DT100 questions

Posted (edited)

Hi, just got my '82 dt100 going and have a few questions. How to you turn on the headlight? The controls only have a hi and lo setting. Also the horn does not work and the control panel lights (neutral, oil, high beam, and turn) are not on. Also, under the seat it looks like there should be a battery but there isn't and I do not know where the terminals are. Last question, how much would a running DT100 in my condition go for?

IMG_4938.JPG

Edited by xz225f

13 minutes ago, William1 said:

That bike as is, running is worth about $100

On a good day if he's lucky...

56 minutes ago, William1 said:

You need a service manual. That bike as is, running is worth about $100

That is a profit. Got 2 for 60 and got the carb for 20. How about restored?

2 hours ago, xz225f said:

That is a profit. Got 2 for 60 and got the carb for 20. How about restored?

After parts and consumables to clean, paint and de-rust it,, less profit than if it was sold for $100 as is. Not taking labor into account, free or otherwise.

4 hours ago, xz225f said:

Hi, just got my '82 dt100 going and have a few questions. How to you turn on the headlight? The controls only have a hi and lo setting. Also the horn does not work and the control panel lights (neutral, oil, high beam, and turn) are not on. Also, under the seat it looks like there should be a battery but there isn't and I do not know where the terminals are. Last question, how much would a running DT100 in my condition go for?

IMG_4938.JPG

Honestly, based on your questions, you should have a local shop fix that for you. These are really simple things to diagnose and simple to fix. Dash lights. Fuse?

Look inside the headlight shell. Make sure all the wires are connected correctly (it's all color coded). You don't need that battery to make it run. It is basically there to make the tail light shine when the engine is not running but the key is "ON". Federal safety rules etc. Double check all the ground wires (lots of times that's the problem). Get a book you can figure it out. Clean all connections dirt can be a problem. Good luck!

42 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Did you sell the taillight ??

no, it did not have one when I got it. I opened the headlight and the wires look good. On this chineese quad nothing was working on the controls on the handle bar and it turns out the connections were old and corroded. Maybe new handle bar controls? I will open them up and clean them and check the ground connections

and I am still puzzled how to turn the headlight on

I believe the headlight is wired into the ignition switch ..  always on when key is on .  Runs off battery until stator kicks in when engine starts , charging battery ...

The battery should most likely be a 6 volt.  It acts like a voltage sink for when the output of the stator is too much for the electrical system to handle.  Like when the bike over revs.  If all the lights are not working the voltage surge will burn out all the lite bulbs.  The headlite will not turn on until the bike is running.  Check all the light bulbs to see if they are burnt out.

How do you know if they are burnt out? So the headlight is always on?

Some of the older bikes had a three position ignition switch. 1. off  2. on 3. on with headlite.  To check the bulb, some you can physically see if the little wires are between the posts, or you can hook two wires from a flashlite battery to the lite, or use a multi meter.

4 hours ago, Old Blue said:

Some of the older bikes had a three position ignition switch. 1. off  2. on 3. on with headlite.  To check the bulb, some you can physically see if the little wires are between the posts, or you can hook two wires from a flashlite battery to the lite, or use a multi meter.

The light has 3 prongs and wouldn’t it run on AC current?

14 hours ago, xz225f said:

The light has 3 prongs and wouldn’t it run on AC current?

Yes. You could hook up a multimeter to the plug that connects to your headlight plug. Start the engine, and see if you're getting any voltage to the plug. If you are, your bulb or connection right at the headlight is faulty. If no voltage, you'll need to start tracing the wiring back from there. The attached might help.

82-83DT100J.KWiringDiagram.jpg.6a77050f1718b22a530d63849e534c1a.jpg