Bent Shifter prevention

Anyone ever put one of these safety cables like I have on my brake lever on the shifter? Just bent another one on a log in the woods. My plan is to get another shifter and buy a safety cable. I think I may connect it so it attaches at to the outside part of the folding lever.

IMG_20190730_165245328.jpg

IMG_20190730_165232569.jpg

How's your foot? Yes from the looks of it I'd say a good heavy cable and attach right at the point where the shifter is hinged to the lever, then run it over to the frame! Did it on a log?

Ouch.  Please tell my your foot is okay.

I don't think a cable is going to save it from a log hit.  What you need is something rigid in front of the shifter that will take the impact.  A KDX has two metal loops welded to the frame:

Kawasaki_2005_KDX200.jpg

Something like that would probably work, bolted on or welded.

• Like 1

The cable does not prevent damage to a shifter. It is intended to keep sticks and brush out from getting jammed between the shifter and the case. To prevent damage to the shifter, do not crash. ;)

Check the shift shaft for bends. Ideally, the shift lever will be the 'sacrificial lamb' and save you from a more expensive repair.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

How's your foot? 

My foot is fine thanks guys.  Yeah I'm pretty sure it was on the log didn't notice it for a while cuz I was in second didn't need to shift till the end of the trail. I'm pretty sure I must have lifted my foot out of the way. I did see the end of the downed tree hiding in the grass in time for my foot but not for the shifter.

Lots of logs and broken trees where I ride. Had a couple of big wind storms this year.

I know it may not prevent lever damage in the future but it will stop the branches from getting behind there which happens once in awhile. The cable works great on the brake lever haven't had an issue since adding it. The brake lever came with the cable, the OEM lever was worn out.

The kdx does it right.

The kdx might do the loops right but the stock shifter is made of bubblegum.

• Like 1

No cable is going to protect your shift lever from that kind of damage.

• Like 2

First of all, any chain or cable you'd put on there would break before stopping a bend like that.

Secondly, be glad it bent...otherwise all that force would have bent your shift-shaft.

• Like 3

I did this twice in a row on my CRF250X. Bent the shift shaft both times. Total pain. I bought a Hammerhead Billet Shift Lever and didn't have any other issues. The stock Honda ones stick out way too far and the Hammerhead one seems to tuck in more.

• Like 1

Ive run dual cables on one bike i was doing alot of bush busting with. Huge help with sticks and tall grass. Id bet it would help stop bending with the thick wire i used. 

I like stainless wire. Its more flexible. 

Current bike doesnt have a strong/convenient tie down spot on the engine or frame. 

I might use a cable on the rear brake but not on the shifter. I use a Hammerhead on my 05 CRF250R after bending the OEM one.

You could also bend that one back and carry it as a spare

I always ran a cable to both the shifter and brake to keep brush out. I also drilled holes in the shifter to weaken so that in a big impact like yours it would bend very easily or snap off without bending the shifter shaft. I also carried a spare shifter with me. I only ever broke one, though. Never bent a shift shaft.

I've always run cables on my bikes and have never had a problem.  Nothing is completely crash proof, but the cables will  help.  I use stainless steel fishing leader.  Braid loops on each end with one loop around the frame and the other on the lever.  Crimp ferrels hold the cable well if you braided it properly.