Augmach5

Radiator fan stopped working- Overheated

Rode 1.5 hours out to dirt goodness today- Only to have the fan stop working and then having the bike overheat- 2019 model with 650 miles- Fuse good- Thermo switch or the fan itself at fault here ? All dealers booked at least two weeks out- Not exactly awesome...

To check the fan: disconnect fan connector, ground negative side of connector to fan & jumper battery positive to other side, if it runs fan is good, fan is bad if no run. To check sensor: disconnect sensor, use a DMM set on ohms, probe across terminals, if meter reads 0 or infinity then temp sensor is bad. 

14 hours ago, Augmach5 said:

Rode 1.5 hours out to dirt goodness today- Only to have the fan stop working and then having the bike overheat- 2019 model with 650 miles- Fuse good- Thermo switch or the fan itself at fault here ? All dealers booked at least two weeks out- Not exactly awesome...

To help diagnose, you could pull the fan and bench test it with a spare bike battery (or pull the battery too) to see if it turns over. If it does, check wiring, maybe a rub, but wires tend to fail at connections. That would leave you with testing the switch, but I don't know that procedure, its likely in the shop manual. I'm attaching a page out of the old 690 shop manual for my 2010, they likely haven't changed the way the 2019 works/is wired, if this helps self diagnose... 

My 2019 SMC runs hot in traffic, the slower route to work always means that the fan is on, I just try to not idle in gear and keep air flowing through the rad on the really hot days. I'm seriously considering aftermarket exhaust to get rid of that hot cat. I think its such a heat well that it keeps the engine running a bit hotter while in slow roll or idle scenarios. I really love the silence though. My last 690 SMC was way too loud.

Good luck, hopefully its something quick to fix...

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 10.52.24 AM.png

Posted (edited)

Great info thanks, but lots of work on an under-warranty bike- Part of me just wants to order the lower temp switch and see what that does and then move on over to the fan unit if it still wont activate.  

Edited by Augmach5

Posted (edited)

Turns out the Thermoswitch molex was not 100 percent engaged from the factory- lordy. 

Edited by Augmach5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Did the engine malfunction light come on when it overheated? I have a 2019 Husky 701 with 60 miles on it and after I got done ridding it today (10 miles or so), the fan came on as I pulled in my garage along with the engine light? Not sure whether those two issues are related, light and fan coming on...

Edited by GIV523

2 hours ago, GIV523 said:

Did the engine malfunction light come on when it overheated? I have a 2019 Husky 701 with 60 miles on it and after I got done ridding it today (10 miles or so), the fan came on as I pulled in my garage along with the engine light? Not sure whether those two issues are related, light and fan coming on...

If it just came on, shouldn't be related. Mine comes on all the time off road with no light.

Thanks, I didn’t think it would be related. I’ll ride it tomorrow and see if it happens again. If it does, I’ll call my dealer and see what the say...

13 hours ago, GIV523 said:

The red engine light on my 2019 SMC will turn on when the kill switch shuts off the engine, I believe the husky is the same. (also you'll note that the neutral light won't work with the kill switch set to kill).

I've got about 3800 km on mine - it runs hot on hot days in traffic but that's because these engines are monsters. I will kill the bike at long lights, shorter to medium length lights you should be in neutral to avoid heat from the clutch building as opposed to holding it in gear. Try to keep it in low rpm in slow rolls, and keep air flowing through the rads. When you park just let the bike cool down, if the fans on and you're worried; hang around, let the fan do its thing to ensure that nothing could get warped.

Good advise Kwota. My concern is the amber engine light coming on at the same time the fan did... I'll see if it does it again.

Both engine and overheat light came on during my incident. I just installed the lower temp fan switch and refilled coolant. Rode yesterday, bike felt great. 

That's great.

I put another 80 miles on mine this week with no more issues. Hopefully it was a fluke thing...

• Like 1