idrzaho

When trail riding with your kids...

Do you make them ride in front so you can see them, or behind so oncoming riders don't head-on with them?

In back so I can pace them. They can watch me encounter obstacles and definitely to stop them before another rider approaches

• Like 1

In the rear. Experience riders in the front.

• Like 1

When I ride with my kids I am in the middle so they can keep an eye on me. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

On known trails,  I keep them in front so I can give feedback and watch technique.   If unknown or challenging,  I ride in front.   

20180703_095801.jpg

Edited by ninjabones
  • Like 5

Little bit of everything. When they were younger and inexperienced, behind me. Now, I let them run point every now and then to let them feel the rush of near miss head ons. Also gives me time to shoot video of them to watch with them later. 

My dad put me in back when I was inexperienced, but now that i'm more experienced we just kind of play around and move around postions wise now.

• Like 1

Where are you guys riding that you’re worried about so much oncoming traffic? Must be sh!thole overcrowded Idaho.  I had the same experience when I went there. I never run into that problem in Oregon or Washington which is why I consider those places to be the best riding in the country. Especially the PNW. 

• Like 2

We always had a leader and a sweep rider when they were young. 

Once older my son hated leading. Its much easier to follow at the same pace. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Where are you guys riding that you’re worried about so much oncoming traffic? Must be sh!thole overcrowded Idaho.  I had the same experience when I went there. I never run into that problem in Oregon or Washington which is why I consider those places to be the best riding in the country. Especially the PNW. 

Wow. You're pretty special. 

Edited by 69fastback
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why yes, it is in sh!thole Idaho. When I ride with my buddies, we rarely see others, but with my inexperienced son, we are riding tamer, more accessible trails. We have never come up on others going the opposite direction, but it is my greatest fear to have some trail racer come around a blind corner and hit my son. Although I have taught him, he is not experienced enough to be aware of dust in the distance, or a flash of a headlight, neon colors through the trees, etc. I'm sure you are the only rider on the trail in PNW, but I would like to keep my family as safe as possible in this dangerous sport.
  • Like 2

I need to be in the front, on the two way trails, so if someone is coming in hot, I can take the hit and save the younger one(s).  Mine are only 7 and 9.  

• Like 1

Do you make them ride in front so you can see them, or behind so oncoming riders don't head-on with them?

I think there are positives to both leading g and following. If they lead they can set the pace, and it gives you the opportunity to watch over them. However, if they follow they can see what you're doing and learn from you. I don't think there is a right or wrong, just do what fits you and your family. Maybe do both so that you'll both get benefits from following and leading.

Growing up my dad did both (leading and following) for me and my brother. Usually we would follow him at the start of a ride and at some point he would pull over and wave us to pass him. The more experience and older we got, the more he would let us lead. Especially to hang back to observe and encourage us when one or both got stuck and/or frustrated on a technical part.

He ingrained in us rules like:

-keep to the right

-let the faster/bigger guys pass

-you are responsible for the guy behind you (dont let them fall too far behind, stop and wait if the trail forks off)

• Like 1

Lead.  The first time I let my daughter lead, she got hit by a rider coming the opposite direction around a curve on a jeep road.  All her fault.  Fortunately, no one got hurt, and the only damage was a bent rotor.  When she took off in front, I thought, “this is a bad idea”, but I let her stay.  A couple hundred yards later, BAM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Lead.  The first time I let my daughter lead, she got hit by a rider coming the opposite direction around a curve on a jeep road.  All her fault.  Fortunately, no one got hurt, and the only damage was a bent rotor.  When she took off in front, I thought, “this is a bad idea”, but I let her stay.  A couple hundred yards later, BAM.

A parents worst fear, right there.  Good that she was ok.  

Unless the trails are one-way, I will insist on being the lead until they know to ride like something is always coming at them around every corner/curve.  

• Like 3

I typically lead but as my son has gotten older I will let him lead at times if we are on one way trails or it’s an empty riding area. He’s 12 and getting faster...at times he’s right on my rear fender!

Posted (edited)

My 15YO son can zip through some of the trails faster than me so at times he leads.  Regardless I enforce keeping to the right and never blindly going into a turn.  I also put a LED / Strobe type light on all of our bikes.  Not going to help in any area with tight turns but we can be spotted on straight sections from a reasonable distance.  Maryland has very little trails available so we are unfortunately forced to ride some of the more crowded areas in PA that are two-way.  We tend to go riding on select Maryland school holidays and midweek to minimize crowds.

Rechargeable and lasts an entire day+ on flash mode.

https://www.rei.com/product/110179/cygolite-dash-pro-600-front-bike-light

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, R1peacock said:

My 15YO son can zip through some of the trails faster than me so at times he leads.  Regardless I enforce keeping to the right and never blindly going into a turn.  I also put a LED / Strobe type light on all of our bikes.  Not going to help in any area with tight turns but we can be spotted on straight sections from a reasonable distance.  Maryland has very little trails available so we are unfortunately forced to ride some of the more crowded areas in PA that are two-way.  We tend to go riding on select Maryland school holidays and midweek to minimize crowds.

Rechargeable and lasts an entire day+ on flash mode.

https://www.rei.com/product/110179/cygolite-dash-pro-600-front-bike-light

Until idiots on kwads come around a corner out of control, like my thread about kids on kwads. I was being cautious, unfortunately you can't control others.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

I need to be in the front, on the two way trails, so if someone is coming in hot, I can take the hit and save the younger one(s).  Mine are only 7 and 9.  

My sons are the same age, 7 & 9. On fire roads and the like, I lead and they follow. When traveling across wide open deserts, I let them take the lead and chose the path. 

Either way I'm not a fan of riding with only 1 adult and younger kids. I like bringing grandpa or a friend - one of us leads, the other sweeps. My dad always likes the invite, especially cause it's an excuse to hang out with his grandsons.  

• Like 1