davethedogman

california Kid friendly riding areas in palm springs

Thinking of taking my son down to palm springs to do some riding. We are from Canada but spend a lot of time in that area and would like to bring our bikes down. Is there any areas that my son and I could ride together that are not to difficult. Maybe some place with good view points or cool history behind it. Thanks for any information. 

Way, way, WAY too hot down there

it used to be that you could just pull off 111 outside of town and ride. I doubt that's the case anymore. not since the 90's. if you find a place to ride around there prepare for it to be 110*f outside.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Horse Stick said:

it used to be that you could just pull off 111 outside of town and ride. I doubt that's the case anymore. not since the 90's. if you find a place to ride around there prepare for it to be 110*f outside.

We wont be going til around new years. Lots of planning to do to make the trip as fun as possible. 

5 hours ago, davethedogman said:

We wont be going til around new years. Lots of planning to do to make the trip as fun as possible. 

Not much down that way that's legal or fun.  You could do some riding along the Bradshaw Trail if sightseeing is your thing.  Awesome scenery.  A lot of history.  Google it.

I have found a few tracks in the area and inam thinking of getting my son and I some lessons while we are there. May have to check with them to find trails

Not much down that way that's legal or fun.  You could do some riding along the Bradshaw Trail if sightseeing is your thing.  Awesome scenery.  A lot of history.  Google it.

18 minutes ago, davethedogman said:

I have found a few tracks in the area and inam thinking of getting my son and I some lessons while we are there. May have to check with them to find trails

I  wasn't thinking about tracks...  you said "Maybe some place with good view points or cool history behind it."   Thats what made me think of the place.

Bradshaw is about 100 miles long not counting all the off shoots and box canyons.  Military finds...  mines...  fresh water springs.  Just reading the history of Bradshaw developing a route for travelers to get from the Colorado River to the Salton Sea with fresh water springs along the way so travelers by horse or wagon could make the trip west is kinda interesting....  and you can stop at the Patton Tank Museum for a mid ride mid day break for lunch if you are into that kinda stuff. 

• Like 1

I  wasn't thinking about tracks...  you said "Maybe some place with good view points or cool history behind it."   Thats what made me think of the place.
Bradshaw is about 100 miles long not counting all the off shoots and box canyons.  Military finds...  mines...  fresh water springs.  Just reading the history of Bradshaw developing a route for travelers to get from the Colorado River to the Salton Sea with fresh water springs along the way so travelers by horse or wagon could make the trip west is kinda interesting....  and you can stop at the Patton Tank Museum for a mid ride mid day break for lunch if you are into that kinda stuff. 
[url=https://www.youtube.com/embed/RrvO4rhm4mY?feature=oembed][/url]  
We plan on hitting a track or 2 in the area as well. But an adventurous trail would be fun. I was just thinking the guys at the tracks may know some legal trails too.
  • Like 1

[url=https://www.youtube.com/embed/RrvO4rhm4mY?feature=oembed][/url]  
I just watched the video. Looks like the perfect place to ride. Just what I was thinking of. I will do a little more digging into the place and see what it's all about. Thanks
  • Like 2

if you like 50 miles of sxs stutter bumps during riding season bradshaw trail is good. maybe just make the drive to ocotillo wells. better riding anyway. and they are removing all the old rail road track from the bradshaw trail/ eagle mountain RR. the bridge might be going away too. on a side note think of bradshaw trail as the original 10 freeway but dating back to waaay before there were such things

• Like 2

if you like 50 miles of sxs stutter bumps during riding season bradshaw trail is good. maybe just make the drive to ocotillo wells. better riding anyway. and they are removing all the old rail road track from the bradshaw trail/ eagle mountain RR. the bridge might be going away too. on a side note think of bradshaw trail as the original 10 freeway but dating back to waaay before there were such things
Writing this all down lol. Lots of research to do

On 7/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, davethedogman said:

If you're looking for "offroad motorcycling" school, then look no further than Motoventures. Actually, they're very close to Palm Springs area. (In Anza, actually.) Gary is a very good coach, and he has a good crew there also. Fun to try trials also, if you haven't previously. They hold the "El Trial De Espania" there. Across the hwy from motoventures is Cahuilla MX park too...

www.motoventures.com 

Edited by NORTY
  • Like 1

If you're looking for "offroad motorcycling" school, then look no further than Motoventures. Actually, they're very close to Palm Springs area. (In Anza, actually.) Gary is a very good coach, and he has a good crew there also. Fun to try trials also, if you haven't previously. They hold the "El Trial De Espania" there. Across the hwy from motoventures is Cahuilla MX park too...
www.motoventures.com 
Checking them out right now. thank you
  • Like 1