92 kx125 powervalve cover plate?

Posted (edited)

Last week I bought my first bike. 92 kx125. It runs, starts on first kick but it's pretty rough. Today I started cleaning it to find where all its leaking from. This part doesnt have a cover. Pretty sure it's the power valve. Anyone have a part number or the correct name for what I need? Having trouble finding it online

20190714_181642.jpg

Edited by Taintracks
Missed a word

Looks like it's been missing for a while. Your only source is fleabay for that item or a atv salvage yard. I wouldn't ride it until the cover is found, bought and installed. I would also remove the top end and have a good look at all the parts and clean them real good with easy off oven cleaner. Wear gloves as that shit will stick to your skin and take a while to wear off.

• Like 1

The seal where that pull rod shaft goes into the cylinder is clearly toast as well.  There should be no oil getting out, with or without that cover.

I would not recommend putting a significant amount of work and money into that bike.  Crucial parts are no longer available and it would never be worth anywhere near what it would cost to go through it and make it a solid, reliable bike.  They really weren't great even when they were new.  The amount of development and improvement from 92 to 98 was nearly as much as there had been from 86 to 92.  My 98 powered 1997 KX is one of the best overall bikes I've ever had.  Find a late K series or L/M series bike, pay a little more for a clean example and go from there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

The seal where that pull rod shaft goes into the cylinder is clearly toast as well.  There should be no oil getting out, with or without that cover.

I would not recommend putting a significant amount of work and money into that bike.  Crucial parts are no longer available and it would never be worth anywhere near what it would cost to go through it and make it a solid, reliable bike.  They really weren't great even when they were new.  The amount of development and improvement from 92 to 98 was nearly as much as there had been from 86 to 92.  My 98 powered 1997 KX is one of the best overall bikes I've ever had.  Find a late K series or L/M series bike, pay a little more for a clean example and go from there.

Man that sucks to hear. Guess I'll just putt around on it til it breaks and sell it for a cheap parts bike

Edited by Taintracks
Mis spell

14090-1130 is the part for the cover, you'll also need a gasket and two screws. Parts for these bikes are still around....but you'll have to turn some stones to find them. I've seen several over the years restored quite nicely. Do you have any pics of it??

Edited by OldMechanik
  • Like 1

Just now, OldMechanik said:

Parts for these bikes are still around....but you'll have to turn some stones to find them. I've seen several over the years restored quite nicely. Do you have any pics of it??

Like I said it's kind of rough, I took exhaust off and looks brand new in there. No scratches. Didnt get pics of that tho

20190714_184153.jpg

That's actually not too bad....I have definitely seen worse. Many maintenance  parts are still available, clutch, piston, cylinder replate, chain/sprox.... With no disrespect to Turbo dan, I would certainly clean that one up. Inspect the frame for cracks as the quality was not so great on those, go through everything and replace/rebuild/clean up all that you can. Some plastic/graphics and powdercoat will go a long ways on it. Again, you may certainly have to work to find a few things and no doubt refurbish a bunch but it should be a doable project.

• Like 3

Thanks. And I'm not doing anything extreme like jumps or racing. Just hitting trails. Doubt I'll even take it past 3rd gear

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Google  Yeltric motorsports ..  find breakdown to get part #  then  EBAY ...

Yea Man! I've bought parts from (jake1017), his is $12 with free shipping. Or go brand new for $6.87 and pay shipping cost from 2wheelPros.com plus get the bolt and gasket. But if it needs a new piston and clean up the exhaust valves while the engine in broke down then there might be a top-end gasket kit from RockyMountainATVMC where I go to, to buy all my parts or should I say most of them.

2 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

www.kawasaki.com has a free owner's manual

rockymountain.com for a better parts microfiche and cheap parts prices.

Nice find about the manual being free. I like you always suggest tracking down a manual before turning wrenches. Yea! R/M is user friendly but ya need a log-in account to look at KAWA Parts. Suggest riding a Suzuki to eliminate a step of searching for parts on most OEM Part(s) Sites. I know I am lazy that way, less steps to victory...