2 wheeler vs 4 wheeler for young lad

G'day all, just after some advice as I'm getting mixed thoughts from my research so far.

Looking at buying my 8yr old boy either a bike or quad for xmas, to get him off the bloody ipads/tvs ect and get him outside!

From my research I can see a lot of people say stay away from quads, but I also noticed it's usually when kids ride adult size quads that bad things happen. Would an age appropriate quad with lanyard killswitch, and things like throttle governor be okay? Would mainly be riding on flat open land until I know he can handle himself, even then I'd be riding behind him

Or is it truly safer to go with a two wheeler? My boy just thinks quads are awesome, main reason I looked at them.

Was planning on buying either from Thumpstar, any reviews on these would be handy too.

Cheers!

Start him on a kid appropriate trials bike and teach him to ride for real. After that everything else is simple. Skills he'll have for life.

• Like 3

Age appropriate quad is the way to go. 

You can never start too early. Grandson, 18 months. Lovin it!

Carson Riding.jpg

Just now, 450Ruf said:

Carson Riding.jpg

That's awesome!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Quadtarded is no way to go through life.

B2VZbs-CEAAe-Ks.jpg

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Doc_d said:

Quadtarded is no way to go through life.

Can get him a 2 wheeler in future lol. More asking are they really that dangerous if it's the right size

Posted (edited)

IMHO, 2 wheelers are much safer, go with a bike.  I've seen plenty of injuries at the local track, but the only death I'm aware of was a kid on a quad.  Crashes are inevitable, but on a 2-wheeler the bike and rider usually separate, but 4-wheelers tend to end up on top of the rider more often.  For example, falling backwards down a hill, going over the bars, or falling over sideways.  A 2 wheeler will likely pogo off to the side, but the 4-wheeler will tumble and is more likely to tumble on top of the rider.  And they're much heavier than bikes, so when they do end up on top of the rider injuries are more likely.  It horrifies me to watch kids on quads climb hills, knowing just a little too much throttle and they're under it.  Also invest in good gear, don't skimp.  

If you go the trials route, check out the E-bikes from OSET.  Electric are bikes are excellent for beginners, the power is smooth and predictable and they don't have to think about shifting.  

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 7

I have owned a bunch of dirt bikes and 1 quad. from my observations quads will eventually roll over on top of the rider where a dirt bike will slide out from under the rider. in my opinion a person should not ride a quad unless that person is big and strong enough to survive having the quad roll over on top of him/her. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 450Ruf said:

Carson Riding.jpg

Huh! That quad looks Infinetly too big for him too me?!

My opinion since you asked is keep them off a quad.  When a quad rolls, they are heavy and they like to keep rolling and when that happens and your son is under it, well, things get broken and I'm not meaning the quad.  Quads can be replaced, little buddies, thats a whole different story.  If he tips over the bike, they will generally stay down and not roll over you over and over depending on where he tips it over.  They just scare me I guess.  I have had two bid quads and have had my kid's friends roll them and get hurt.  Luckily, none of the parents were wanting to profit from it.

• Like 1

Most don't like to hear it but the only time a quad is more stable than a bike is when it is sitting still on level ground.  Anytime they are on uneven ground or moving they are inherently more dangerous than a motorcycle.  When (not it) they end up on top of your little buddy, they are substantially heavier to get off....

Started my boys on bikes when they were just over 3 and wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sirthumpalot said:

IMHO, 2 wheelers are much safer, go with a bike

Agreed. Quads are heavy and can tip over pretty easily.

• Like 1

2 wheels, as mentioned above, skills he will have for life.

• Like 1

There's only two reasons I would ever own a quad:

1) If I had a bunch of land and needed it for work.

2) Going hunting to haul deer out of the woods.

Both cases I would get a utility quad strictly for "utility", I would never buy one for recreation. Like others have said: bikes make you learn skills you will the the rest of your life, are safer, more fun (my opinion), can go places quads can't, etc...

• Like 1

Appreciate all the feedback guys! Looks like I'll go the 2 wheel option as many good points have been made

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BerserkAUS said:

Appreciate all the feedback guys! Looks like I'll go the 2 wheel option as many good points have been made

You do as you wish. But this site is anti quad. All bias opinions. All my kids grew up riding both and respecting the terrain. Kids can get hurt riding any form of bike. It’s the parents responsibly to teach and guide. Good luck and be safe. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 95silverstallion said:

Huh! That quad looks Infinetly too big for him too me?!

Obviously! It was to be, a funny pic. ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On another perspective, a quad is something a kid can get on and just push the throttle and off it goes, this is inherently a dangerous thing as they (or their friend) can get on one without having the skills to correctly stop, turn and operate it safely.  The dangers are not only rolling, but collisions with and also squashing someone against an object like a tree or fence.

A bike is less forgiving, if they can't ride or steer, they will fall off before they gather a lot of inertia. They also steer the same as a pushy which will be familiar to most kids.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

28 minutes ago, 450Ruf said:

You do as you wish. But this site is anti quad. All bias opinions. All my kids grew up riding both and respecting the terrain. Kids can get hurt riding any form of bike. It’s the parents responsibly to teach and guide. Good luck and be safe. 

Oh I didn't realise it was anti quad haha. Makes sense. I need to research riding areas where I live also, as that will play a part in fully deciding as well.