2 wheeler vs 4 wheeler for young lad

9 hours ago, BerserkAUS said:

Can get him a 2 wheeler in future lol. More asking are they really that dangerous if it's the right size

Compare weight of quad to weight of child ..... it'll be pretty obvious which one is gonna lose out.  

Quads roll over on their riders.  Bikes just throw their riders off.  Which would you rather experience?

Forget the quad and get him a bike.  Quads suck anyway.  😃

• Like 1

Started stepson on quad at 5, then bought a bike. He didn't like the bike and bought another quad. He doesn't have any interest at all in bikes or quads these days, 24 now.

Posted (edited)

another factor is the first rides.

please. no training wheels.

teach them to balance and to STOP before even thinking of running the engine. yes, it looks dumb, pushing people around on a bike. do it anyway.

when he can stop. when he can roll down a hill in complete control... then the engine starts.

just remember anyone over the age of thirty or so learnt the proper way... no silly little gadgets... sink or swim! restrictors? lanyards?

and probably a few years on a bmx for most of us without the benefit of parents willing to buy us motos...

sure we got hurt... mainly cus we were chucked on this smoke breathing monster and told "just rev it and dump the clutch" despite not being able to touch the ground...

brakes? who needs brakes?

if we got it, we were hooked...if we screwed up... we became puter engineers...

ah... youtube...  see any common theme?

people with no idea what the controls do, how to use them... panic sets in...wee!

doesnt matter how old you are...

but almost all of us know someone in a wheelchair from a quad or better yet...

atc trikes...

learn to ride on TWO wheels. then try more. when you know how to come off... safely...ish...

a lanyard doesnt get a quad off you. 

their natural position is wheels up in the air. deadly.

fun. but deadly. only for the experienced!

Edited by Chris Russell
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, 450Ruf said:

this site is anti quad.

I'm not a site I am me. I have both quads and bikes amd I have posted on quad forums too. I purchasef a Can-Am renegade 800 new in 08 and I still own it. It is more dangerous than my 450 or my 500 dirt bike. it weighs over a hundred pounds more than both bikes combined. Quads are fun but if it lands on you it will probably hurt.

I think you made a smart choice. Just get lots of gear!

Dirt biking is also similar to other fun like jet skiing and snow skiing and it will teach balance and control that you wouldn't learn as easily on a quad.

It's not because of the danger that I prefer bikes. I personally have much more fun on a motorcycle.

• Like 2

Can get him a 2 wheeler in future lol. More asking are they really that dangerous if it's the right size
Yes, quads are quantifiably more dangerous. When you flip a quad, it frequently lands on top of you. When you crash a bike, you almost always go separate directions. Quads don't teach skills, they're useful on a farm, on sand dunes or if you're too fat or disabled to ride a motorcycle. There are no other acceptable excuses for riding a quad and as such those riding them should be shamed publicly.
  • Helpful 1

Oh I didn't realise it was anti quad haha. Makes sense. I need to research riding areas where I live also, as that will play a part in fully deciding as well. 
This site is anti kwad because it's populated with intelligent, experienced and highly skilled riders. I'd absolutely encourage you to go on some dedicated Kwad sites and compare the literacy, passion and knowledge of posters. Kwad people might be your people, we're admittedly folks who take skilled riding pretty seriously, kwad riders are a more casual beer and lifestyle crowd. Go to any staging area near you, observe and talk to kwad and motorcycle riders, the difference will be readily evident. As will the dental hygiene.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up on the PW-50, you can put training wheels on it and set the throttle to a certain speed, both which my dad never did and I was fine. you dont have to mix the gas either, and maintenance is easy. 

G'day all, just after some advice as I'm getting mixed thoughts from my research so far.
Looking at buying my 8yr old boy either a bike or quad for xmas, to get him off the bloody ipads/tvs ect and get him outside!
From my research I can see a lot of people say stay away from quads, but I also noticed it's usually when kids ride adult size quads that bad things happen. Would an age appropriate quad with lanyard killswitch, and things like throttle governor be okay? Would mainly be riding on flat open land until I know he can handle himself, even then I'd be riding behind him
Or is it truly safer to go with a two wheeler? My boy just thinks quads are awesome, main reason I looked at them.
Was planning on buying either from Thumpstar, any reviews on these would be handy too.
Cheers!

This should be fun.....
  • Helpful 1

We are not so much,   anti quad , as we are experianced ... Seeing how quad riders behave , and act is entertaining to say the least ..   lots of dounuts , what the hell is that all about ...like chasing your tail .....  stopping by others to visit ,  open the ice chest , get a few beers ... while the kids take off by themselves , no gear , not even a helmet.  8 - 10 yrs. Old  ,  If that ....  totally  ignorant parents ,  Can't blame kids , they  learn what they see ....    Got The Picture ???     I teach my kids to respect the land , other people ,     themselves    ,  to  ride safe , and have fun without all that other B.S.  ...      Bikes are  2 times safer than quads , just because you have to teach them , you have to center attention on them ... they like attention and respect you for taking the time.....I realize not all quad riders are like that ..and quad racing is a sport .  But there are Places just for that ... I just choose not to be around them ...  Nuff said .....  Over and out ,  riding trails with the kids ...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

33 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

We are not so much,   anti quad , as we are experianced ... Seeing how quad riders behave , and act is entertaining to say the least ..   lots of dounuts , what the hell is that all about ...like chasing your tail .....  stopping by others to visit ,  open the ice chest , get a few beers ... while the kids take off by themselves , no gear , not even a helmet.  8 - 10 yrs. Old  ,  If that ....  totally  ignorant parents ,  Can't blame kids , they  learn what they see ....    Got The Picture ???     I teach my kids to respect the land , other people ,     themselves    ,  to  ride safe , and have fun without all that other B.S.  ...      Bikes are  2 times safer than quads , just because you have to teach them , you have to center attention on them ... they like attention and respect you for taking the time.....I realize not all quad riders are like that ..and quad racing is a sport .  But there are Places just for that ... I just choose not to be around them ...  Nuff said .....  Over and out ,  riding trails with the kids ...

Pretty much what most things come down to though really, the parenting! I have no doubt a majority of quad accidents are down to shit parenting.

Agree with the donuts on quads though, like huh? How is that fun after like 1 or 2 spins haha

5 hours ago, 450Ruf said:

You do as you wish. But this site is anti quad. All bias opinions. All my kids grew up riding both and respecting the terrain. Kids can get hurt riding any form of bike. It’s the parents responsibly to teach and guide. Good luck and be safe. 

For a good reason... Quads kill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 450Ruf said:

Obviously! It was to be, a funny pic. 😑 

Not funny, just stupid...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, RichBaker said:

For a good reason... Quads kill.

Purely out of curiosity how many of the deaths are on kids sized quads?

Doing as much research as I can and it seems to be kids that get on adult quads at family properties and stuff like that. Again I'm just curious if anyone has seen many articles that specifically say kids size quad. The one I was originally looking at weighs 105kg, which is 100kg less than say a Raptor 700 but 40kg more than the 2 wheel option. I guess that 40kg extra is the issue, being it's a kid riding it and that's a lot of weight for a kid.

10 hours ago, BerserkAUS said:

Appreciate all the feedback guys! Looks like I'll go the 2 wheel option as many good points have been made

Have a look at the “Kuberg” brand bike .. they make a trials and cross style bike.. they have a few videos out ........ I’ve been looking at them for my young nephew ..... it’s dealing with his mother that’s the challenge ... Hahaha ..... last time we hung out together I told him to tell his mom that “ I want to live outside of the box “ anyways Kuberg Cross is the one that brings interest .

58806FE6-454A-4AA7-A665-6E1F9991BA16.png

"Anti quad" is not accurate.  Safety oriented would be more accurate.  Quads have their purpose.  Working, hunting or transportation across swamp or super deep sand, etc..  But they are more dangerous for the reasons described above, so it would not be my first choice for myself or anyone in my family.  

• Like 1