Need help with Californa Carb Identification

Posted (edited)

I have a carburetor that I bought off of ebay that looks to be a 1999. I will be trying to register the bike in California, so it probably should have a California carburetor.

The California carb is indicated by the model number on the carb. This carb has PD cast in the body, and the number stamped below it is 97ACPK.

Can someone with a legit California bike tell be if that is what their number is like? I think the other 49 states may be different with respect to the A and/or C. I suspect that AC may mean California, and A means the other states. It's also possible that California has a B instead of the A. It looks like these labels apply to 1998 through 2002 models.

Also, If someone has a manual for these years, that information may be in the manual.

Thank you,

Toby

Edited by Toby_S
Add information.

Does it have an out of state Title? (out of California)  

I bought the engine with the carburetor 9 years ago on ebay. I'm pretty sure it's from out of state. Lost all records of the transaction.

There is a difference in the VIN numbers, but I don't know the VIN number. There doesn't appear to be a difference in the engine serial numbers, but the carb numbers are different.

The carb does have an adjuster screw for the low speed circuit, so I think it is probably a non-California model.

"PD97A" is a non CA, Ca carbs are "PD97B".  You can still buy a new CA carb from Honda, TT Store lists both carbs, the last 3 digits of the part number inicates useage on the TT fiche, "L00" is CA.

I don't know why the carb version would be an issue.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

"PD97A" is a non CA, Ca carbs are "PD97B".  You can still buy a new CA carb from Honda, TT Store lists both carbs, the last 3 digits of the part number inicates useage on the TT fiche, "L00" is CA.

I don't know why the carb version would be an issue.

Chuck,

Thanks a lot for answering my question.

California had different jetting for smog purposes, and the low speed mixture screw is set up so that theoretically only the factory or dealer can change it. In 1999, California had different rules from the rest of the country, so there was a California XR and "other 49 states" version. The engines were the same, but carbs were different. California also tracks engine serial numbers on their pink slips and registration. To change the serial number and make this a "clean title" I would need a compliant engine and carb. I think the two engines are the same, and the only carb is different.

Actually, I determined that the bike came from Massachusetts, so theoretically not compliant. Actually, I'm way over thinking this. It's probably impossible to get this registered with the new motor number on the bike. I'll just have to find a buyer who's willing to ignore the engine number.

Thanks again,

Toby

Edited by Toby_S
add info

It doesn't matter where the motor or carb is from.  As long as the title of the bike is from California.  If it is and you have the pink slip, then you simply go to DMV or AAA and register it.  I've done it a bunch.  If you are transferring ownership, just tell them you bought it for $50.  Otherwise you have to pay to tax on the purchase price. 

13 hours ago, socalxr said:

It doesn't matter where the motor or carb is from.  As long as the title of the bike is from California.  If it is and you have the pink slip, then you simply go to DMV or AAA and register it.  I've done it a bunch.  If you are transferring ownership, just tell them you bought it for $50.  Otherwise you have to pay to tax on the purchase price. 

I have the pink, but the serial number of engine I will put in is not the one on the pink. In a perfect world, I'd like to get the number to match. It would probably have been possible if the engine was a California engine, but might raise a flag if it's not. Raising a flag could could cause problems. My fallback will be to write two bills of sale, one for the engine, and one for the frame. I'll sign the pink, and the new owner can decide what to do.

1 hour ago, Toby_S said:

I have the pink, but the serial number of engine I will put in is not the one on the pink. In a perfect world, I'd like to get the number to match. It would probably have been possible if the engine was a California engine, but might raise a flag if it's not. Raising a flag could could cause problems. My fallback will be to write two bills of sale, one for the engine, and one for the frame. I'll sign the pink, and the new owner can decide what to do.

AT the DMV or AAA, the motor number does not matter.  You simply go in there (make an appointment for the DMV), give them the pink and they will put it in your name and charge you a bunch of money.   In a month or so, you will get a new pink in your name.  It takes about 10 minutes.  

Honda engines number never match VIN numbers and are not on titles or registration.  VIN is a Fed Law for vehicles , engine numbers are serials by the mfg for configuration control. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Honda engines number never match VIN numbers and are not on titles or registration.  VIN is a Fed Law for vehicles , engine numbers are serials by the mfg for configuration control. 

Actually, the engine serial numbers are on the Registration and Title in California. It's true that they don't match the VIN number. I have 5 bikes documented this way. It's because of the Smog Requirements.

Edited by Toby_S

40 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

My condolences.

Ha ha! Pobrecito de mi!

There is a process for special and custom bikes built by individuals, not massed produced for the purpose of resale. It's just more hoops to jump through .  I'd just register it with the old motors number, if it comes up in sale just give em the old motor.  Don't even know if Honda supply's the state with anything but frame Vin's and make models?  Living outside the USA you never know ?  : )  

In california, engine number is only for theft reasons, frame number is for emissions type things.  

Yea, on my CR85/XR100 conversion I redid it, so the motor matches, but it was so long ago I don't remember the reason.  Even when I did a Dual Sport conversion, it was never an issue.  But, I just did 5 green sticker bikes, and one red sticker, all with expired tags and it was easy, except all the back fees killed me.  I do have a CRF150R frame with a Hawaii Licence plate, they said I had to go to the Highway Patrol to get signed off.  (I never did)