Jump to content
Gflo

Snowy Trail- Old Timer Question

Recommended Posts

I have been up Snowy Trail once, and that was back around 1975.  I did it on a 250 Pursang.  One thing I remember about Snowy is that I started the trail at the far end of Hungry Valley, kind of just behind where the pee wee track is now.  The other thing I remember is coming upon an old cabin in pretty good shape, and a bunch of fun banked switchbacks.  Other than the first part, it wasn’t too hard of a trail.  I used an old hand drawn map that was given to me (still have it), and that is where it shows Snowy beginning.  I also have an old Mt Pinos Ranger District map from 1991 which shows Snowy Trail, listed as Trail 130, beginning at the end of Hungry Valley and ending at Alamo Mountain.  That map describes Snowy as, “A long trail from Hungry Valley up into the forested top of Alamo Mountain.  The bottom 1 1/2 miles is very rocky and rough.  Connects Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area and Gold Hill/Alamo Mountain Rd.  (7.5 miles)”.  There is a notation that it is “Temporarily Closed”.

It seems now that the way to access Snowy is through a campground down near the end of Gold Hill Rd., just up from the Piru Creek crossing, or from the top at Alamo Mountain. 

A couple of questions.  Does anyone remember accessing Snowy from Hungry Valley?  Also, can you still get up Snowy from Hungry Valley, or has that entrance been permanently closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From what the maps and the older than dirt folks say, the old way used to be as you said.  I never been that way because i'm too young. 😉 .   You can zoom into google maps and you can see the old trail.  same with garmin topo trail maps.   It shows from the practice track to  about 1,000 feet up the creek from the current crossing.  it's closed.  you can see other closed routes as well. 😉  now the access is via the kings campground or from near the top of alamo mountain (left route at the split up top you will see the trail on the left.  

 

Edited by Papa Sarge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Papa Sarge said:

From what the maps and the older than dirt folks say, the old way used to be as you said.  I never been that way because i'm too young. 😉 .    

 

Don’t kid yourself.  I think, with a teenaged grandson, you’re plenty old enough to have done Snowy the old way.

I have noticed a lot of closed routes since I first rode that area in about ‘71.

Edited by Gflo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gflo said:

Don’t kid yourself.  I think, with a teenaged grandson, you’re plenty old enough to have done Snowy the old way.

I have noticed a lot of closed routes since I first rode that area in about ‘71.

LOLOL  shhhhh... old people rule

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gflo said:

I have been up Snowy Trail once, and that was back around 1975.  I did it on a 250 Pursang.  One thing I remember about Snowy is that I started the trail at the far end of Hungry Valley, kind of just behind where the pee wee track is now.  The other thing I remember is coming upon an old cabin in pretty good shape, and a bunch of fun banked switchbacks.  Other than the first part, it wasn’t too hard of a trail.  I used an old hand drawn map that was given to me (still have it), and that is where it shows Snowy beginning.  I also have an old Mt Pinos Ranger District map from 1991 which shows Snowy Trail, listed as Trail 130, beginning at the end of Hungry Valley and ending at Alamo Mountain.  That map describes Snowy as, “A long trail from Hungry Valley up into the forested top of Alamo Mountain.  The bottom 1 1/2 miles is very rocky and rough.  Connects Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area and Gold Hill/Alamo Mountain Rd.  (7.5 miles)”.  There is a notation that it is “Temporarily Closed”.

It seems now that the way to access Snowy is through a campground down near the end of Gold Hill Rd., just up from the Piru Creek crossing, or from the top at Alamo Mountain. 

A couple of questions.  Does anyone remember accessing Snowy from Hungry Valley?  Also, can you still get up Snowy from Hungry Valley, or has that entrance been permanently closed.

I rode the o.g years ago and you can’t really go that route anymore. Mother Nature has begun to take it all back. 

The new route does connect into the old route after piru creek crossing. If you would like a special tour of the place, pm me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

I’ve done the original way many times. They closed it because a frogs ass needed to be water tight from the creek crossing and they were having to study that. 😳

Yes for like 30 years. I wonder if it’s still water tight?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gflo said:

I have been up Snowy Trail once, and that was back around 1975.  I did it on a 250 Pursang.  One thing I remember about Snowy is that I started the trail at the far end of Hungry Valley, kind of just behind where the pee wee track is now.  The other thing I remember is coming upon an old cabin in pretty good shape, and a bunch of fun banked switchbacks.  Other than the first part, it wasn’t too hard of a trail.  I used an old hand drawn map that was given to me (still have it), and that is where it shows Snowy beginning.  I also have an old Mt Pinos Ranger District map from 1991 which shows Snowy Trail, listed as Trail 130, beginning at the end of Hungry Valley and ending at Alamo Mountain.  That map describes Snowy as, “A long trail from Hungry Valley up into the forested top of Alamo Mountain.  The bottom 1 1/2 miles is very rocky and rough.  Connects Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area and Gold Hill/Alamo Mountain Rd.  (7.5 miles)”.  There is a notation that it is “Temporarily Closed”.

It seems now that the way to access Snowy is through a campground down near the end of Gold Hill Rd., just up from the Piru Creek crossing, or from the top at Alamo Mountain. 

A couple of questions.  Does anyone remember accessing Snowy from Hungry Valley?  Also, can you still get up Snowy from Hungry Valley, or has that entrance been permanently closed.

That was the Baker cabin that burned down in 06 day fire. That whole area got pretty damaged from it. My Orange bike got black carboned pretty bad from the ashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy boy said:

That was the Baker cabin that burned down in 06 day fire. That whole area got pretty damaged from it. My Orange bike got black carboned pretty bad from the ashes

That’s too bad.  It was a really nice cabin back then.  Not vandalized at all IIRC.  Kind of reminded me of the cabin at McIver Springs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gflo said:

That’s too bad.  It was a really nice cabin back then.  Not vandalized at all IIRC.  Kind of reminded me of the cabin at McIver Springs.

Yes it was very sad. I remember the cabin many moons ago and it was really nice shelter. It had a very old wood burning stove in it. After the fire I sifted through the ashes and found the coolest gnarley nails. They were huge. 

‘I did a little research and the cabin was built early 1900’s . There is a mine behind the cabin somewhere lost now.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi.... I know Snowy very well... maybe have ridden it 10 times both solo and with folks. I did a 60 mile loop ( https://caltopo.com/m/0SJ3 ) which included 15 mile Snowy, solo, July 14th and here are a few notes:

-As mentioned "new" Snowy starts at Kings Campground and ends 15 miles later at the top of the ridge at Alamo Mt. 8N01. It does not connect with Hungry Valley. There is an old, overgrown, unused 4x4 trail, downstream, at the base of Piru Creek after the switchbacks that can take u out to hungry valley. It is about 5 miles, there is a half mile of downstream bushwhacking u have to do to connect from Snowy to that 4x4 and u have to drag your bike under a fence closer to Hungry Valley. I used it once to hike out after i lost my bike over the edge of Snowy climbing out of Piru Creek and also this is the way I hiked back in to recover my bike.... So... No access from Hungry.

 -Snowy is notoriously HOT. its only opened for a short season and its the HOT season. It gets SUPER HOT down in the Piru Creek section. The Heat takes bikes and guys down ALL THE TIME because its a tough climb out of that Piru basin. It ends cool'ish 6500 ft but goes low...3200 ft. Three weeks ago it was 95 degrees down low. During the climbs, my gas was boiling (like put the spaghetti in boiling) and my hydraulic clutch fluid boiled off so i had no clutch for half the ride (i have a Rekluse so no clutch was survivable). I had to hide under a bush for 2 hrs until 6pm just because i knew my body and bike would not survive the afternoon heat and i couldnt take any chances alone. 

-And here is the most stupid thing.... at Kings campground the Snowy motorcycle gate was open.... At the 2/3 point at 630 pm while climbing up the ridge into the cool air it became very apparent they had not finished clearing the trail. lots of downed trees crossing the trail which required tough hops or deviations around obstacles above or under the trail. Sure enough when I finally made it to the top of Snowy there was a bar across the gate which required i drag my bike under a barbed wire fence on an uphill slope alone. Why they didn't lock the bottom gate if the trail was not opened I have no idea. As of July 14 Snowy is not ready for prime time and it would be really dumb to attempt it right now, much less attempt it alone like me. In my humble opinion, under the right circumstances, its a tough trail but by no means a suicide mission.

Jack. KTM 4 stroke 450 xcw with fan!

Edited by olmola
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it a couple of times on my trials bike about 9 years ago. On my trials bike it was like a leisurely Sunday drive. I've never taken my dirt bike on it though (I so scare!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, olmola said:

Hi.... I know Snowy very well... maybe have ridden it 10 times both solo and with folks. I did a 60 mile loop ( https://caltopo.com/m/0SJ3 ) which included 15 mile Snowy, solo, July 14th and here are a few notes:

-As mentioned "new" Snowy starts at Kings Campground and ends 15 miles later at the top of the ridge at Alamo Mt. 8N01. It does not connect with Hungry Valley. There is an old, overgrown, unused 4x4 trail, downstream, at the base of Piru Creek after the switchbacks that can take u out to hungry valley. It is about 5 miles, there is a half mile of downstream bushwhacking u have to do to connect from Snowy to that 4x4 and u have to drag your bike under a fence closer to Hungry Valley. I used it once to hike out after i lost my bike over the edge of Snowy climbing out of Piru Creek and also this is the way I hiked back in to recover my bike.... So... No access from Hungry.

 -Snowy is notoriously HOT. its only opened for a short season and its the HOT season. It gets SUPER HOT down in the Piru Creek section. The Heat takes bikes and guys down ALL THE TIME because its a tough climb out of that Piru basin. It ends cool'ish 6500 ft but goes low...3200 ft. Three weeks ago it was 95 degrees down low. During the climbs, my gas was boiling (like put the spaghetti in boiling) and my hydraulic clutch fluid boiled off so i had no clutch for half the ride (i have a Rekluse so no clutch was survivable). I had to hide under a bush for 2 hrs until 6pm just because i knew my body and bike would not survive the afternoon heat and i couldnt take any chances alone. 

-And here is the most stupid thing.... at Kings campground the Snowy motorcycle gate was open.... At the 2/3 point at 630 pm while climbing up the ridge into the cool air it became very apparent they had not finished clearing the trail. lots of downed trees crossing the trail which required tough hops or deviations around obstacles above or under the trail. Sure enough when I finally made it to the top of Snowy there was a bar across the gate which required i drag my bike under a barbed wire fence on an uphill slope alone. Why they didn't lock the bottom gate if the trail was not opened I have no idea. As of July 14 Snowy is not ready for prime time and it would be really dumb to attempt it right now, much less attempt it alone like me. In my humble opinion, under the right circumstances, its a tough trail but by no means a suicide mission.

Jack. KTM 4 stroke 450 xcw with fan!

Nice vid of suffering! Where exactly did you go off? Can you put it on a map for me to see?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, olmola said:

Hi.... I know Snowy very well... maybe have ridden it 10 times both solo and with folks. I did a 60 mile loop ( https://caltopo.com/m/0SJ3 ) which included 15 mile Snowy, solo, July 14th and here are a few notes:

-As mentioned "new" Snowy starts at Kings Campground and ends 15 miles later at the top of the ridge at Alamo Mt. 8N01. It does not connect with Hungry Valley. There is an old, overgrown, unused 4x4 trail, downstream, at the base of Piru Creek after the switchbacks that can take u out to hungry valley. It is about 5 miles, there is a half mile of downstream bushwhacking u have to do to connect from Snowy to that 4x4 and u have to drag your bike under a fence closer to Hungry Valley. I used it once to hike out after i lost my bike over the edge of Snowy climbing out of Piru Creek and also this is the way I hiked back in to recover my bike.... So... No access from Hungry.

 -Snowy is notoriously HOT. its only opened for a short season and its the HOT season. It gets SUPER HOT down in the Piru Creek section. The Heat takes bikes and guys down ALL THE TIME because its a tough climb out of that Piru basin. It ends cool'ish 6500 ft but goes low...3200 ft. Three weeks ago it was 95 degrees down low. During the climbs, my gas was boiling (like put the spaghetti in boiling) and my hydraulic clutch fluid boiled off so i had no clutch for half the ride (i have a Rekluse so no clutch was survivable). I had to hide under a bush for 2 hrs until 6pm just because i knew my body and bike would not survive the afternoon heat and i couldnt take any chances alone. 

-And here is the most stupid thing.... at Kings campground the Snowy motorcycle gate was open.... At the 2/3 point at 630 pm while climbing up the ridge into the cool air it became very apparent they had not finished clearing the trail. lots of downed trees crossing the trail which required tough hops or deviations around obstacles above or under the trail. Sure enough when I finally made it to the top of Snowy there was a bar across the gate which required i drag my bike under a barbed wire fence on an uphill slope alone. Why they didn't lock the bottom gate if the trail was not opened I have no idea. As of July 14 Snowy is not ready for prime time and it would be really dumb to attempt it right now, much less attempt it alone like me. In my humble opinion, under the right circumstances, its a tough trail but by no means a suicide mission.

Jack. KTM 4 stroke 450 xcw with fan!

I watched the video with a smile through and through...  great group of buddies...  good times...  memories made ! :usa:

Then I saw the car you drove away in and just starting hating you... smart ass joke after joke immediately ran through my head...  all LOW-T type stuff...  it's your own fault type stuff...  How's your sister Pelosi doing these days kinda stuff...   LOLOLOL

Anyway...  glad you got the bike out...  just crop the last few seconds of the video so you can get your man card back.  :lol:

:cheers:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply Bolt. My other car is a Tesla. You cool with that? Because your opinion is really important to me. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×