SDR_rider

2020 YZ125X first impressions and review

52 minutes ago, crujones7 said:

Crazy that you’ve mentioned UK, I know off topic but, you’ve seen my helmet/goggle combo on another post, but never saw the back...sorry again guys for off topic, but this Moto 9 Flex Euro Version (ACE/ECE) is lighter than their US(DOT/SNELL) counterpart... Now back on topic with the X.

3CF1639B-503E-41A1-9A58-9BAAAE862343.jpeg

E5532BE5-05AC-43F7-B998-EEE96CE33F12.jpeg

Sweet looking helmet.   I’m going Drop-bear lightweight Kali helmet on my next purchase. Okay, now back on topic. 

• Like 1

I've been riding the 2018 xcw150 again and doing some back to back comparisons. Conclusion there both really good bikes. The 150 has the power edge off idle by a good margin. I can grunt the 150 in 3rd gear without the clutch that the X has to take in 2nd gear. Once the speed comes up the X and the 150 are pretty evenly matched. Coming on the pipe the 150 hits harder. At this point the x is more manageable and easier to ride. Handling and suspension wise I like the X a little better. 

On slower more technical trails the the 150 is the better bike. Power and suspension works better for anything under let's say a 10-12 MPH average. 12-15mph it's a wash. 15 and above the X all the way. The one thing I absolutely hate is the low overall gearing of the X. On dirt roads it's just to low. At 35mph you start coming on the pipe. It's not happy there. The 15O has about 10mph higher top speed and can cruise at 40mph comfortably. I'm glad I own both bikes. They are similar but have there own personality. The nice thing is both feel natural to ride with little to no adjustment needed between the two. I still feel the X is the better buy for general riding. Hard enduro that's the stronger point of the 150xcw.  

I'm really glad this thread has been benefitial to so many people. The X is the best 125 ever made period. It can compete with a bike that has 20cc more on it and hold it's own. The light weight, good handling and excellent suspension make it hard to beat. It it had the off idle power the 150 has it would be the best small bore ever. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 4

24 minutes ago, SDR_rider said:

I've been riding the 2018 xcw150 again and doing some back to back comparisons. Conclusion there both really good bikes. The 150 has the power edge off idle by a good margin. I can grunt the 150 in 3rd gear without the clutch that the X has to take in 2nd gear. Once the speed comes up the X and the 150 are pretty evenly matched. Coming on the pipe the 150 hits harder. At this point the x is more manageable and easier to ride. Handling and suspension wise I like the X a little better. 

On slower more technical trails the the 150 is the better bike. Power and suspension works better for anything under let's say a 10-12 MPH average. 12-15mph it's a wash. 15 and above the X all the way. The one thing I absolutely hate is the low overall gearing of the X. On dirt roads it's just to low. At 35mph you start coming on the pipe. It's not happy there. The 15O has about 10mph higher top speed and can cruise at 40mph comfortably. I'm glad I own both bikes. They are similar but have there own personality. The nice thing is both feel natural to ride with little to no adjustment needed between the two. I still feel the X is the better buy for general riding. Hard enduro that's the stronger point of the 150xcw.  

I'm really glad this thread has been benefitial to so many people. The X is the best 125 ever made period. It can compete with a bike that has 20cc more on it and hold it's own. The light weight, good handling and excellent suspension make it hard to beat. It it had the off idle power the 150 has it would be the best small bore ever. 

SDR, nice comparison. You ever ride a Beta 200RR by chance? To me, that’s the third bike in the triad comparison. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

SDR, nice comparison. You ever ride a Beta 200RR by chance? To me, that’s the third bike in the triad comparison. 

Rode one a few weeks ago. In my opinion it's not a small bore or acts like one. It's a mini 300 if that makes sense. Likes to be lugged and didn't like coming on the pipe. Felt like a soft 250 that doesn't like to be reved. The motor would be great for hard enduro. Handling wise it felt a lot like my 150  but a little heavier. The suspension was too soft to really push it. For the power and the weight I would pick a 250 over it given the option. 

Let me add the 200rr isn't slow it's just very vanilla and should not be in the same category as a 125/150. 

Edited by SDR_rider
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2

1 minute ago, SDR_rider said:

Rode one a few weeks ago. In my opinion it's not a small bore or acts like one. It's a mini 300 if that makes sense. Likes to be lugged and didn't like coming on the pipe. Felt like a soft 250 that doesn't like to be reved. The motor would be great for hard enduro. Handling wise it felt a lot like my 150  but a little heavier. The suspension was too soft to really push it. For the power and the weight I would pick a 250 over it given the option. 

That's disappointing to hear. Not completely surprising, but disappointing. From your description, straight off the showroom floor, doesn't sound as though I'd like it.

Doesn't surprise me you think It'd be good for Extreme stuff. I was trying to talk Zac Attack into the 200 for ages, but he bought the 300.

3 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

That's disappointing to hear. Not completely surprising, but disappointing. From your description, straight off the showroom floor, doesn't sound as though I'd like it.

Doesn't surprise me you think It'd be good for Extreme stuff. I was trying to talk Zac Attack into the 200 for ages, but he bought the 300.

The motor characteristics are a lot like my Husky WR165 but with more off idle power. Great if you keep it off the pipe. Once on the pipe it just felt like it was struggling to stay there and wasn't happy. Real good grunt and torque off the bottom better than I thought it would have. If you're coming off a 300 you would probably like it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDR_rider said:

Let me add the 200rr isn't slow it's just very vanilla and should not be in the same category as a 125/150. 

probably because the 125 and 150 (144) share the same stroke.

a great bike to build would be a YZ144X for a bit more grunt, but it won't rev quite as quick as a 125. You don't get something for nothing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pulled the trigger. New weekend-warrior woods weapon for a man in mid-life crisis (turnin 55 tomorrow : ). 2017 YZ125 w/ carb jetted and tuned for Colorado trails, all the necessary goodies, cut the seat down 2" so's I could touch the ground...all I can say is....I'm ALL GRINS!! 

P_20200503_193305_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by pastorteacher
  • Like 9
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, SDR_rider said:

The motor characteristics are a lot like my Husky WR165 but with more off idle power. Great if you keep it off the pipe. Once on the pipe it just felt like it was struggling to stay there and wasn't happy. Real good grunt and torque off the bottom better than I thought it would have. If you're coming off a 300 you would probably like it. 

Did the fly wheel feel heavy?

2 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

probably because the 125 and 150 (144) share the same stroke.

a great bike to build would be a YZ144X for a bit more grunt, but it won't rev quite as quick as a 125. You don't get something for nothing.

I thought I'd like my 144 more, but I prefer the 125, for the exact reason you pointed out, the 125 revs quicker.

1 minute ago, Drop-Bear said:

Did the fly wheel feel heavy?

I thought I'd like my 144 more, but I prefer the 125, for the exact reason you pointed out, the 125 revs quicker.

you like the 125 because it makes you sound like you're going faster. 😀🏁🏁🏁

your 125 sounds great. 👍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SDR_rider said:

Interesting. The 200RR is in Beta’s 125 frame though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Yep, that's It's good point. The earlier KTM 200's, the good ones, were in a 125 frame as well. I think they went to a full size frame around 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

KTM 250 and 300 share the same frame but have a different personality. The 200rr might have a 125 frame but the characteristics of a weak 250/300. One thing I noticed was the suspension wasn't balanced. The forks were firmer than the shock. I'm 215lbs and the forks felt one spring rate to soft. The shock felt 2 or 3 rates to soft. I would imagine if you're a slower 160lbs rider the forks are going to feel harsh.  I will add the day I rode the 200rr I was on the 125X. The bikes are not in the same class period. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hi Gang!

First post here.

Well, I just ordered my 2020 YZ 125X.   Hopefully it will be here Tomorrow. TUESDAY.  Thanks for all the comments on this post. I came here looking for SAG recommendations and you guys rock.  Will post pics once it arrives.

Oh, I traded in my 2020 Yamaha Raptor 700 R.  It was just too much. Too easy to get out of control. And a buddy let me ride his YZ and that was all it took. 🙂

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bert Rizzo said:

Hi Gang!

First post here.

Well, I just ordered my 2020 YZ 125X.   Hopefully it will be here Tomorrow. TUESDAY.  Thanks for all the comments on this post. I came here looking for SAG recommendations and you guys rock.  Will post pics once it arrives.

Oh, I traded in my 2020 Yamaha Raptor 700 R.  It was just too much. Too easy to get out of control. And a buddy let me ride his YZ and that was all it took. 🙂

Running about 100mm on mine. Slide the forks up about 3-4mm this will weight the front end better and turn easier.

• Helpful 1

10 hours ago, SDR_rider said:

KTM 250 and 300 share the same frame but have a different personality. The 200rr might have a 125 frame but the characteristics of a weak 250/300. One thing I noticed was the suspension wasn't balanced. The forks were firmer than the shock. I'm 215lbs and the forks felt one spring rate to soft. The shock felt 2 or 3 rates to soft. I would imagine if you're a slower 160lbs rider the forks are going to feel harsh.  I will add the day I rode the 200rr I was on the 125X. The bikes are not in the same class period. 

Also, the 2020 TE150s appear to share the same chassis as the 250/300s...other than engine mounting.

Of course, gearing is different and the chain on the 150s come set up with a bit shorter wheelbase.

4 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

Also, the 2020 TE150s appear to share the same chassis as the 250/300s...other than engine mounting.

Of course, gearing is different and the chain on the 150s come set up with a bit shorter wheelbase.

I think we try to over analyze bikes. What we see for spec's and what we read may not represent the bike accurately. There is far to many variables involved and personal preference that determine a bikes characteristics.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, SDR_rider said:

I think we try to over analyze bikes. What we see for spec's and what we read may not represent the bike accurately. There is far to many variables involved and personal preference that determine a bikes characteristics.

True.

...and there a few basic fundamentals you can count on...a 125 revs faster than a 144 which revs faster than a 175/200 which revs faster than a 250...which revs faster than a 300. 👍😀

...and I can feel the rotational inertia differences of the displacements...it resistence to leaning over.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SDR_rider said:

Totally agree. As a newb, I was just told in the beginning, 80% Rider, 20% bike and the details are lost in translation/interpretation.

• Like 1