Jump to content

‘17 FX 450 Clutch replacement help

Recommended Posts

Boys, need help with replacing my clutch.  Never done one before, no instructions in the owners manual, and I can’t find any online.  So any insight on things I need to know, such as torque specs?  I found a video on YouTube from Tokyo Off-road, but I think he was doing a 2 stroke..  so I have an idea of how to, I just need the little details.

also recommendations as to where and what I should purchase, I do most of my shopping online.  I prefer something more woods oriented.  But nothing fancy like recluse or Hinson...  something budget friendly..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manny braps said:

Boys, need help with replacing my clutch.  Never done one before, no instructions in the owners manual, and I can’t find any online.  So any insight on things I need to know, such as torque specs?  I found a video on YouTube from Tokyo Off-road, but I think he was doing a 2 stroke..  so I have an idea of how to, I just need the little details.

also recommendations as to where and what I should purchase, I do most of my shopping online.  I prefer something more woods oriented.  But nothing fancy like recluse or Hinson...  something budget friendly..

I can't really provide much advice on clutch brands etc. There's gotta be some yootoob vids around though. I will say that the stock clutch basket on my 2014 KTM was so brittle it broke with about 10 ft-lbs of torque on one of the tapped in bolt holes so be careful torquing against your clutch basket. They replaced that part with another number so I am thinking they specified the wrong metal, or beefed it up or something. 

You can get service manuals here:
www.kristofsx.com 

That will have all of the torque specs and instructions on how to do it, they typically leave out something they figure is obvious if you are a full-time mechanic. 

He asks for a minumum $10 donation ;) and they you get a link to down load a pdf within 24 hours.

Make sure to pick up a spare cover gasket, not sure if clutch kits come with one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rite on!!  Thank you!!  I’ll check it out!!  I’ve put it off for far too long now...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Barnett have a "clutch pack" for your bike? Barnett makes decent stuff. 

OP, do you have a torque wrench? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NORTY said:

Does Barnett have a "clutch pack" for your bike? Barnett makes decent stuff. 

OP, do you have a torque wrench? 

I’ve never heard of Barnett, but since you mentioned them I’ll give them a look 👍🏼

I do have a torque wrench, cheap one from harbor freight 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Yes, I'm sure that @dan500afc could help you. 

Although I’d love to do this myself, id rather see how it’s done from someone who knows what they’re doing 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacing a clutch on these machines is pretty easy if you're only doing the steels/fibers.  It gets a little more involved if you're replacing the basket/hub.

  1. Lay the bike on its side so the clutch cover faces up and the engine oil drains to the far side of the motor.  You don't need to go all the way to the ground.
  2. Remove clutch cover bolts and rear brake lever spring.
  3. Remove the pressure plate bolts and springs.  Rotate each bolt 3-4 turns CCW in a criss cross pattern to evenly reduce the pressure.
  4. Remove the pressure plate and clutch pushrod bearing
  5. Remove the fibres and steels.

With new fibres, generously apply fresh oil.  I find it easiest to have a Tupperware container that has enough volume to submerge one fibre at a time in fresh engine oil.  You just need to make sure they're wet.  No, they don't need to be soaked over night.

Re-install everything in the reverse order.  I believe the clutch pressure plate bolts and clutch cover bolts are torqued to around 8 ft/lbs.

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 10:41 AM, Manny braps said:

Although I’d love to do this myself, id rather see how it’s done from someone who knows what they’re doing 😅

Dan say's he'll do it for you for a reasonable agreement, but he doesn't do an audience. @dan500afc

If you wanna see it, YouTube probably has a vid on it. PM Dan for more details. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read for years that no aftermarket clutch packs work as well as OEM.
I've tried Barnet Dirt Digger kevlar clutches and they worked, but seemed like the friction disks were 'softer' that lead to what seemed like a wider (in a negative way) window or clutch action from slipping to engaged.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InRoostWeTrust said:

I've read for years that no aftermarket clutch packs work as well as OEM.
I've tried Barnet Dirt Digger kevlar clutches and they worked, but seemed like the friction disks were 'softer' that lead to what seemed like a wider (in a negative way) window or clutch action from slipping to engaged.
 

now that you mention it, i think i heard that same thing about the oem too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Manny braps said:

now that you mention it, i think i heard that same thing about the oem too

Buy the oem clutch pack for a bit more and you’ll be happy you did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rekluse torque kit works great but come at a premium. If you want to use OEM Rocky Mountain has the best price ($127) on the complete disc package. Despite what was posted above fibers do need to be soaked for a couple of hours at minimum. Otherwise you run the risk of glazing to the fibers. When fibers are heated the oil that is in fibers gets released. If not soaked there little oil to release.

https://rekluse.com/product/torqdrive-clutch-pack-dds-css/

Pay attention to disc thickness, location of first "S" plate as well as pretention ring. When you install make sure to lay a straight edge across the assembly as shown in service manual. Pic are from a FX350 but same clutch is used on your 450.

236.PNG

237.PNG

238.PNG

268.PNG

268-1.JPG

268-2.JPG

269.PNG

287.PNG

288.PNG

289.PNG

290.PNG

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, KaToomTime said:

...

Make sure to pick up a spare cover gasket, not sure if clutch kits come with one.

Do you mean the inner or outer?

 

image.png.1d4c949c89d37ca809d275da85824d3b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This clutch uses an o ring to seal. Most likely it is good, make sure you don’t pop it out of groove. This is when you have issues resealing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weantright said:

This clutch uses an o ring to seal. Most likely it is good, make sure you don’t pop it out of groove. This is when you have issues resealing. 

Oh okay, so not necessary..  Curious how many hours you got on the stock clutch before having to replace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Manny braps said:

Oh okay, so not necessary..  Curious how many hours you got on the stock clutch before having to replace?

Yeah the outer you should only need to take the clutch cover off. The thing is, if you tear because it is stuck or something then you are screwed until you get another one they are what a few bucks? I just like having stuff like that available when I start the job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Manny braps said:

Oh okay, so not necessary..  Curious how many hours you got on the stock clutch before having to replace?

I sold my 450 xcw with 480?  hours on the stock clutch, still working great the thing was bomber (apparently).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

Yeah the outer you should only need to take the clutch cover off. The thing is, if you tear because it is stuck or something then you are screwed until you get another one they are what a few bucks? I just like having stuff like that available when I start the job.

So which are you suggesting has potential to tear, the outer or inner?

@weantright Are both inner and outer gaskets o ring style?  Which clutch basket tool did you use?  Looking at the one from RMATVMC..

4 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

I sold my 450 xcw with 480?  hours on the stock clutch, still working great the thing was bomber (apparently).

Clutch level: master! :worthy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...