Fobatai

[SMC-R] convert to adventure bike.

Hey fellow thumpers!

I bought a 690 SMC-R a couple of weeks ago. Had a 990 smt before and a XT660Z after that for the offroad capabilities. So now I was looking for something lighter, faster and more agile. I knew that the 690 was highly customizable and there where many aftermarket items.   

I was considering the 690 enduro and the SMC-R. There where only a couple of enduro’s on the market here in the Netherlands (quite flat and barely any offroad capabilities). There were 2 that where interesting for me. ’13 enduro and a ’14 SMC-R (ABS). No other enduro’s with abs on the market for reasonable price. And preferred ABS for safety reasons.

So long story short I bought the ’14 SMC-R ABS and figured, buy some bigger wheels and you have an enduro.(although I knew the front spring/axle has an offset)

I wanted to make it an more travel bike with 19”/17”-18” anyway.
(like https://adventuremotorcycle.com/bikes/project-ktm-690r)
But damn I was wrong about that. SMC-R to enduro conversion isn’t so easy.

So I want some advice from you thumpers.

-          I can buy the front forks + triples for $450 from a ’17 enduro. Add front brake (100$), axle and disc. Then buy some wheels.

o   But what differences still exist then? Will all the enduro mods fit this way? (fairing kits etc)  Is this even a good option?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Fobatai said:

Hey fellow thumpers!

I bought a 690 SMC-R a couple of weeks ago. Had a 990 smt before and a XT660Z after that for the offroad capabilities. So now I was looking for something lighter, faster and more agile. I knew that the 690 was highly customizable and there where many aftermarket items.   

I was considering the 690 enduro and the SMC-R. There where only a couple of enduro’s on the market here in the Netherlands (quite flat and barely any offroad capabilities). There were 2 that where interesting for me. ’13 enduro and a ’14 SMC-R (ABS). No other enduro’s with abs on the market for reasonable price. And preferred ABS for safety reasons.

So long story short I bought the ’14 SMC-R ABS and figured, buy some bigger wheels and you have an enduro.(although I knew the front spring/axle has an offset)

I wanted to make it an more travel bike with 19”/17”-18” anyway.
(like https://adventuremotorcycle.com/bikes/project-ktm-690r)
But damn I was wrong about that. SMC-R to enduro conversion isn’t so easy.

So I want some advice from you thumpers.

-          I can buy the front forks + triples for $450 from a ’17 enduro. Add front brake (100$), axle and disc. Then buy some wheels.

o   But what differences still exist then? Will all the enduro mods fit this way? (fairing kits etc)  Is this even a good option?

Thanks in advance.

Sound's like an expensive way to go about it, but I really don't know. Is selling and buying an enduro still an option?

Good luck and welcome to ThumperTalk. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flagstaff said:

Sound's like an expensive way to go about it, but I really don't know. Is selling and buying an enduro still an option?

Good luck and welcome to ThumperTalk. :thumbsup:

Well, right now the cheapest enduro with ABS is 3k more then my own SMC.  That's alot of cash that i can use for mods 😑.

And thanks for the welcome! 🤘

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

if I remember correctly high level: yes the triple clamp offset is steeper, so the forks are closer to the rads, the enduro triples will rake out the front end. for the forks the front brake mount is different, so you need the enduro forks which have different bottom mounts, so you need an enduro front brake, and new triple clamp...

I'd follow this guy's conversion

http://www.qubar.se/ktm-690-smc-to-ktm-690-enduro/

If you hunt the parts for cheap as you plan, either new or used condition, I think you could probably get 2 wheel sets going, each with their own set of front brakes (complete caliper, line, master so no messing with fluids to swap), forks, and have a bike that you can swap over in about a half hour with beer in hand. Back in 2006 I was doing this with my old plated Honda CRF450R which I would convert back and forth from supermoto to MX depending on what I was riding that day.

I'd look over on ADVrider.com or the folks at Rally Raid for the adventure body mounting questions, although I don' think you'll have any issues as I believe that those are the only differences.

• Helpful 1

Well it depends on how much adventure you want.  You don't need forks as you can run the SM brakes with 19" wheels from what I've read (if they are built correctly), also do you really need more travel?  I think it's possible to do that with the SM forks but unless you are doing serious off road the stock forks should work fine. The SM triple clamps have less offset which I think are better, however when adding a larger front tire you increase the rake losing some of the benefit (quicker steering). I don't think you'll notice it much if you're not doing single track stuff.  

The triples clamps are wider on the SM for better clearance with the 3.5" front wheel but the wheel hubs are the same, the difference is a wheel spacer. And the SM I think has a rotor spacer too?  At least that's how the 450+ SMRs worked. 

• Helpful 1

Well, right now the cheapest enduro with ABS is 3k more then my own SMC.  That's alot of cash that i can use for mods .
And thanks for the welcome! 

ABS is absolutely unnecessary. Im assuming you're a younger person, most of us rode bikes without it for decades. I recently spent lots of time trying to find a C14 WITHOUT abs because my braking skills exceed the benefits of ABS in a linked braking system. The very first thing i put on my 701 was a dongle to kill the abs because having it activate on the rear while trying to back it in is super annoying. Anyway, don't fixate on it.
  • Like 1

Anyone ever remove the entire ABS system?  I'm with JefeRotacion on my braking skills.

• Like 2

Allright guys!

Thanks for this information! 
After reading, especially advice of @M A T and @Kwota i decided to buy a set of 19/17 wheels and see how it goes. 🤗

I learned that the conversion should be easier after the '14 models since they widened the triples. So the offcenter front wheel is not an issue anymore.

Ill keep you guys posted with pics. (Also easy for people who want to do this)

• Like 1

Cool, I just ordered mine 2.5x19, 3.5x17 and I'm going to try Anakee Wilds for my 701E.  These have mostly positive reviews with most of the negatives coming from much heavier bikes (rear tire wear and noise). 

• Like 1

Cool, I just ordered mine 2.5x19, 3.5x17 and I'm going to try Anakee Wilds for my 701E.  These have mostly positive reviews with most of the negatives coming from much heavier bikes (rear tire wear and noise). 
That will also look totally badass. A guy on the drz forums is running an 19/18 combo, it looks sick.

Hey Guys,

Time for an update.
So i received my new rims a couple of days ago. (19" 2.5 front  - 17" 3.5 rear)
tyres.png.4b5f3b20e5ae985c98d6be8cf26ee118.png

And fitted some Mitas E-07 tyres under them. 

1340364356_WhatsAppImage2019-08-14at18_55_39.jpeg.9a53ed487f53032cb9d2033ee0022af4.jpeg

And today I fitted them to my SMC-R and here is the result 😎

319590252_WhatsAppImage2019-08-15at18_27_51.jpeg.33aa1d224f76d30c2a34ed31f1796db5.jpeg

377539403_WhatsAppImage2019-08-15at17_41.00(2).jpeg.968ceeb099eac8c725041864a28979f3.jpeg1866451089_WhatsAppImage2019-08-15at17_41_00.jpeg.7aaee2bc5d9c9c959cc5af3f9276bb22.jpeg

1321735411_WhatsAppImage2019-08-15at17_41.00(1).jpeg.5424890672a5146a185d2e47cf1fb685.jpeg329558659_WhatsAppImage2019-08-15at17_40_59.jpeg.c2fc0f5aac48354afbf0796c53a6edfb.jpeg

Exactly how i wanted it! I just used the original spacers and it was a great fit! no need to cut it down.

Edited by Fobatai
Extra information
  • Like 2