cracked rim...how bad?

How bad is it to ride dual sport with a cracked rim like this? can it be welded? Just mount a tire and go? I don't ride anything extreme.

cracked rim.jpg

I wouldn't use it any longer. Replace the rim or wheel. It's not worth the impending crash that's going to happen if you continue to use it.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, craig3x said:

How bad is it to ride dual sport with a cracked rim like this? can it be welded? Just mount a tire and go? I don't ride anything extreme.

cracked rim.jpg

How much do you value your health, fitness and wellbeing? 

Are you prepared to have it fail at speed? 

• Like 6

593758574_crackedrim.thumb.jpg.3d7e2d2e99d571ce3c2f863ed27b31df.jpg

That’s a bad crack don’t run it if you value not dying
  • Like 6

Would not take much of a hit to result in complete destruction.  A moderate bump would probably do it.  Don't ride that rim.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Would not take much of a hit to result in complete destruction.  A moderate bump would probably do it.  Don't ride that rim.

well I believe that's the answer to my question I am going to have to sell some parts and get a rim.

It's important to keep in mind that it's not a 'good' wheel except for the crack. It's cracked because it lacks integrity. The crack is the symptom of the wheel failing, even before the crack appeared.

• Like 2

When we see cracks like this in the wheel it is normally right where the rim is welded together and is non repairable. even if you weld it together again it will continue to crack and break the new weld.  Time for a new rim and possibly new spokes.

Thanks-

Eric

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

Time for a new rim and possibly new spokes.

Totally agree.

Why lace a wheel with questionable plated spokes. Get stainless.

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, craig3x said:

cracked rim.jpg

Try looking at whole wheels for sale too . Shop around. Prices might be worth it than buying stainless spokes and a new rim and doing it yourself. If you haven’t done a relacing of a rim it’s not that bad. There’s lots of threads and YouTube vids to help too. Usually buying a rim and spokes is a bit cheaper but just buying a wheel of course is easier. .. it might be cheaper if you shop well enough.,

• Like 2

Take your bolt cutters and snip all of those spokes. That's right cut them suckers off and throw them in the scrap pile along with that DEATH rim. Time to put new bearings in your hub, go ahead and polish it up all nice and shiny like if you want. Wrap it up and send it to Buchanan's (I think that's the name of the place in California) They will send it back with a new rim and shiny stainless steel spokes. Or, drive your self crazy and respoke it yourself. Either way, junk that rim !!!! It will get you maimed or killed. A funeral will cost your family 5 or 6 thousand bucks, new rim, and spokes a few hundred or so. Which is more cost effective? ( Buchanan's 805 W 8th St, Azusa, CA 91702 (626) 969-4655 ) I made it easy for you, your welcome.

• Like 6

I found tusk and dna are a pretty good bang for the buck. I mean if you’re not wanting to spend too much you could always go with those TKE cheapo wheels but I mean……

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harley thumper said:

well I believe that's the answer to my question I am going to have to sell some parts and get a rim.

Sell your seat, maybe your side panels and speedometer.  Most of the other parts are kinda essential.

• Haha 3

It's where it was welded when manufactured. Had the same thing with mine. Had mine welded by a guy that knows what he's doing. Ground it smooth on the inside but left the excess weld on the outside. Never had a problem since. Just keep an eye on it. It's not like it's going to explode or anything. At worst it will just start to crack again. Seriously it's no big deal and I can't believe the advice you are getting here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1