Tell me about your favorite riding event

Posted (edited)

In an effort to improve the Off Road Riders For Veteran's charity events. I would like to know what you liked about your favorite riding events.

Our next event is at Mathew Meadows at FS RD 1906 in the Little Naches on September 28th. The flyer will be ready in a week.

We are also working on The Mattawa 100 at the end of April next year.

Go to www.offroadridersforveterans.com for updated information on the charity.

Thank you for your help!

Russ

Edited by Russ Henry
  • Like 2

Glad to see you are still at it Russ. Not much of an events rider, but i like your low key events.

Posted (edited)

I am totally down for a Mattawa 100, or even a Vantage 100....heck, lets do both :banana:

Edited by Slackkinhard

2 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

I am totally down for a Mattawa 100, or even a Vantage 100....heck, lets do both :banana:

Currently working with the BLM to make it happen. Sounds like as long as the course does not go through the sensitive areas we will be good to go.

My trail guy thinks he can put together a 35 mile loop connecting all the canyons. 

• Like 2

Riding for a cause is always great!

Good people, good riding, good food, all seem to be winning combination at the races and poker runs that are popular in Oregon and Washington. 

Established events with history seem to be the largest attended, with Shelton valley poker run and Smugglers sticking out in my mind with huge attendance. I'm sure it took time to grow, but once it's established and folks have a great time, the event seems to always get marked on the calendar. 

As far as locations, long drives from metro areas are tough for most folks, but the riding is usually better. 

Morrow Co OHV is pretty remote, but their infastructure is in place to support 100's of campers/riders and was home to the Monkeybutt Harescramble years ago. They have everything already in place, including EMS, showers, full hookups, restaurant, etc for large events.

Keep up the good work Russ, the Sept date is on my calendar!

I’m probably an outlier, but I really haven’t loved most of the events I’ve ridden. D100 being the exception. Rode one of the SDR events this year, it was really just 50 miles of easy trail stuck behind other riders. Part of the problem was the long and short course kept intersecting and splitting, so you ended up stuck behind the same groups over and over again. Always fun being on a Dirtbike, but I’d probably rather just go out for a ride.

I’d jump at the chance to ride something more geared toward hard/extreme enduro in WA state.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HHey said:

I’m probably an outlier, but I really haven’t loved most of the events I’ve ridden. D100 being the exception. Rode one of the SDR events this year, it was really just 50 miles of easy trail stuck behind other riders. Part of the problem was the long and short course kept intersecting and splitting, so you ended up stuck behind the same groups over and over again. Always fun being on a Dirtbike, but I’d probably rather just go out for a ride.

I’d jump at the chance to ride something more geared toward hard/extreme enduro in WA state.

Should of rode the Ironman route with us at Russ's Manashtash event.

I like scenery and discovery, annotated roll charts are cool, nice camping location is a plus. Changing terrain through the day is good, I'm not a tech snob like all these spoiled Warshingtin peeps, but I'm more likely to turn out for DS events anyway, for those reasons.

I liked the 1st year sdr with all the rain, flooding, slippery roots and sticks. Dry sdr was fun but not as crazy fun. Demo'ing the new huskys was fun. Taking that turbo 4wd thing out at night was a blast. Leading the kids around at belfair was fun, had to reroute some carb vent lines with all those deep puddles. Eating the Nagles food is always the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHey said:

You will like my events. Riders get a route card with 3 to 4 routes of varying distance and difficulty. You ride when,what and how much. No bottle necks and no complaints about dust because everyone is so spread out. When you come into camp. The chef will make you a custom Super Sandwhich

• Like 1

You will like my events. Riders get a route card with 3 to 4 routes of varying distance and difficulty. You ride when,what and how much. No bottle necks and no complaints about dust because everyone is so spread out. When you come into camp. The chef will make you a custom Super Sandwhich

That sounds awesome. I’m in.

I was riding ‘sweep’ when Highmarker was leading the kids, great fun.   I always like to see the kids out there and try to make it fun for them.

I don’t ride many events, the one I always try to do is the Turkey Run run by the motorcycle club here in PA. Mostly since I see guys I only see once a year. Plus I’ve been riding it on and off for over 40 years.

well russ, as we talked at the last rimrock race, I love that set up as the kids blast all weekend and then the adults get  to race on sunday and if you do the short course you can watch the pros tangle during the long course, the set up at the silver beach resort is great, camp fires, store , diner, rv hookups, etc , important to me is mild weather conditions, ample riding area, riding for the kids, and safe fun, moderately difficult course that you can blast , safe pit/camp area,

I ve done the rimrock race, silver mountain enduro challenge, starvation ridge, eddieville, horn rapids, and desert 100, all have their advantages and disadvantages but the more family friendly fun the more I am interested

• Like 1