Jump to content
TigerTanker

TigerTanker bike build: 2020 300tpi

Recommended Posts

That is some serious terrain, has to make you a better rider. We have nothing like that here and when we go to the mtns it takes some mental adjustment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

That is some serious terrain, has to make you a better rider. We have nothing like that here and when we go to the mtns it takes some mental adjustment.

Yeah, it's some crazy stuff. When I first got back to riding in 2015 I had an fe350s. I wound up in a riding area in the mountains and found a trail marked "easy", a green circle. I got about a 1/4 mile and then there was a big loose sketchy hill climb in tight woods and a nasty fall to the low side that could have caused serious injury. I'm like WTF? THIS is an EASY trail? I was later explained that the rankings are based upon the ride area, not a universal measurement.  Later that day, or the next, my jr business partner (who always was trying to kill me for control of the business...) takes me on a trail that he says is easy. About a 1/4 of a mile up we see a guy that has crashed into the trees and separated his shoulder.... My learning curve was short and painful...

Piney, your comment of genuine nature I think also illustrates that bike set up can be different from one region than another. This area here makes various bike alterations or mods more necessary, or it renders some popular mods/parts as counter productive. 

Now that I have 5-6 rides on the bike, I'm going to pick up the new FMF Gnarly pipe that I ordered and put that on the bike for this weekend. I'll be riding with my friend @David McDirt over at a private club riding venue. It's fast and technical stuff, been there once and really liked it. I was on my fx350 for that ride, will be interesting to see how much more nimble this bike is. I'll also see how Dave does on his new 2019 te300 after leaving a Yamaha 250 four stroke. Dave, I'm assuming you're in love with your new bike?

 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Yeah, it's some crazy stuff. When I first got back to riding in 2015 I had an fe350s. I wound up in a riding area in the mountains and found a trail marked "easy", a green circle. I got about a 1/4 mile and then there was a big loose sketchy hill climb in tight woods and a nasty fall to the low side that could have caused serious injury. I'm like WTF? THIS is an EASY trail? I was later explained that the rankings are based upon the ride area, not a universal measurement.  Later that day, or the next, my jr business partner (who always was trying to kill me for control of the business...) takes me on a trail that he says is easy. About a 1/4 of a mile up we see a guy that has crashed into the trees and separated his shoulder.... My learning curve was short and painful...

Piney, your comment of genuine nature I think also illustrates that bike set up can be different from one region than another. This area here makes various bike alterations or mods more necessary, or it renders some popular mods/parts as counter productive. 

Now that I have 5-6 rides on the bike, I'm going to pick up the new FMF Gnarly pipe that I ordered and put that on the bike for this weekend. I'll be riding with my friend @David McDirt over at a private club riding venue. It's fast and technical stuff, been there once and really liked it. I was on my fx350 for that ride, will be interesting to see how much more nimble this bike is. I'll also see how Dave does on his new 2019 te300 after leaving a Yamaha 250 four stroke. Dave, I'm assuming you're in love with your new bike?

 

Interested to see what you think of the gnarly pipe. The guys at RK Tek seem to think it’s the worst thing you can do to your bike! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StreetDoctor said:

Interested to see what you think of the gnarly pipe. The guys at RK Tek seem to think it’s the worst thing you can do to your bike! 

No kidding huh?

Turns out the pipe I just picked up, it's actually the same pipe used for the 19. 

Why don't they like it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

No kidding huh?

Turns out the pipe I just picked up, it's actually the same pipe used for the 19. 

Why don't they like it?

Robs top end for a negligible increase in bottom end. A better pipe is the DEP off road pipe. If all you do is 1st and 2nd gear stuff it may not be the worst thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TigerTanker said:

No kidding huh?

Turns out the pipe I just picked up, it's actually the same pipe used for the 19. 

Why don't they like it?

When I ordered my head from them I asked about adding a gnarly pipe. They responded (in caps) “absolutely not, never on any bike use a gnarly pipe”. I’m assuming the added low end grunt felt is due to increased back pressure ie restriction. They didn’t elaborate past that and I didn’t ask. I meant to ask them what a suitable replacement to stock was in their opinion then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2strokenut said:

Robs top end for a negligible increase in bottom end. A better pipe is the DEP off road pipe. If all you do is 1st and 2nd gear stuff it may not be the worst thing.

By the time I'm on 3rd gear I've tossed my bike off the cliff. 

I really want the bike to be especially good from 0-25 miles per hour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StreetDoctor said:

When I ordered my head from them I asked about adding a gnarly pipe. They responded (in caps) “absolutely not, never on any bike use a gnarly pipe”. I’m assuming the added low end grunt felt is due to increased back pressure ie restriction. They didn’t elaborate past that and I didn’t ask. I meant to ask them what a suitable replacement to stock was in their opinion then. 

I had the Gnarly and the Fatty on my 2016 te300 and both were meaningfully better than stock and both made the bike better on the low end. Then again, I'm not the most discriminating in taste.... but I sure do recall when I first put the pipe on after riding stock and it was more responsive and powerful. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To say the gnarly doesn't work on any bike is obviously wrong

 

They work better or worse depending on each bike and model

 

I've known some to give more power everywhere including top end

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As in all things we are told;

  • 1/3 wrong
  • 1/3 lies
  • 1/3 true

Takes a lucky or wise man to know the difference.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

By the time I'm on 3rd gear I've tossed my bike off the cliff. 

I really want the bike to be especially good from 0-25 miles per hour.  

Then you'll probably love the gnarly. I've never liked it on any ktm/husky. 

The sherco and gas gas bikes seem to work well with the gnarly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Then you'll probably love the gnarly. I've never liked it on any ktm/husky. 

The sherco and gas gas bikes seem to work well with the gnarly. 

Well, if I don't like it I'll just put the nice stock one on again and sell the Gnarly to someone else. It'll be an interesting experiment at least. Not really all that expensive so...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Well, if I don't like it I'll just put the nice stock one on again and sell the Gnarly to someone else. It'll be an interesting experiment at least. Not really all that expensive so...

Definitely interested to see what you think. I’m in the same boat... my average speed on trails I ride is about 8mph. 1st-3rd is all I care about. I have a few good power dents in the stocker. As soon as it gets a little worse I’ll replace it with something aftermarket. The scalvini looks beautiful but I know I’m going to destroy it too....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Well, if I don't like it I'll just put the nice stock one on again and sell the Gnarly to someone else. It'll be an interesting experiment at least. Not really all that expensive so...

I love the Gnarly on my TX300. Kelsey said the same thing to me but I ride 99% bottom to bottom mid so I like it. My 300 pulls like a 500 with my RK head and Gnarly pipe. When it gets hammered I will try a pro circuit platinum pipe just to try something different and is said to build bottom like a Gnarly but provide more over rev that I will never use lol. The guy I had weld and cut my kids RMX250 head said the same thing about the Gnarly pipe but I bought one anyway from my experience. I only rode my bike around the field before I modded it the way I want and sold the stock pipe to a friend that hits everything hahaha. I like as much bottom as I can get :) 1-3 gears mainly in the same places you ride ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 69fastback said:

IMO the PC Platinum II is infinitely better than a gnarly. 

What do you like better? I have never tried one. Is it as thick as a Gnarly? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricky racer said:

What do you like better? I have never tried one. Is it as thick as a Gnarly? Thanks!

With anything, it’s preference. I know a lot of guys that run the gnarly and like it, but I think the PC II increased performance everywhere, and doesn’t cut the nuts off the top end like a gnarly. Lots of bottoms and mid range and will still rev out. 

 

it’s thicker than stock pipe but it may not be quite as thick as a gnarly.  

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What do you like better? I have never tried one. Is it as thick as a Gnarly? Thanks!

Platinum 2 Pipes

The Platinum 2 Pipe was made for people who ride or race off-road. Constructed from heavy-duty 18-gauge metal, it offers increased protection from rock or crash damage. Like the Platinum and Works Pipe, the Platinum 2 offers incredible performance with substantial power gains in the low and mid-range part of the powerband.

 

The Gnarly pipe is a 1/2-pound heavier than the Fatty, thanks to its thick 18-gauge steel construction (the Factory Fatty uses 20-gauge). The thicker steel is designed to take a beating from roost, logs, rocks and ruts.

 

They are both 18-gauge.

 

I use the Platinum 2 pipe and like it.

All my friends use the Gnarly pipe.

I think my bike revs further (we all ride the same bike) but that could be jetting plus my butt dyno is not very accurate.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TC686B said:


Platinum 2 Pipes
The Platinum 2 Pipe was made for people who ride or race off-road. Constructed from heavy-duty 18-gauge metal, it offers increased protection from rock or crash damage. Like the Platinum and Works Pipe, the Platinum 2 offers incredible performance with substantial power gains in the low and mid-range part of the powerband.

The Gnarly pipe is a 1/2-pound heavier than the Fatty, thanks to its thick 18-gauge steel construction (the Factory Fatty uses 20-gauge). The thicker steel is designed to take a beating from roost, logs, rocks and ruts.

They are both 18-gauge.

Someone knows what they are talking about...perhaps an insider hmm? Thanks for the detail! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...