Oil choice

IMG_0790.JPG

Anyone running this oil in there 450l?

About to do an oil change at 300 miles.

Should I stick with Honda oil? Or go with this?

I’ve been running this oil in all my other bikes...

• Like 1

This  is exactly the oil I have used in my last 10 bikes. Never had any engine related failure it is good quality and you pay less than I do for the same size bottle 

• Like 1

$48 a gallon, wow.  

Not the price I actually pay. Just wondering if Honda oil is the better choice.

Any name brand synth mc oil is prob fine.  Honda's oil is prob fine.  Not sure if honda's is full synth or not.  If you do the 600mi or sooner oil changes i'm not even sure i'd bother with synth.  Any name brand oil of proper visc w/ 'ma' rating is prob fine.

• Like 1

the oil selling business is a really gimmicky business.  Pretty much 90% of all motor oils come out of the same 2 or 3 giant refineries.  The exact same refinery product might be packaged under 10 different brands, varying wildly in price.  There's really no way to tell...

• Like 2

Any name brand synth mc oil is prob fine.  Honda's oil is prob fine.  Not sure if honda's is full synth or not.  If you do the 600mi or sooner oil changes i'm not even sure i'd bother with synth.  Any name brand oil of proper visc w/ 'ma' rating is prob fine.

Just have it on the shelf. Want to do an oil change just because..did the first 100 miles pretty mellow...since then I’ve been on the throttle a lot. Mostly curious to what others are running. My local Honda dealer pushed me towards this oil.

Ohh sh!t an oil thread.   

first three oil and filter changes Honda non synth. 

fourth change used 15w40 rotella T6 it is MA/MA2 rated. 

J.

• Like 2

I just did the first change at 144 miles.  Went with Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil.  

Motul is probably the best out there, it is just expensive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bajacaat said:

IMG_0790.JPG

Anyone running this oil in there 450l?

About to do an oil change at 300 miles.

Should I stick with Honda oil? Or go with this?

I’ve been running this oil in all my other bikes...

We have been using and promoting the Motul 5100since the early 90's when we used to specialize in engine work as well as our damper stuff. Its been a good product and took care of some failures we used to see in some Suzuki motors back in the day. That price is a little high but oil gets more expensive every day so who knows?

Thanks-

Eric

• Like 1

Oil threads probably have incited more duels, assaults and lynchings than any religious or political topic.  I'm not going to say my opinions, here.  My life is too precious. I do use oil, however and even change it sometimes.

Ralph

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Come on Ralph ,  confess ..    you use the same Super Tech  15/40 diesel engine oil that I  use .. All my bikes , vehicles , lawn equip ,. Tractors ......   Wal mart ,  cheap , close by , .....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Come on Ralph ,  confess ..    you use the same Super Tech  15/40 diesel engine oil that I  use .. All my bikes , vehicles , lawn equip ,. Tractors ......   Wal mart ,  cheap , close by , .....

LOL, over the years I've even used a few cheap 10w-40 "car oils" in bikes and never had problems.  I believe what's in the ol' XR right now is some 15w-40 diesel oil--Chevron brand if I recall.  Bought a gallon of it for real cheap 😂

Edited by timmy.g
  • Like 2

But if I lived in a place that ever got cold I wouldn't want to be running that 15wt oil.  I'd do a 5w-40 or a 10w-30, really cold I'd do 5w-30

But if I had a real nice bike worth 5K or more I'd prob run synth of some sort 😉.  But again, if I was doing oil every 600mi I really wouldn't fret about it be top-of-the-line synth stuff.  Not highly likely to break down your oil from heat in liquid cooled bike w/ a fan.  So I'd say the most important thing is keeping clean oil in it.  If I put top-of-the-line synth in I'd want to run oil changes out to at least 1000 mi.  

Here in deep Sourh Texas we don't need cold weather oil ....I change oil in my 750 Shadow every 3000, mi.   Stays clean ,  change filter every 6000. Mi.    Never had any problems on Any equipment ...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Oh, very well.  I use only full synthetics.  Mobil 1 Extended Mileage 5/30 in the cages (cars), 5/40 or 10/40 Shell Rotella T-6, Redline or Motul in the DR-650 and Honda CB-500F.  I'm strictly an on-road rider at my age.  I change at about 8K in the cars, 4-5K miles in the bikes.  Figure once a year.  Gas?  I prefer Chevron 87 Octane with Techron.  Will use any "top tier" gas (for non US readers, "top tier" is a classification given to gasolines with the higher concentrations of cleaning additives and thus a little more expensive than the lower rated fuels--it does not refer to octane ratings).  I do not like ethanol in fuels, but not easy to find any without it here, thanks to Big Brother government.  Is ethanol common in fuels sold outside the USA?  

Ralph