Jump to content
BOAB

What bikes are still offered with a kickstarter or at least as an option?

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Teslas have a hard enduro model now? :smirk:

Give it a few years and I'll bet if they don't someone will.  I test rode an Alta expecting to reinforce my skepticism of electric bikes and I was amazed at how awesome it was.  I almost bought one but went with a TM because of the uncertainty of a new company and it was 2K more than my en300.  Electric bikes are going to get better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lankydoug said:

Give it a few years and I'll bet if they don't someone will.  I test rode an Alta expecting to reinforce my skepticism of electric bikes and I was amazed at how awesome it was.  I almost bought one but went with a TM because of the uncertainty of a new company and it was 2K more than my en300.  Electric bikes are going to get better

Some local vet riders are riding Sur Ron bikes and loving it in local trails. It’s an interesting hybrid between bicycle and enduro bike and the battery lasts pretty long. Electric bikes are great and getting better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClayStuckey said:

You have to do that when you have no enthusiasts who work for you or you never get out to a race or ride and talk to customers. 

 

Or you want to get first-hand info outside your own echo chamber and company bias.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClayStuckey said:

He said he poured blood out of his boots when he got back to the truck. So now he carries sandals in case he has to walk again.

Sounds like a bs glory story "a quart of blood in ma' boots!".  And why not hiking shoes.  Flips flops/sandals not a big step up from hiking barefoot

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Funny this appears now as a topic.  I am in the process of rebuilding a XR650L engine which did not come with a kick start.  But on the rebuild, I am putting a XR600R kick starter in.  Have never had a battery failure, but will feel a little better with a kicker off road.

Edited by Richard Herrington
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gentlemen, there is no option for a kicker on a KTM. Option denotes a choice. KTM Bikes either come from the factory with a kicker or they do not.

I can't place my bike order and ask for so many with a kicker and so many without. Candy at Holeshot KTM

Edited by Candy
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timmy.g said:

Sounds like a bs glory story "a quart of blood in ma' boots!".  And why not hiking shoes.  Flips flops/sandals not a big step up from hiking barefoot

Hell yea flip flops are way better than barefoot 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Candy said:

Gentlemen, there is no option for a kicker on a KTM. Option denotes a choice. KTM Bikes either come from the factory with a kicker or they do not.

I can't place my bike order and ask for so many with a kicker and so many without. Candy at Holeshot KTM

Buy an older ktm or buy another brand bike with a kicker. :excuseme:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Or you want to get first-hand info outside your own echo chamber and company bias.

Is Yamaha that far removed? I just figured it might be more info in addition to what they already think but idk. I think I kind of ignore Yamaha more since they got the same old 2 stroke.  I like that they upgraded their 4 t bikes enduro to 6 speed and estart etc and other upgrades . The 2 strokes they just kept the same basic bike and going the cheap route not changing. No need to have a survey to know guys would love an estart 2 stroke. Good news is they still have a kicker.. just be aware of the kicker shafts breaking sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hell yea flip flops are way better than barefoot 

i was picturing those kind that go between the big toe-- "thongs".  I guess at least with sandals he won't have to "pour the blood out of them" 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Is Yamaha that far removed? I just figured it might be more info in addition to what they already think but idk. I think I kind of ignore Yamaha more since they got the same old 2 stroke.  I like that they upgraded their 4 t bikes enduro to 6 speed and estart etc and other upgrades . The 2 strokes they just kept the same basic bike and going the cheap route not changing. No need to have a survey to know guys would love an estart 2 stroke. Good news is they still have a kicker.. just be aware of the kicker shafts breaking sometimes. 

yup, the japs gave up on developing their 2poppers a looooooooong time ago.  Maybe they'll revive it someday who knows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Candy said:

Gentlemen, there is no option for a kicker on a KTM. Option denotes a choice. KTM Bikes either come from the factory with a kicker or they do not.

I can't place my bike order and ask for so many with a kicker and so many without. Candy at Holeshot KTM

Huh?   The two strokes can still have a kick starter installed.  The bike is shipped to the dealer without a kick starter.   The buyer can ask the dealer to install one at the time of purchase or can just order the parts and install it themselves.  The 4-stroke cases no longer accept a kick starter so it cannot be installed.  

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, timmy.g said:

Sounds like a bs glory story "a quart of blood in ma' boots!".  And why not hiking shoes.  Flips flops/sandals not a big step up from hiking barefoot

I'm telling it as he told it to me. I believe him because he's not a liar. I don't care if you believe me or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Some local vet riders are riding Sur Ron bikes and loving it in local trails. It’s an interesting hybrid between bicycle and enduro bike and the battery lasts pretty long. Electric bikes are great and getting better. 

i have been looking at the Sur Ron bikes and they are interesting. Any feel for how they are holding up under off road conditions?  Battery life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ClayStuckey said:

I'm telling it as he told it to me. I believe him because he's not a liar. I don't care if you believe me or not.

it's all good.  it just put a mental image in my head.  but the things you'd actually have to do the the feet to cause that kind of injury.  You talking about a friction injury causing that much blood... anywayyyyyyyy...... ok, back on topic to kickstarters 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kcposty said:

i have been looking at the Sur Ron bikes and they are interesting. Any feel for how they are holding up under off road conditions?  Battery life?

It’s not been long owning them but they are charging into hard trails. The battery life is lasting a bunch of hours. Its sort of related to straight mileage which is something like 25-30 miles? Is what they are telling me. Looks cool to me. I am watching with interest. 

 

Heres a friend following another friend who’s on a Sur Ron. 

 

 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doc_d said:

 

I have a DRZ with a kick starter.... I have never had to use it.  I do use it to show off how well I have my carb jetted.  Even in 30 degree temps bone cold, one slow kick and she fires up.  LOL!

Honestly the carb on the DRZ sucks.  It's a constant velocity carb so throttle response is terrible.  It's way more unreliable than fuel injection.  Tons of guys go out to the garage to find a bike with a crankcase full of gas because the float needle seat failed.   It's a guaranteed failure in every DRZ.  The lucky ones are the guys who's bikes won't start and then they figure it out.  The unlucky ones get it started and ride it with badly fuel diluted oil and smoke the motor.  Many people spend big bucks ($700+) to replace the DRZ carb with the FCR39 MX.  But then they jerk around for 2 - 3 months trying to get it to run right and have to resort to all kind of witchcraft like using o-rings to try to change how the accelerator pump works.  

The DRZ has certain advantages and disadvantages compared to the WR250R, but the carb is definitely not an advantage.  

Doc

Sad to hear the demise of many noble beasts :( 

7 hours ago, RichBaker said:

I put a Shorai in my WR, when the stock LA died, it lasted 6.5 years, now on the 2nd Shorai. 

Stock battery, LA, in the FZ died, it now has a Shorai... 2 years, and going strong.

Thanks. good info. I have an SSB. It's probably screwed because I left it in the scooter of doom with the ignition on and doesnt kick the dash aymore... for months.

Cant find my multimeter at the moment either. :angry: Whats the best way to bench charge these things? I have a LiPo multi program charger that could charge it on a number of programs?

Just use a lead acid and low current program?

Or use a lithium program? 

6 hours ago, ClayStuckey said:

You have to do that when you have no enthusiasts who work for you or you never get out to a race or ride and talk to customers. 

A friend of mine zip ties a pair of sandals to his back pack because he had to hike a day out of the woods in his riding boots. He said he poured blood out of his boots when he got back to the truck. So now he carries sandals in case he has to walk again. The breakdown had nothing to do with a kickstarter or no kickstarter. 

Not a bad idea.

2 hours ago, timmy.g said:

i was picturing those kind that go between the big toe-- "thongs".  I guess at least with sandals he won't have to "pour the blood out of them" 😅

Obviously thongs suck compared to hiking shoes. But I'd rather them than nothing, or hiking in moto boots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Doc_d said:

The DRZ has certain advantages and disadvantages compared to the WR250R, but the carb is definitely not an advantage.  

Doc

That's why a lot of us have put the FCR-MX on our DRZ's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's why a lot of us have put the FCR-MX on our DRZ's.
I liked my stock carb, had it tuned perfect. But bought a brand new Sudco FCR-39 slant...And holy fk !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×