Hey fellow dirtbike heads, 

Im a beginner rider who quite recently bought a KX 250F 2009 in what appears to be great condition. The bikes got 2 previous owners which atleast the one I bought from seemed to keep the bike very well maintained with proper services in correct intervals and kept documentation.

The bikes gone about 150hours with a hour meter. At 100hours the last owner repaired and or replaced the following - crankset, top end, valves, piston, front suspension, carburetor, swingarm bearings, linkage bearings, timing chain and ofcourse some other general wear maintenence. (I expect the pistons been changed before during its lifetime, not 100% sure though.)

Oil, oil filter and airfilters are ofcourse changed as they should be. (Clean airfilter every ride, oil 5hrs oil filter 10hrs) with common sense included, sometimes more often.)

So my question - how many hours can one except out of a dirtbike like this? 
And ofcourse I know this varies hugely depending on whos been riding the bike, how well maintained etc. But in general, a well taken care of bike, driven by amateurs/beginners on MX track. Never been properly raced.

Are we talking 250hours, 300, 350, 400... Yeah you get it.

I know your answers could never be accurate but I just wanna get a slight understanding of the general lifespawn of these motors if maintenced properly. 

Also, if you can think of anything else I as a beginner should think of maintence wise with a bike of this age and hour lifespawn, please feel free to give me some tips. 

Im not a pro either on track or in the garage, but I got a passion and I want to learn.

I'll post some eye candy pictures of the bike for ya'll aswell.

Thanks in advance, kind regards from sweden.

IMG_20190713_195505.jpg

IMG_20190713_200751.jpg

IMG_20190713_200738.jpg

IMG_20190630_144815.jpg

IMG_20190710_181030.jpg

IMG_20190630_144815.jpg

IMG_20190713_200738.jpg

Edited by Beez445

I depends on a lot of factors but I am old and have had lots of bikes. For me i don't keep bikes past about 200 hours anymore. At about 300 hours things seem to start to get loose and sloppy. I imagine you could keep a bike running forever but at some point it gets expensive. By replacing bikes around 200 hours I generally dont have to worry about replacing things other than top end and damaged parts.

Indeed most if not all concentrate their maintenance efforts to the engine only, 

forgetting that there the rest of the bike around it.

So by --- hours when the engine is due for a rebuild, it becomes a consideration if the chassis also needs

the forks & shock refurbished, linkage/swingarm/steering head/wheel bearings, cables etc. replaced.

Often not economically viable to invest so much in a nearly 10 year old 250F.

Just a quick observation of those bike pics,

it appears one of the previous owners went to a great effort in investing in fancy graphics

yet did not think it was wise to invest 25$ for a missing right hand side engine / water pump guard.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mlatour said:

Indeed most if not all concentrate their maintenance efforts to the engine only, 

forgetting that there the rest of the bike around it.

So by --- hours when the engine is due for a rebuild, it becomes a consideration if the chassis also needs

the forks & shock refurbished, linkage/swingarm/steering head/wheel bearings, cables etc. replaced.

Often not economically viable to invest so much in a nearly 10 year old 250F.

Just a quick observation of those bike pics,

it appears one of the previous owners went to a great effort in fancy graphics

yet did not think it was wise to invest 20$ for a missing right hand side engine / water pump shield...

Hey Mlatour, 

I recently changed the linkage bearings and swingarm bearings and I just lost the engine / water pump crash in my first smaller crash 🙂 it will be replaced soon!

Thnx for reply

• Like 2