I'm thinking of getting a DR-Z400--Would you buy yours again?

4 hours ago, Diverdown said:
16 hours ago, N_ R said:
I'm thinking of getting a DR-Z400--Would you buy yours again or get something else?

Great question, I've had 3 DRZ400-S's. Got it narrowed down to a DRZ-SM or a WR250-R.

Why did you have 3?  Color variety? 

Interesting question...After two years of ownership I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with the DRZ. 

It's relatively cheap to purchase compared to other similar dual Sports. Easy to service and parts are easy and cheap to find. For light off road, it works pretty well.

On the down side, if you have to ride above 90km / hour for a considerable time or hardcore off road, then there are better bikes out there that are lighter with 6 gears and more power.

For what I'm using her for at present, she is more than capable.

Would I buy another one. Probably not.... I think I would go for the KTM 690 / Husky 701.

I have the 2002 drz400e with a tag, the wr250r and yz250fx, the drz is inexpensive, reliable, has a very good motor, suspension is good, needs a wider ratio gear box, is a little big heavy and porky but I am used to a 250 size, my favorite is the wr250r, it better in every way but power

• Like 1

9 hours ago, timmy.g said:

For me it wasn't the right bike for what I wanted a bike to do.  It isn't very good on-road and it isn't that great off-road.  It does everything ok, but doesn't really stand out in any way.  Coming up on its 21st model year it's a bike that's very long in the tooth, but it's still overall a decent bike.  If you can find a lightly used one for a lot less than new priced you might as well pick it up.  I'd avoid anything with high mileage, period.  Find a garage princess that was owned by someone that  really didn't even ride it and you'll be good to go.  Would I pay $7000+ for a brand new one?... not in this life.  Oh, and if you're short like me (almost 5'10) you may wanna look into ways to lower it.

Pretty much what timmy said. I'll add that the DRZ gives compromise a bad name.

After owning a heavy, clumsy XR400 for 5years, I bought a slightly used 03E, and have had it close to 10years and have been very happy. I plated it a few years ago and am even happier!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, N_ R said:

I'm thinking of getting a DR-Z400--Would you buy yours again or get something else?

drz400E if you can. I rode the S and liked the E a lot better off road. but yes, the DRZ400 is prob the best bike you can buy, even till this day. I am selling it though to get a husky 701 just because I want to hit the road at 70 - 80mph, otherwise, if I lived out in forest roads and 45 MPH streets, I would keep it

I traded my drz400sm for a 701sm.

The 701 is a much better bike in riding terms but in no way does it feel as builtproof as the drz.

If I was going remote country side I must admit I would rather be on a drz.

But for been a hooligan on the tarmac you can't beat the 701sm 

20190424_170019.jpg

20190527_110356.jpg

Edited by p0u1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Q-B said:

If a few thou$sand and boring reliability didn't mean much either way, I'd consider the new Beta RR-S's, the KTM EXC-F's and Husqvarna FE's, maybe the Honda CRF-450L over a new DRZ. 

Well I am after DEAD reliable. The Honda looked nice but north of $10K? I'm just not seeing it. If I'm spending over $10K & wanted a larger bike (I don't) I'd look at that Husky 701 Enduro but Husky dealers here [Atlanta, GA] as as rare as hen's teeth & I wonder about reliability. Anyway, time to go look at some bikes to narrow things down--now to find out where to bike shop in Metro Atlanta....

Sometimes I wish I still had my TS250.....

Edited by N_ R

My first motorcycle was a new to me 30K mile DRZ400S. She used a bunch of oil but still loved it. Then went to a Yamaha WR250x supermoto. Then went to a Victory across Country. Now I’m back on a DRZ-SM. Wouldn’t have it any other way! I posted a pic of each of my bikes. 

C2472D69-9634-4164-8D97-BB336BBF11FC.jpeg

58588106-5D40-4AD6-BDB9-3BF52614BF38.jpeg

A698ACA9-2E39-407B-A55E-AE9864B70A52.jpeg

AD51B8A5-7FFD-4A90-9C1F-16D59C8700A1.jpeg

• Like 3

As many have said earlier its an older bike, relatively unchanged since 00'.

However, there is a good difference between the "E" models and the "S/SM".

I had the chance to ride an "S" model last week and walked away wanting more.

My "E" however, has been an absolute blast to ride since day 1, and only gotten better with modifications.

If you are indeed looking for a light adventure bike then the "E" might be a perfect solution for you.

If your looking for light, fast, supermoto, or adventure tourer, look at the European bike offerings.

I bought my 2000 DRZ-s new. It was my main ride to work for 17years. It has 24k miles (3 miles to work). I installed a 4 gal tank and 3 tooth larger rear sprocket, among a bunch of other stuff! Never any problems, but not for everybody. I like riding it, but I don't see many others around here. The XR650L before that had an ongoing electronic ignition problem, then it stripped the splines on the counter shaft. Going back in time I would buy it again. Since I have had it 19 years I would get something else just to have something different, but I'm not looking to get rid of it.

5 hours ago, likembikem said:

I bought my 2000 DRZ-s new. It was my main ride to work for 17years. It has 24k miles (3 miles to work). I installed a 4 gal tank and 3 tooth larger rear sprocket, among a bunch of other stuff! Never any problems, but not for everybody. I like riding it, but I don't see many others around here. The XR650L before that had an ongoing electronic ignition problem, then it stripped the splines on the counter shaft. Going back in time I would buy it again. Since I have had it 19 years I would get something else just to have something different, but I'm not looking to get rid of it.

After 19 years I imagine it has some sentimental value.  Like an old family cat or dog that just keeps on going.  It would be a betrayal to sell it now ?

11 hours ago, likembikem said:

wow that is impressive to think you got 24k, 3 miles at a time, testament to the starter on these things, too.   Can I ask, since it held up so well with so many starts and short trips, what was your warm up method?  I wonder about making short mile or two runs for errands around, and wonder if I need to warm up the bike up a while just to ride a mile up the street, say if its 60 degrees out?  I kinda would like to not warm it up very long to not bug the neighbors.

Edited by dual sport seattle
  • Like 1

It was actually 3 miles there and 3 miles back, I could shave off 1/10 by taking the inside of all curves! Because of the short trip and battery use, I have a headlight off switch and LED tail light. I would let it idle with lights off for a few minutes. It stayed on battery tender quite a bit otherwise. I had a carb issue once and only use non ethanol after that. One winter I used an electric jacket liner and must have fried my stator, upgraded it and stopped short distance electric jacket use, just used on street bike. With the 4 gal tank, I would ride enough to keep fuel sorta fresh and keep Seafoam. I only use Kenda Track Masters. They wear fairly quick, but the more street like tires were terrible off road and I never used them again. The track masters hold pavement pretty good and I can tell when they are about to slip. My oil changes have been frequent and my cam lobes are smooth. Yes, it would be bad to see someone else owning it, I would have to keep it if I got another bike!

• Like 1

I don't think I would ever buy one new, but a used one makes a good do-everything motorcycle on the cheap.
Also probably the best motorcycle you can get if you like to tinker (again, buy it used).

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:46 AM, N_ R said:

No, I wouldn't buy it again, but I wouldn't sell it either.

Let me explain....................................

Most of the high performance parts I have are no longer available. I love DRZ, but I cannot re-create it if I had to.

At the time I bought it, enduro's were tough to plate in WA, so that mattered.

Starting over today, I'd probably get a Beta or a Yamaha of if I could swoop a RMZ450X with a carb, I'd do that. I think 2016 was the last year of the carb.

• Like 2