Dangerranger1973

Skate Creek trails

I saw on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest map that there are trails off skate creek road, what kind of trails are these, what’s the difficultly rating you would put them at and about how many miles of trails? 

5 hours ago, Dangerranger1973 said:

I saw on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest map that there are trails off skate creek road, what kind of trails are these, what’s the difficultly rating you would put them at and about how many miles of trails? 

One trail I know of up there is Suntop trail. Starts easy but there are a few challenging steps and tight switchbacks. It’s a total of 16 miles up and back. Not sure of the rider rating system but I am no expert and I handled it by myself crashing once coming down a switchback and took a branch to the face. Fun trail though. I’d be willing to scope some trail out up there sometime though. 

You would be referring to the Sawtooth area. Not much mileage. I'd say at least intermediate skill level. If you're that close, you'd be better served, driving another 30-40 min. to Randle, and hitting the well known riding area. That whole Skate Creek area is fun to explore but alas, has very few established riding trails...on any maps.

• Like 1

I’ve rode a bunch down on in randle great riding but I have just been looking for more. I rode Elbe back in the day off pleasant valley road. All unmarked but you could go anywhere. I rode out there in March but there was to much snow to explore. Just looking for another spot to ride that I could hit up after work. Randles a little far for that. I saw there are 5 trails on the map so there has to be enough for a good afternoon ride.

I’ve rode a bunch down on in randle great riding but I have just been looking for more. I rode Elbe back in the day off pleasant valley road. All unmarked but you could go anywhere. I rode out there in March but there was to much snow to explore. Just looking for another spot to ride that I could hit up after work. Randles a little far for that. I saw there are 5 trails on the map so there has to be enough for a good afternoon ride.
It would certainly keep you busy for an afternoon. Much of the area is best left undocumented, and/or off the grid. The trails used to let you land in Randle...once upon a time. It's a cool area, overall.