Sharky1528

How long until KTM comes out with a 200 XC-W again ?

So do you think KTM will bring back the 200 ?? Looks like Beta is having some success with there 200RR ! We need that bullet proof luggable woods bike ( KDX 200 ) with 2020 technology!! 

Posted (edited)

Hopefully not much longer, I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews on the 150. Supposedly it makes more power all over then the 200, but I’ve hear people have thrown a lot of $$ trying to get it to feel like a 200, and or sold it and bought a 200.

either way, the 200 tax at the moment is unreal.

Edited by Nicholas Aston

I owned a 2016 200 XC-W (bought new) and now ride a 2019 150 XC-W.

I believe the 150 XC-W is by far the better bike.

When I read that the 200 XC-W was being replaced by the 150 XC-W in 2017, I wondered why.

Now I know.

• Like 3

I currently have a 2011 200 XC-W.

I gave the 2017 150 a go when it first came out and the 2019 150 last fall.

I recently went for a ride on a 2019 Beta 200 and that's the bike that will finally get me off my 2011.

• Like 3

The 150 is not a replacement for the 200 ,they are too different to be compared , one maybe better than the other for certain riders

• Like 2

There is not going to be another 200 by KTM any time soon - the new 150 TPI IS the bike to fill the spot the demise of the 200 left. The cases of the 125/150 engine do not allow for a 200cc displacement.

Michael

11 hours ago, Sharky1528 said:

So do you think KTM will bring back the 200 ?? Looks like Beta is having some success with there 200RR ! We need that bullet proof luggable woods bike ( KDX 200 ) with 2020 technology!! 

Are you suggesting the 200RR lacks motor reliability? 

I had an old 200exc and have ridden a setup 150xcw. The 150 is so much better head to toe. 

All the 200 guys I know are wondering what to buy next. In the past they just went back to the KTM dealer, handed over some fresh cash, and left with another 200. No matter how you add it up, I think that shows KTM's mistake very clearly. That was a very popular bike to get rid of, and many don't consider the 150 to be a viable replacement!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Are you suggesting the 200RR lacks motor reliability? 

I had an old 200exc and have ridden a setup 150xcw. The 150 is so much better head to toe. 

Not knocking the Beta 200RR at all in fact my hats off to them for bringing out a 200cc 2T !! I really think the 200 segment is going to be hot just for the simple fact its a great place to move up to from a 125 and a great place for older riders to move down to if they don't want a 250/300 !! Just not sure why KTM would walk away and feel the 150 could fill the spot...

I'm not up on my KTM history but at some point I think they (KTM) moved the 200 up to the 250/300 frame so maybe that light flickable bike went away and with Beta using the 125 platform for the 200RR its that super light weight flickable bike that people are looking for..

Maybe Beta will own the 200 class ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Gas gas supposed to release a 200 but they’re also supposed to release the Ranger for USA but no clear dates of when. 

Oh yeah that's right.. guess we will see ?? from what I have read on the interweb the company is not in the best shape !! These Boutique brands have some great bikes but they are very hard to find and local support is almost nill...

Beta seems like its well on the way out of the Boutique side of business here in the USA !! I have a dealer 20 minutes away ....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sharky1528 said:

Oh yeah that's right.. guess we will see ?? from what I have read on the interweb the company is not in the best shape !! These Boutique brands have some great bikes but they are very hard to find and local support is almost nill...

Beta seems like its well on the way out of the Boutique side of business here in the USA !! I have a dealer 20 minutes away ....

After hours cycle dot com has all beta parts needed and to your door in a few days. Nearest dealer to me is abt 25 miles which during business hours is 90-120 minute drive one way. No thanks. 

Utah is on the up and up with Beta dealers. 2 years ago there was only one in the state and it was out of the way.  Now there are 4 and one of them is about a mile and a half from my house. :)

• Like 2

The 150 is not a better bike than the 200 for me where I live.  Just a couple of days ago I was riding at nearly 12000 feet.  I prefer the 200 over the 250/300s but I definitely need the extra 50cc.  

The 150 is a much better bike.  Its much faster up top, and down low... well you shouldn't be riding either bike down there anyway.

• Like 1

It's not better for riders that lug ,and lugging is not wrong ,it's just a different way to ride ,open your mind

• Like 8

Yea kinda sucks as my local harescramble series lets you run a 200 2t in the 250 4t class, not sure if the 150 is going to be as competitive in that class as its east coast woods with a lot of slow stuff

7 hours ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Yea kinda sucks as my local harescramble series lets you run a 200 2t in the 250 4t class, not sure if the 150 is going to be as competitive in that class as its east coast woods with a lot of slow stuff

I know its not a totally relevant comparison, because my 150 is/was an older (but modified) SX and my 200 is old as well.

My 150 is jetted with a zook needle after it worked well in the 200, it also has an aftermarket reed block and full exhaust which I believe help low to mid range power on the reading I did for those years. A bigger flywheel and different gearbox gearing could have helped too (I changed the sprockets for woods use).

The 200 has way more low end nuts and is better in hikeabike riding, but IMO has more of a step in power delivery especially with the stock needle when you want to go faster and transition to WFO pipe riding. I wouldnt mind trying a 150XC/W or EXC to see how the different stock setup makes up for the lack of 50cc. But I doubt it'd match the 200s compromise for low weight and still giving torque.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, mog said:

It's not better for riders that lug ,and lugging is not wrong ,it's just a different way to ride ,open your mind

Mog is right!  I lug the crap out of my 150 and its DANG good.  Anyone who says a small bore MUST be screaming to be powerful/fun simply hasn't experienced a well set up, modern enduro small bore.  I could still use another 50cc though, don't get me wrong.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kangaroo_Smasher said:

Mog is right!  I lug the crap out of my 150 and its DANG good.  Anyone who says a small bore MUST be screaming to be powerful/fun simply hasn't experienced a well set up, modern enduro small bore.  I could still use another 50cc though, don't get me wrong.  

My 150, an SX at that, lugged fine. Not as good as 200EXC though 

• Like 1