D K

Beta in Colorado

Hello

im looking to buy a Beta used for trail riding. 

My queation is - was there a time frame when Betas really changed for th better?

Ive seen used ones 2005-2010 that are resonably piced. 

I understand that the early ons had a ktm engine. 

Is there a certain yar to stay away from?

thank you

David

Which Beta are you looking for exactly and what’s your price range? I got my ‘17 300RR for $6k. Also live in CO. I think 16+ is a good route for the 300’s.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, drakes67 said:

Which Beta are you looking for exactly and what’s your price range? I got my ‘17 300RR for $6k. Also live in CO. I think 16+ is a good route for the 300’s.

Y not a 13-15? 

• Helpful 1

Y not a 13-15? 

From everything I’ve read (take that fwiw) it just seems like the bike got better (oil injection if that’s your thing, airbox redesign, shock mount, etc..). 13-15 may very well be a great bike too. Hell many of the parts are the same. I like a bike that has some of those early kinks worked out.

26 minutes ago, drakes67 said:

From everything I’ve read (take that fwiw) it just seems like the bike got better (oil injection if that’s your thing, airbox redesign, shock mount, etc..). 13-15 may very well be a great bike too. Hell many of the parts are the same. I like a bike that has some of those early kinks worked out.

2016 was the first year of oil injection. Some say the first year or two wasn’t so great and then by 18 and certainly by 19 it became very reliable. I haven’t had any airbox or shock mount issues on my 15. 

• Helpful 1

2016 was the first year of oil injection. Some say the first year or two wasn’t so great and then by 18 and certainly by 19 it became very reliable. I haven’t had any airbox or shock mount issues on my 15. 

I never said it was an issue, but rather an improvement. The oil injection thing kind of goes hand in hand with what I said... early kinks being worked out.

I bought the first year of the FI WR450F’s. I want to avoid that mess again.

Hello. 

My last bike was a Gas Gas300 and even though I liked that bike, it did have a tendency to shed parts off it during rides and I didnt particularly care for the customer service. 

Im looking for a 4stroke this time. 

I have seen some pretty attractive deals on the earlier bikes that came with the ktm engine. 

Were the earlier beta engined bikes better?

for my price range Im looking at 09-13 bikes or there anouts. 

Also had question about suspension. 

I know they changed a lot over the years. 

Are there certain years that came with better suspension than others?

The RFS engine was a very reliable motor, 2011 was the first year of the Beta 4 stroke and is every bit as reliable. I have a 2012 450 which has never missed a beat so either one would be a good choice. Suspension wise, I am not sure what they used on the pre 2011 bikes but my 2012 has Sachs gear.

• Like 1

This is my buddy's beta 450 w/ the KTM RFS motor....

20151107-114101.jpg

i've been riding with him since  2011 when he first bought it to replace his DRZ400. To this day,  I've NEVER seen his bike broke down, it's never puked coolant, nor kicked him off to the side of the trail....and we ride in pretty far off remote, rocky stuff.  He's still riding this bike. If I was in the market for another thumper, this bike would be on my short list. It's not the latest and greatest, so it's got a little weight behind it,  but a little bit of  weight is your buddy when you're riding this kinda stuff we do here,  ie, no deflection  (vs. smoker)

1.jpg

• Helpful 2

I own a 2005 Beta 525 RR, its got the KTM 525 RFS engine. It's a great bike. Some of the Beta specific parts (rear hub for example) have to be ordered from Italy, can be a pain. Also aftermarket parts are limited, although many of the parts are standard KTM.

The RFS motor Beta's are great bikes, but if I was looking for a Beta, I would buy the newest one I could afford, just like any other bike.  -Ed

• Like 2

My 2011 450RR had 50mm Marzokes on them. Dont remember what was on back. Never had issues with it. Seat height was lower and was a little heavy but I liked it. 

6 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Y not a 13-15? 

I have a 2015 300rr race addition and absolutely love it! The only problem I have had is the starter, but to me that's kinda of a maintenance thing. You wouldn't be disappointed 

• Like 1

I have a 2010 400RR that I converted for dual sport. First year of Beta engine. Very smooth engine, good power down low and up high. I upgraded to the 2011 cam chain tensioner upgrade, just because I wanted to, I wasn't having problems. Keep the plastic oil pump gears changed every 100 hours or so. I've owned it since 2011 and it has been flawless

• Helpful 2

8 hours ago, drakes67 said:

2013 to 2015 250/300rr are great bikes. I had a 2013. It got stolen and now a 15’ 2015 300 rr also rode newer 2t 250/300 rr Beta. I have an 09 525 rs and a 12 350 race too. All are good.  Actually the 2013 300 rr top end is preferred over newer Beta 2t by some who have ridden both. There really wasn’t much as far as motor and chassis that wasn’t good. Actually each new model into from Beta has been excellent from first time out.  The suspension was upgraded a little more each year and the tank went from 2 gal to 2.5 gal from 13 to 14’ 300 rr. Just small upgrades happened every year so far. This year may be the year of the biggest change in upgrades for Beta. If I had my 2013 Beta 300 rr I wouldn’t want to upgrade. Well when the 2020 come out we will see. No need to upgrade so far though to me. Id just keep and do systematic upgrades like revalve suspension etc. 

The first years rfs motor bikes are great bikes especially for the probably cheap prices you could get them for. Those are 10 plus years old so some deals can be had. You could get a bunch of newer but used Beta for cheap too. Just shop around. Look for low hour Beta and well taken care of bikes and price of course. 

Im still good keeping my 525rs.  It’s a very little known and very underrated first gen Beta that you might find for low prices.  Few ktm motored Beta were even imported to US.

All goof info!

thanks

Don’t see any on there now, but the Phoenix CL can have some stellar deals.

12 hours ago, D K said:

All goof info!

thanks

Ha, I think that's the opposite of what you wanted to say... or was it. 😄