2005 CR85R clutch issue

Hey guys, so im replacing the clutch in my aunts 2005 cr85r (she had one back in the 90s, nostalgia for her!) and im putting a tusk clutch in and removing the old burnt one, but with it all lined up theres a gap at the end of the clutch baskey with the 17mm washer and then without the washer everything lines up perfectly no gap. Ive looked in the service manual and have everything done correctly! Im frustrated to say the least, here is a few pictures of my problem! ( one pictures is without the washer and one with) The one with the decent size gap is with the washer!

2CC1D746-093F-43E2-BC65-3965A5D9F03C.jpeg

EC7A9AF3-8F3A-406F-9DB9-E737CCCC3DE9.jpeg

4 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

11 in first, then basket, then washer. Starting with fiber first then steel an so on then pressure plate and bolt/washer and then springs and bolts

5 fibers

?

4 steels 

Screenshot_20190722-181935.png

Thats exactly how i have it, ive looked on parts fishches,service manuals, and end up with the same results. The gap at the end of clutch basket/clutch boss as seen. Ive tried multiple combinations triedlining up dots on the basket with the boss. And no luck, always end up with the gap at the end or with no washer and no gap! 

8 hours ago, Joseph Hutson said:

Thats exactly how i have it, ive looked on parts fishches,service manuals, and end up with the same results. The gap at the end of clutch basket/clutch boss as seen. Ive tried multiple combinations triedlining up dots on the basket with the boss. And no luck, always end up with the gap at the end or with no washer and no gap! 

I'm confident it wasn't Honda but one little bike I done had one fiber or steel that was different than all the rest. It was factory design but odd. Look for something like that and measure thickness of all with a caliper, perhaps factory defect

5 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm confident it wasn't Honda but one little bike I done had one fiber or steel that was different than all the rest. It was factory design but odd. Look for something like that and measure thickness of all with a caliper, perhaps factory defect

Ok, i will go pick up a micrometer/ digital caliper and measure them. 

37 minutes ago, brichter said:

Looking at the pictures, it seems like you're missing one steel plate. From the back, it looks like you have a yellow plate (friction), a silver plate (steel), a yellow friction plate, another yellow friction plate, a silver steel plate, and another yellow friction plate, then the pressure plate.

Hmm, im gonna try adding one of the old plates and see if that makes a difference. 

On 7/27/2019 at 3:19 PM, brichter said:

Don't just add a plate, make sure they're in the correct order and you're not missing one. It could be one was missing from the kit...

I got the new tusk clutch kit and springs,  they’re identical but this one says to remove all washers/spacers. Im gonna go ahead and follow directions and see where that leads me.  I will be posting a update later today, headed to the garage ??

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, Joseph Hutson said:

I got the new tusk clutch kit and springs,  they’re identical but this one says to remove all washers/spacers. Im gonna go ahead and follow directions and see where that leads me.  I will be posting a update later today, headed to the garage ??

I was wondering i should start a new thread, clutch install went well, springs went in good, cover and water pump gear fit amazing, clutch perch/lever actually comes back now, but i kicked her over and went to put it in first, she just drags forward, its like the clutch is useless.  Cant use it to get in gear and out of it, gotta do it manually with the gear box no clutch. Im stumped. This is a new clutch, new clutch cable and everything. 

5 hours ago, Joseph Hutson said:

I was wondering i should start a new thread, clutch install went well, springs went in good, cover and water pump gear fit amazing, clutch perch/lever actually comes back now, but i kicked her over and went to put it in first, she just drags forward, its like the clutch is useless.  Cant use it to get in gear and out of it, gotta do it manually with the gear box no clutch. Im stumped. This is a new clutch, new clutch cable and everything. 

Is that piece number 12 necessary to make a clutch work properly? Called a clutch cable receiver. 479F5572-01D4-4C29-9DE3-DCC523DD5FBF.thumb.png.ad6246b3bca7b6f47fe78673e6e0c0ad.png479F5572-01D4-4C29-9DE3-DCC523DD5FBF.thumb.png.ad6246b3bca7b6f47fe78673e6e0c0ad.pngB2AB0142-1D89-4AE1-8F17-C7EC83FE151B.thumb.png.636a13eee02a7499d0fe7417a3cec228.pngB2AB0142-1D89-4AE1-8F17-C7EC83FE151B.thumb.png.636a13eee02a7499d0fe7417a3cec228.png

Your missing a step or something. Need to pull everything out and separate every. Make sure no washers are stuck to something by oil and get the manual out and follow step by step and double check if necessary.

Before cover goes back on pull lever, you should be able to see clutches move and release

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Your missing a step or something. Need to pull everything out and separate every. Make sure no washers are stuck to something by oil and get the manual out and follow step by step and double check if necessary.

Before cover goes back on pull lever, you should be able to see clutches move and release

the only thing about this bike is i cant see when i pull the clutch to see if the plates actuate, the cover is all one thing with a waterpump,clutch cover, its very weird. the cover has to be fully on because the piece that actuates the clutch is in the cover. ill post a pic, but i think i found my issue,not enough pressure from that missing part on the cylinder head, the clutch cable reiceiver.

10 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

7D814142-E83E-4ED8-8AFE-D96CC1B53F48.jpeg

AB483BC3-AEFF-448E-B926-FA543CA11877.jpeg

5 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Yep your right I see. But yeah if that cable housing is moving when pulling clutch you'll definitely lose pull

I just ordered the clutch cable receiver, I genuinely think that will solve my issue, i dont know where else to turn and alot of bikes had that, i remeber doing the top on my 200cc blaster and foreget that and the clutch was way less tension. Hope this solves it man,. Ill keep you guys updated and thanks so much for insight, this is my first full bottom end and top end rebuild, new everything besides cases, bike started second kick, what a feeling.  

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, Smoking 2's said:

Yep your right I see. But yeah if that cable housing is moving when pulling clutch you'll definitely lose pull

Well i wanted to check back in and just everyone know that the bikes running great now,  rode it for a little today in the break in period. Gonna finish that and rip her! Thanks for the help everyone! 

5732D1F9-DD7D-4F51-AF10-D7C3575573B7.jpeg

• Helpful 1

Well i wanted to check back in and just everyone know that the bikes running great now,  rode it for a little today in the break in period. Gonna finish that and rip her! Thanks for the help everyone! 

5732D1F9-DD7D-4F51-AF10-D7C3575573B7.jpeg

Awesome! I thought this was the aunt's bike ?

• Haha 1