Exhaust fitment questions

Hello there I’ve read a BUNCH of useful information for users on here that know their stuff. So I figured I’d see if you all would know the answer to this: I have a DEP header on a 2009 RMZ250. I’m kinda of on a budget rn and the previous owner took the baffle and packing out and lost it. I just got the bike a week ago and I’m REALLY eager to ride it but I don’t wanna damage the valves (from what I heard it can mess em’ up.) My question is would the stock slip on part “slip on” or fit correctly on the DEP header? I found a good deal on a stock one but was wondering if there’s any modifications I’d have to make to the inlet, or if there would be a potential exhaust leak. This my first 4t bike so sorry if it seems like a dumb question. Also, where would I find a service manual for 06-09? I don’t mind paying for it, I’ve just looked everywhere and the ones I found don’t show the years same with the descriptions.

and last question; what kind of Motul would be best for the bike? From what I hear semi-synthetic is best although I see people use Motul 3000. I don’t mean to start an oil argument. Just wondering which is better, more of a “match” for the bike. 

ANY input VERY much appreciated. I’ve lurked on this site for a long time, and a lot of you guys have waaaay more of an understanding then I do lol.

Edited by Happymayne240

I can't help too much with the exhaust question, but for the manual I have access to the service manual PDFs but I can only download small sections at a time, not the whole manual. But you should be able to walk into any Suzuki dealer and order a hard copy. As for oil, I preach synthetic is always better. I run the full synth 7100 in my bike and it loves it. Clutch is happy with it too, no slip. Synthetic or at least semi has more longevity since it doesn't break down, almost at all. (just to clarify, it does, just very very slowly) Also it just seems to lubricate better but that can all be opinion too i suppose. This is in a '17 as well. There is the fact that 7100 is red and red always makes it go faster! We all know that rule!

I can't help too much with the exhaust question, but for the manual I have access to the service manual PDFs but I can only download small sections at a time, not the whole manual. But you should be able to walk into any Suzuki dealer and order a hard copy. As for oil, I preach synthetic is always better. I run the full synth 7100 in my bike and it loves it. Clutch is happy with it too, no slip. Synthetic or at least semi has more longevity since it doesn't break down, almost at all. (just to clarify, it does, just very very slowly) Also it just seems to lubricate better but that can all be opinion too i suppose. This is in a '17 as well. There is the fact that 7100 is red and red always makes it go faster! We all know that rule!

I’m a dummy. I didn’t even think about the manual at the dealer lol. And yeah, I see very mixed answers about oil. I know some people think this is a nono but to change out the oil I used Rotella. Some people are all for it and swear by it, and it seems like some people absolutely despise it. I just used it cause it was the easiest to get, and it’s rated Jaso or however that rating is for the clutches. I wanna get Motul cause from what I hear it has more of th zinc additive in it. That’s why I was confused between 3000, 5(0?)(1?)00, or 7100. 3000 is a mineral oil and I thought that would be best, but I’m not sure if it’s synthetic or not. I’ll def take your advice in mind. I’m mainly riding trails not really racing so I don’t think I need anything extreme, just wanted someone that would add a lil longetivity to the engine over time seeing as I’m not gonna beat the bike too hard.

It’s nice to post on a forum where people actually wanna help. I got shit just looking for an exhaust on Facebook because the previous owner took the baffle out. People really just assume you’re an idiot on there if you aren’t friends with them.

One more question tho. Is the marketplace on this site pretty good? Like per say if I wanna buy a stock exhaust or an aftermarket that fits. Is it a big risk of not receiving the item and getting scammed? Would I be better off with eBay as they have money back guarantee?

Thanks for your help man. Just got my first 4t and I’m so damn eager to ride it. From what I hear, the handling with these machines are absolutely great.

1 hour ago, Happymayne240 said:

I’m a dummy. I didn’t even think about the manual at the dealer lol. And yeah, I see very mixed answers about oil. I know some people think this is a nono but to change out the oil I used Rotella. Some people are all for it and swear by it, and it seems like some people absolutely despise it. I just used it cause it was the easiest to get, and it’s rated Jaso or however that rating is for the clutches. I wanna get Motul cause from what I hear it has more of th zinc additive in it. That’s why I was confused between 3000, 5(0?)(1?)00, or 7100. 3000 is a mineral oil and I thought that would be best, but I’m not sure if it’s synthetic or not. I’ll def take your advice in mind. I’m mainly riding trails not really racing so I don’t think I need anything extreme, just wanted someone that would add a lil longetivity to the engine over time seeing as I’m not gonna beat the bike too hard.

It’s nice to post on a forum where people actually wanna help. I got shit just looking for an exhaust on Facebook because the previous owner took the baffle out. People really just assume you’re an idiot on there if you aren’t friends with them.

One more question tho. Is the marketplace on this site pretty good? Like per say if I wanna buy a stock exhaust or an aftermarket that fits. Is it a big risk of not receiving the item and getting scammed? Would I be better off with eBay as they have money back guarantee?

Thanks for your help man. Just got my first 4t and I’m so damn eager to ride it. From what I hear, the handling with these machines are absolutely great.

Hands down man IMO RMZs have the best handing on the market. I can damn near lay it on its side in a good rut and fly out of the corners! If something is a mineral oil that means it is NOT Synthetic. Synthetic is synthesized from man made products while mineral is refined from crude oil in the ground. Synthetic will always give you better longevity, and as long as the oil meets the JASO MA2 standard it'll work with a wet clutch (which all the Motul oils are rated too). If you want right in the middle of the road performance the 5100 semi is the way to go. I always just use the best in these engines since regardless if we race or not, they are built too and run like they are whether you're putting along or griping and ripping. But that just my two sense, take this data and form your choice is all I can say. Also I'm told to watch what detergents are in whatever oil but I don't personally know enough about this subject. As for the marketplace I wouldn't know, I've never bought anything from it yet. But based off of most of the people I've met on here so far I wouldn't see a reason not to buy from the marketplace! I hope this helps!

Edited by Samsquantch

Hands down man IMO RMZs have the best handing on the market. I can damn near lay it on its side in a good rut and fly out of the corners! If something is a mineral oil that means its Synthetic. Synthetic is synthesized from man made products while mineral is refined from crude oil in the ground. Synthetic will always give you better longevity, and as long as the oil meets the JASO MA2 standard it'll work with a wet clutch (which all the Motul oils are rated too). If you want right in the middle of the road performance the 5100 semi is the way to go. I always just use the best in these engines since regardless if we race or not, they are built too and run like they are whether you're putting along or griping and ripping. But that just my two sense, take this data and form your choice is all I can say. Also I'm told to watch what detergents are in whatever oil but I don't personally know enough about this subject. As for the marketplace I wouldn't know, I've never bought anything from it yet. But based off of most of the people I've met on here so far I wouldn't see a reason not to buy from the marketplace! I hope this helps!

That’s what I was thinking also, the 5100. I know it’s all a big debate so I’m not gonna ask to many questions, you pretty much answered them.

And I haven’t gotten a chance to really ride it yet unfortunately. With the packing and baffle out I don’t wanna mess the valves up (from what I’ve read), and it’s suck to go pay $800 or so for a top end, or even the $400 for parts and aggravation by trying it myself [emoji38]. But from what I’ve read, the bike excels in low to mid range. That’s what I really wanted for trails tbh. I actually bought a 96 CR250 and after riding it on the trails (and aside from needing seals and possibly stator) it’s just too much. Don’t get me wrong, it puts a huge smile on my face when I hit the powerband. But to wreck and be out of a job for 3+ months without compensation would be horrible. It’s just hard not to hit the powerband and zoom outta somewhere haha.

Thank you though man, I appreciate it. Gonna take your advice and order myself some Motul 5100. I’ve seen people say semi-synthetic was best anyway, even though synthetic works good too. For the exhaust, I’m thinking a stock pipe will line up with the DEP header. Probably just gonna go ahead and order one of those for around $80 and call it a day on looking for exhausts. Man does it suck when just the aftermarket mufflers are more than 1/2 your paycheck [emoji45]

3 minutes ago, Happymayne240 said:

That’s what I was thinking also, the 5100. I know it’s all a big debate so I’m not gonna ask to many questions, you pretty much answered them.

And I haven’t gotten a chance to really ride it yet unfortunately. With the packing and baffle out I don’t wanna mess the valves up (from what I’ve read), and it’s suck to go pay $800 or so for a top end, or even the $400 for parts and aggravation by trying it myself . But from what I’ve read, the bike excels in low to mid range. That’s what I really wanted for trails tbh. I actually bought a 96 CR250 and after riding it on the trails (and aside from needing seals and possibly stator) it’s just too much. Don’t get me wrong, it puts a huge smile on my face when I hit the powerband. But to wreck and be out of a job for 3+ months without compensation would be horrible. It’s just hard not to hit the powerband and zoom outta somewhere haha.

Thank you though man, I appreciate it. Gonna take your advice and order myself some Motul 5100. I’ve seen people say semi-synthetic was best anyway, even though synthetic works good too. For the exhaust, I’m thinking a stock pipe will line up with the DEP header. Probably just gonna go ahead and order one of those for around $80 and call it a day on looking for exhausts. Man does it suck when just the aftermarket mufflers are more than 1/2 your paycheck

I feel for you bro! Even with my pricing working for the shop it still takes a chunk of money. But its all in how it makes you smile! As for getting hurt we all wild a lil bit and get hurt it is what it is. Just wear as much protective gear as you can! I hate chest protectors but I've not got a full one since I've started sporting a wicked scar on my shoulder after low siding... But most of all man make sure you're having fun! On or off the bike! But that RMZ should grunt you to victory no problem! I can't wait to see pics someday!