Ray_solis3

Drz400 starts idles and dies with throttle (only works with choke off)

After taking apart side case here is what I found. 3 of the bolts holding the flywheel down had sheared off. And it looks like it scratched up the flywheel a little bit but it’s not bad enough to have to replace is it? And the stator looks pretty damaged so I ordered a new one. 

Thanks

23148155-ABF1-40A8-8D90-06CDF0016787.jpeg

3F965EE5-990B-4897-9E7D-71BA5D501000.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ray_solis3 said:

After taking apart side case here is what I found. 3 of the bolts holding the flywheel down had sheared off. And it looks like it scratched up the flywheel a little bit but it’s not bad enough to have to replace is it? And the stator looks pretty damaged so I ordered a new one. 

Thanks

23148155-ABF1-40A8-8D90-06CDF0016787.jpeg

3F965EE5-990B-4897-9E7D-71BA5D501000.jpeg

Also just wanted to add that 2 of the 3 that sheared off just spun right out easily by hand but the 3rd one lodged itself way down to the bottom of the hole. I was thinking to drill and extract it but then I’m guessing I will have to pulll the flywheel off to do so. Kind of stuck on what to do to remove that last bolt. I just bought 6 12.9 bolts to replace them but I can’t install until I get that last bolt out. It’s literally at the very bottom 

You might try a left hand drill bit with some grease on the end to trap the shavings. It might just spin right out without having to disassemble the engine any further.

• Like 1

Yes, left hand drill bit. Centre punch the bolt, use lots of pressure, slow drill speed.

Ok well it ended up falling down thru and I can see it but can pull it out from under the flywheel and starter clutch so I bought a 38mm x 1.5 RH flywheel puller and I’m trying to take it off now but every time I try to tighten the upper part of the tool it rotates the flywheel, what should I do to keep it in place so I can tighten it enough to break free the flywheel? Do I gotta put it in gear or do I have to jam something in somewhere?

thanks

1 hour ago, Ray_solis3 said:

Ok well it ended up falling down thru and I can see it but can pull it out from under the flywheel and starter clutch so I bought a 38mm x 1.5 RH flywheel puller and I’m trying to take it off now but every time I try to tighten the upper part of the tool it rotates the flywheel, what should I do to keep it in place so I can tighten it enough to break free the flywheel? Do I gotta put it in gear or do I have to jam something in somewhere?

thanks

Never mind I was able to put an adjustable wrench on the puller and break it free, I pulled out the old screw and replaced them with 12.9 bolts and put thread lock on them. I going to put in the new stator now and see if she fires up! Fingers crossed that’s all it was!

Ok last thing I promise haha.. so I put the bike back together with the new stator and it fired right up! The thing is, it got super hot quick(like 10 seconds) and I started seeing some white smoke burn from the exhaust where it connects to the engine so I shut it off.. could this be from the bike laying over on its side the past 4 days? Like the oil and coolant was all over on one side? Because I only had the bike up right for maybe 5 mins before firing it up. Should I just let it sit up right for a few hours? I’m gonna check the coolant level once it cools down but I never had any over heating issues until this. I would like a response before I try starting it up again because I don’t want to blow a ring or do any damage to the engine. Thank you!! So happy it started but I’m a little worried about this. 

1 hour ago, Ray_solis3 said:

Ok last thing I promise haha.. so I put the bike back together with the new stator and it fired right up! The thing is, it got super hot quick(like 10 seconds) and I started seeing some white smoke burn from the exhaust where it connects to the engine so I shut it off.. could this be from the bike laying over on its side the past 4 days? Like the oil and coolant was all over on one side? Because I only had the bike up right for maybe 5 mins before firing it up. Should I just let it sit up right for a few hours? I’m gonna check the coolant level once it cools down but I never had any over heating issues until this. I would like a response before I try starting it up again because I don’t want to blow a ring or do any damage to the engine. Thank you!! So happy it started but I’m a little worried about this. 

Did you spill any oil / touch the exhaust with oily hands during your repairs? when I give my bike a good wash I usually give it a squirt down with some WD40.  It makes lots of white smoke when you start it after that.