Oil seperator/Crankcase Breather Delete?

I recently purchased a used DRZ with only 300 miles on it. Older gentlemen that seemed to be very handy and take good care of it. He did many of the mods I had planned including, Kline 39mm carb, MRD Pipe, 3x3 mod, and some other stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mnrxKvM9oxc7rwEx9

On one of my first rides I noticed a little bit of oil coming from the crankcase breather tubing that connectors to the air intake rubber boot that contains the air filter. Upon further inspection, I saw two tubes that were pressed onto a plastic connection with no worm clamp. I added the clamps which fixed the issue, however made me wonder why the factory tubing had been changed. This lead me to realize that the oil seperator had been removed and replaced with a t joint (pic below).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TDH6CzCXrudkXtM99

Does anybody have more info on this, and possibly know why he might have done this? Should I be worried and looking into adding it back in? Why would anybody want to purposefully burn oil? Think I might buy a breather box or reroute the vent to a filter somewhere else. New to the whole DRZ thing and appreciate any advice/opinions. Thanks.

Missing the separator, hence excessive oil misting getting into the airbox. Some remove in a mistaken idea that it adds bulk, others remove it becauise they think it is in the way, that Suzuki put it on for no reason, that the exhaust was mis-aligned and box no longer fits or melted. Certainbly no need for worm drive clamps on the hoses or for them to be cranked down so tight.

I'd put it back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, William1 said:

Missing the separator, hence excessive oil misting getting into the airbox. Some remove in a mistaken idea that it adds bulk, others remove it becauise they think it is in the way, that Suzuki put it on for no reason, that the exhaust was mis-aligned and box no longer fits or melted. Certainbly no need for worm drive clamps on the hoses or for them to be cranked down so tight.

I'd put it back.

Darn. Guess I need to start looking for a used one 😕

If you have access to a 3D printer, rolyrev has a freeware model

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2933433

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

If you don't have the separator from the previous owner, I'd probably route the breather uphill, like up near the steering stem area and cap it with a Uni crankcase filter.  I've done this on bikes in the past as they had the line routed to the dirty side of the air box and I didn't feel good about having that unfiltered.  I believe the DRZ line goes on the clean side of the filter.  Anyway, running it uphill like that I've never had any oil escape.  However, to keep water (from riding, rain, or washing the bike) from finding an easy path to the crankcase, I would usually run the line back down a few inches from it's highest point and cap the end with the filter at that spot.  Just a thought if you don't find a good replacement for the separator.  The way that Suzuki designed the system, it's pretty good and I don't know why someone would eliminate it other than maybe they thought they would have better access to the preload rings on the shock. 

10 hours ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

I don't know why someone would eliminate it 

I stole the phrase.... but we call it "Slowed down for racing" in general..
Its just a misguided thing folks do...easier access to the carb (but not needed) easier access to the spring adjuster (but not needed) Misconception that it is a "EPA POS" and or total lack of understanding it is a well designed part that does great things for the bike. It collects, coleces misted oil coming from the engine case breather, and returns that liquid oil to the motor.  It does this in a way the prevents rain or splashed water from getting in the motor. It does its job without opening the motor to damaging abrasive dust, sand and dirt. It weighs only a few ounces, does not negatively affect performance and does its designed task very well. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

I stole the phrase.... but we call it "Slowed down for racing" in general..
Its just a misguided thing folks do...easier access to the carb (but not needed) easier access to the spring adjuster (but not needed) Misconception that it is a "EPA POS" and or total lack of understanding it is a well designed part that does great things for the bike. It collects, coleces misted oil coming from the engine case breather, and returns that liquid oil to the motor.  It does this in a way the prevents rain or splashed water from getting in the motor. It does its job without opening the motor to damaging abrasive dust, sand and dirt. It weighs only a few ounces, does not negatively affect performance and does its designed task very well. 

But think of the weight loss that can be achieved with it gone, as well as the aerodynamic benefits 🤪

• Like 1

So I'm buying a used one to throw on there. It sucks cause this engine has 300 miles on it and was probably still breaking in when the guy started burning oil with it. Do you think that may have negatively impacted break in at all?

Also am I good to ride it until the part comes in or should I stop?

So I'm buying a used one to throw on there. It sucks cause this engine has 300 miles on it and was probably still breaking in when the guy started burning oil with it. Do you think that may have negatively impacted break in at all?

Also am I good to ride it until the part comes in or should I stop?

Use a 3/8" T-fitting to connect the existing hoses, you'll be good to ride it.

2 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

Use a 3/8" T-fitting to connect the existing hoses, you'll be good to ride it.

Check the pic, it was replaced with a T-fitting. THe issue is that it now allows oil to go straight to the carb. I was wondering if that negatively impacted the engine break in period because I'm assuming the guy had it for a while.

3 hours ago, MitchH said:

Check the pic, it was replaced with a T-fitting. THe issue is that it now allows oil to go straight to the carb. I was wondering if that negatively impacted the engine break in period because I'm assuming the guy had it for a while.

very unlikely