VanGuy

BC trip in Sept 2019 - McNutt, Squamish or Kamloops?

I'm looking for fellow intermediate/advanced singletrack riders to join up on a trip to BC in September. Thinking of camping for 3 days but flexible on dates and locations. Who's interested?

I've been watching some epic trails on YouTube and figure it's time to go check it out. Any suggestions on where would be great that time of year?

On 7/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, VanGuy said:

I'm looking for fellow intermediate/advanced singletrack riders to join up on a trip to BC in September. Thinking of camping for 3 days but flexible on dates and locations. Who's interested?

I've been watching some epic trails on YouTube and figure it's time to go check it out. Any suggestions on where would be great that time of year?

It will likely all be good in Sept. If you are coming to the coast you could do Mcnutt, Vedder, Chipmunk. Squamish is also good but kind of a smaller riding area. 

You could also do the interior, Kelowna, Vernon, Salmon Arm all fairly close together for 3 days of riding. Kamloops has lots or Lytton could keep you busy for 3 days itself, just not really close to anything else.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, VanGuy said:

September can be a bit iffy and you could get snow at Duffy/Greenstone (Kamloops) cus the main camp site is at a fairly high elevation. I've been there lots from June to September if you go after the Sept long weekend you will have the whole place to yourself (even Sept long weekend wouldn't be busy). If there is a camp host on site you can get a GKMA membership for like $20 and you get the Avenza trail maps for Duffy as wheel as Inks and Chewels. IMO getting the trail maps are key cus all the area's are huge and getting lost could be an issue. Let me know if you use Avenza (which you should) and I can get you the trail maps. IMO mostly fast/flowy single track but there are some hard technical trails. If the guy camp host is actually on site, they are usually more than happy to take you on the BIG BOY trails :) and you could spent a week there hit the other 2 areas. $12 a night to camp, good campsite for large vehicles. No trail fees, toilets but no water etc  so you need to be self sufficient.

http://www.gkma.ca/

I went to Bear Creek outside of Kelowna for the fist time last Sept and another HUGE riding area with good cheap camping and fire wood. You could probably spent 3 days there and overall not super technical but LOTS of fast and flowy single at its best. If you are interested and you don't really need to register before and you're basically paying for a daily trail pass (you can get them from the host) the camping and all the fire wood (host will bring it to you) and all you can burn cus both are free with the daily trail pass.

They have good trails on site but you can download the GPX or KMZ of the trails from here and again having a GPS/maps etc are KEY.

https://www.okanagantrailriders.com/

Otherwise you could base yourself in the lower mainland and hit all those area's in a few days. Then 1hr or so drive up to Squamish and with driving, you can spent a whole day riding both areas. Cat Lake is more technical and Lava Flow is fast/flowy. I live in Squamish so let me know if you plan on hitting here.

Then as mentioned there are other areas which IMO are places you got to for at least a few days (Onion Lake) and I've yet to ride every area in BC and always interesting/fun to go to a new place :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like starting at McNutt and making our way around the coast will give some variety and best chance to find stuff we like.  

Very interested. Been pining for a BC camp-n-ride trip. Bear Cr and Vedder are wants.

1 minute ago, BaddAndy said:

Very interested. Been pining for a BC camp-n-ride trip. Bear Cr and Vedder are wants.

Vedder can be covered in less then a day... Fun but not very challenging. Bear Creek is good though... 

4 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Vedder can be covered in less then a day... Fun but not very challenging. Bear Creek is good though... 

Variety is the spice of life.

Sounds good. Anyone else?  [mention=517237]HHey[/mention] [mention=415712]KaToomTime[/mention] [mention=349874]dan500afc[/mention] [mention=276857]cougbike[/mention]

Sounds rad! I gotta wait for this broken rib to heal up though, will have to wait and see how I feel in a few weeks.

I'm interested in this depending on what weekend you decide to go.

Vancouver Island should be on your list. We have great places to ride here on the island

I second that! McNutt was cool, but I really wanna get back to Van Island!
  • Like 1

Sounds good. Anyone else?  [mention=517237]HHey[/mention] [mention=415712]KaToomTime[/mention] [mention=349874]dan500afc[/mention] [mention=276857]cougbike[/mention]

Thanks for the invite. Think I’m staying close the rest of this year maybe a Gifford and foggy dew trip

Let me know when you guys come up, if I'm around I'll give you a tour of my local trails or at least set you up with someone who can if I'm away. 

• Like 2

Looks like the weekend of 9/14 works for a few people. 

@PNWenduro - where are you? Any reco's on where to camp?

3 minutes ago, VanGuy said:

Looks like the weekend of 9/14 works for a few people. 

@PNWenduro - where are you? Any reco's on where to camp?

I'm in Idaho that week, not sure if I'll be home by the weekend but I'll let you know. I'm in the lower mainland, close to McNutt. Camping at Tamahi and Chipmunk creek both riding areas are close to Vedder. Also camping on Cultus lake a few minutes from Vedder. Close to Mcnutt is Golden ears provincial park, busy but should have died down by then as school will be back in. 

I might be interested. I’ll see what I got going on and get back to you. Just got back from a week at naches. 

Getting close now. Who’s in for McNutt on Sep 13 to 15? Looking for dates that work for at least 3 people. 

3 hours ago, VanGuy said:

Getting close now. Who’s in for McNutt on Sep 13 to 15? Looking for dates that work for at least 3 people. 

I am slammed at work through January so that means everything non-work is jammed into weekends. I would love to make it up there but it would be meeting you guys in the AM and riding for the day I am not going to be able to do a multi-day trip. :(