so i would do the transition . I prefer to swap for the KX sine that engine is not running and repairing it would cost more than it's value .

Has anyone even heard or seen a trials motor in motocross / enduro frame ?

Come on there has got to be some .

Theres a million muffler options out there. They even make muffler db snorkels but they look goofy AF but make almost no soundCapture%2B_2019-07-10-15-47-04.jpeg

• Haha 1

Sure it's possible, it'll cost more than a turbine core or nature friendly spark-arrested silencer though. If you want quiet the last thing you should be riding is small bore, which more often that not require RPMs to make power. I've seen threads of modern YZs with aircooled IT motors but that's not exactly what you're after. Never seen a pure trials motor swap as people who want trials power... Tend to ride trials bikes. But if you have the skills and resources you can be an innovator. You could have a double walled pipe made, like the KDX or oldschool ITs. Add a DBSnorkel, airbox snorkel, etc. Or get a big bore and chug it :D 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think the gear ratio of a trials engine would work well in a MX setup, but you probably can make something work. 

If it's sound you're worried about, I don't think it'll help you much tho. A high revving engine blasting down the dirt is always going to make one hell of a racket.

My 2 cents: Install a proper muffler, pack it well. Stick some sound deadening material for car audio on the air box, it'll dull the intake sound. That's about all you can do. 

Although I just saw that snorkel thing above. Don't know them, but it looks stupid enough to work. 

Edit: YouTubed the dB snorkel and I'm not sure it works. And the first two videos are of guys who kick and ride their dirtbike on crocs, which I think is a fitting look to go with this contraption. 

Edited by FluffyTheGalaxyDestroyer
YouTubed the snorkel

2 hours ago, endurocross said:

Has anyone even heard or seen a trials motor in motocross / enduro frame ?

What are you aiming for? Trials bikes are torque monsters with very little (really zero) top end horsepower. They are designed for courses where there is no timing, speed makes zero difference in a trials event score. (some events have a maximum time allowed, but that is to discourage stopping for minutes, if you are rolling at 0.01 MPH that will be fast enough).

Trials bikes have very limited suspension travel and essentially zero dampening.

I can't see what you are trying to accomplish.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Db snorkels do work .  Mine feel apart years ago.  They arent made any more ive read here. 

2 strokes always sound loud while on the bike but it doesnt carry far at low rpm.  The old ktm hockey stick mufflers were very quiet. 

If noise is the primary concern ride a stock ttr or aircooled crf. A stock kdx is great too. 

Edited by seer
  • Helpful 1

My stock KDX200 is quieter than my trials bike. Put a KDX200 engine with stock exhaust in the KX125 frame. There are threads about it in the 2 stroke Kawasaki forum.

What you are suggesting is something I wish I had. Unfortunately a running trials engine with everything to make it work will cost as much as just buying a complete bike. The closest thing to what you have in mind is a Sherco X-ride. That would be a wonderful bike for rock climbing. But as suggested, if you want quiet just get a good muffler and ride at low rpm. My KTM 200 is extremely quiet with the type 296 spark arrestor on it, seldom do other trail users hear me coming.

What you are suggesting is something I wish I had. Unfortunately a running trials engine with everything to make it work will cost as much as just buying a complete bike. The closest thing to what you have in mind is a Sherco X-ride. That would be a wonderful bike for rock climbing. But as suggested, if you want quiet just get a good muffler and ride at low rpm. My KTM 200 is extremely quiet with the type 296 spark arrestor on it, seldom do other trail users hear me coming.
Scorpa has something like that, I think they call it a T-Ride or something but it's basically a street legal glorified trials bike.

Scorpa has something like that, I think they call it a T-Ride or something but it's basically a street legal glorified trials bike.
That had a Yamaha wr250f engine in it, it was a decent bike but nowhere near the grunt of a trials engine. The most modern and probably best of this type of bike is the Montessa 4ride. I'd buy one of those in a second but you can't get them in the US.
  • Like 1

Too bad i can't find one of those dB snorkels any more ,  i remember 5 to 6 years ago i was thinking wether to buy one or not , well now they are no more in production and that is bad .

Back to thread , i think investing in the Kawasaki is a bad idea in my country , can barely find parts for these , and the same goes for KDX , i am afraid that if it breaks then i will not find parts anymore .

I would like to stay on 2T if possible , if not have my eyes on a WR250 .

About the type 296 spark arrestor , i looked up on https://www.procircuit.com/spark-arrestor-ktm.html  and the closest i could find was for   KTM125/144/150SX '04-10 and since the 200's  are overbored + overstroked 125's  perhaps it fits , but will a SX pipe fit in to EXC  ?

I am really curious wether the type 296 or the fmf q steatl is quieter for my EXC200 .

And last question sint those DB sorkels are not made anymore , does someone know how to make such a thing ? Do you have a "diagram" or something like that ?  Can i create one of my own ? If so does it need some packing inside , or just the exterior ? Out of what material should it be ?

Posted (edited)

in the old ISDE days, people would clamp innertubes and such around the silencer to pass tech... if you are this resourceful to even think about a engine transplant like this, then figuring a silencer should be easy. An extension pointing down with a small outlet would help immensely. You can also fabricate a double wall pipe to cut down on noise.

Edited by DEMI

4 hours ago, endurocross said:

Too bad i can't find one of those dB snorkels any more ,  i remember 5 to 6 years ago i was thinking wether to buy one or not , well now they are no more in production and that is bad .

Back to thread , i think investing in the Kawasaki is a bad idea in my country , can barely find parts for these , and the same goes for KDX , i am afraid that if it breaks then i will not find parts anymore .

I would like to stay on 2T if possible , if not have my eyes on a WR250 .

About the type 296 spark arrestor , i looked up on https://www.procircuit.com/spark-arrestor-ktm.html  and the closest i could find was for   KTM125/144/150SX '04-10 and since the 200's  are overbored + overstroked 125's  perhaps it fits , but will a SX pipe fit in to EXC  ?

I am really curious wether the type 296 or the fmf q steatl is quieter for my EXC200 .

And last question sint those DB sorkels are not made anymore , does someone know how to make such a thing ? Do you have a "diagram" or something like that ?  Can i create one of my own ? If so does it need some packing inside , or just the exterior ? Out of what material should it be ?

They didnt have any packing. It was all flexible rubber. Ive read of many guys running inner tubes before to pass db tests.  

If you have access to an old ktm muffler consider it. You can remove the internal spark arrestor and add more core/packing. 

9 hours ago, DEMI said:

in the old ISDE days, people would clamp innertubes and such around the silencer to pass tech...

I'm going to steal that so my shenanigans can be more stealthy.

• Like 1

Well I just bought the hokey stick muffler for a 2001 EXC 200 from Ebay ( UK ) and i am waiting for it to arrive next month ( yes slow as the turtle ) .

But i am having some trouble understanding what is this and where you mount it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-SX-EXC-Exhaust-Silencer-Tailpipe-Rubber-Seal-Silicon-Gasket-Orange/362121543059?fits=UKM_Make%3AKTM|UKM_CCM%3A200&hash=item5450203d93:g:m6wAAOSwLApZ1Oqb

The part i am having problems with is "THIS IS THE FLEXiBLE RUBBER JOINT USED TO CONNECT THE TAILPIPE TO THE FRONT PIPE" , if my understanding is correct somewere between the exhaust and the pipe .

Yes, it goes between the pipe and the silencer. Both of them slide into the ends of the rubber part, then put zip ties around both ends to seal it.