Sign in to follow this  

XR600R Unknown stator and need wiring assistance

Just purchased a second hand Australian 1995 XR600R that was used for racing. Previous wiring harness was stripped back to bare essentials and I need to install indicators and controls. Previous owner now unresponsive. I pulled the stator to check it and it looks to be upgraded from stock, or rewound. Has mark ZC9 but can't find a reference to it online. Has three wires—two yellow, one black > white. Images attached for reference.

I have a complete wiring harness of a standard Australian 1995 XR600R including CDI, regulator and rectifier, along with all controls, indicators, front and rear lights.

But I've no idea which of the stator wires (2x yellow, 1x black>white) connects to what and if I need to purchase anything to make it all work. Any ideas what goes to where from the stator to the wiring harness?

Thanks.

20190717_134507.jpg

20190717_134549.jpg

it looks a lot like the two Honda stators i have that came from the factory baja race team spares.

the black>white is ign and goes to the black box.

the 2x yellow are your AC leads:  1) put an ohm meter on one yellow lead and check for continuity to one of the mounting bolts. if yes, then test the other yellow to same bolt - (should be yes)  if so,  you have two separate AC winding's - (make note of the meter readings. they should be fairly close together, if vastly different, or one shows continuity but the other doesn't, then the lower/no reading could indicate a shorted/open winding.) 

2)  if no continuity from bolt to either yellow, then check for continuity from yellow to yellow - if no, then winding is prob bad. if yes, then you have only a single winding. to get it to function, one yellow will need to go to chassis ground and the other to an AC regulator (AC only out) or a rectifier/regulator which will give you a DC output.

also, if you have a dual output stator, you should see 3 wires grounded to the metal part of the stator (usually by ring terminal). if single outlet, only one (for the ign windings).

hope i got it all right

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SoCalXR600Rmonkey said:

it looks a lot like the two Honda stators i have that came from the factory baja race team spares.

the black>white is ign and goes to the black box.

the 2x yellow are your AC leads:  1) put an ohm meter on one yellow lead and check for continuity to one of the mounting bolts. if yes, then test the other yellow to same bolt - (should be yes)  if so,  you have two separate AC winding's - (make note of the meter readings. they should be fairly close together, if vastly different, or one shows continuity but the other doesn't, then the lower/no reading could indicate a shorted/open winding.) 

2)  if no continuity from bolt to either yellow, then check for continuity from yellow to yellow - if no, then winding is prob bad. if yes, then you have only a single winding. to get it to function, one yellow will need to go to chassis ground and the other to an AC regulator (AC only out) or a rectifier/regulator which will give you a DC output.

also, if you have a dual output stator, you should see 3 wires grounded to the metal part of the stator (usually by ring terminal). if single outlet, only one (for the ign windings).

hope i got it all right

Thanks so much for the comment. Exactly what I've been looking for—a way forward to test what I have.

I'll borrow a meter tomorrow and check the wires and get back to you. Lifesaver.

btw it was late when i wrote that post. so i should have mentioned that your vastly different resistance values (make note of the meter readings. they should be fairly close together, if vastly different, are prob not gonna be very vastly. so you may not be able to draw any great conclusions from your readings on that part. 

hope i've helped