Adventure riding boots?

I'm sure there are 1,000 opinions on this, but I'll ask anyway. I'm planning a long trip across the country on  a bmw 1200gsa. (Read: big heavy street bike, that can go down dirt roads) I'm considering some adventure boots which look like mx boots. I'm beginning to wonder if I even need them. I'll be doing 95% street. The other 5% will be something I can go down without dropping this ~600 pound beast. Although I do know I can pick it up (dont ask how I know ?) I'm beginning to think just some good leather boots may be all I need. Somebody change my mind..

When I’m doing mostly street on my dual sport I wear street boots, Dainese Torque D1’s. 

Leather boots offer some protection as far as abrasions go, but don't really protect against ankle injuries.

I would wear either full mx boots of a good street boot, of a hybrid of the two but definitely nothing less. 

Edited by Demo_man
  • Like 1

I just laugh at the idea of going cross country on my sg12s. Although they are damn comfortable. Things weigh like 5lbs each! I would be protected though ?

• Like 1

I just laugh at the idea of going cross country on my sg12s. Although they are damn comfortable. Things weigh like 5lbs each! I would be protected though [emoji848]
I wear my street boots on my ST bike because my SG12s won't fit on the pegs. If i was on an adv bike I'd wear them, they're ridiculously comfy and max protection.

8 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:

I wear my street boots on my ST bike because my SG12s won't fit on the pegs. If i was on an adv bike I'd wear them, they're ridiculously comfy and max protection.

Dude, I just drug them out and put them on with my riding jacket and pants. I'm gonna do it. I've had these boots for a long time. Through my on again, off again mx episodes. On their second soles (which I hope will make it..i think they will) and still rock solid. I'm actually liking the idea now. My first thought was, no way. But like you said, max protection, well broken in, and I'll look like Mad Max out there! Ha!

• Like 2

Dude, I just drug them out and put them on with my riding jacket and pants. I'm gonna do it. I've had these boots for a long time. Through my on again, off again mx episodes. On their second soles (which I hope will make it..i think they will) and still rock solid. I'm actually liking the idea now. My first thought was, no way. But like you said, max protection, well broken in, and I'll look like Mad Max out there! Ha!
Just carry some lightweight running shoes or flipflops for the hotel or campsite! Hope you have a great trip.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JefeRotacion said:

Low boots sketch me out, i like my shin coverage. Already got plenty of lower leg scars. 1564676161151.jpeg

This is when they need the ? reaction. Looks kinda like my shoulder. I got 9 screws and a plate in it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:
1 hour ago, C2.0 said:
Oh crap!
Was that from riding??

No, freak genetic accident.

Golf accident

• Like 1

I like Forma Adventure Lows.  Mine have done great.  Flexible, tough, comfy, kept my fooots dry landing in a creek lol

I'd pick the tall version boots if you're in water a lot.  

Look at the Alpinestar Corozol or a bit higher end Toucan. To me, one of the best blends of protection, comfort and walkability.

My review on the Corozol boot:

Here's a few reviews on the Toucan:

I previously had some Forma ADV and while very comfy, they lacked protection that I wanted, especially in the ankle.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Look at the Alpinestar Corozol or a bit higher end Toucan. To me, one of the best blends of protection, comfort and walkability.

My review on the Corozol boot:

Here's a few reviews on the Toucan:

I previously had some Forma ADV and while very comfy, they lacked protection that I wanted, especially in the ankle.

How wide would you say these are? I've got boat paddles, so I usually use gaerne boots, but would be interested in these if they run wide

On 7/30/2019 at 10:16 PM, JefeRotacion said:
On 7/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, jcross312 said:

Read more  

Just carry some lightweight running shoes or flipflops for the hotel or campsite! Hope you have a great trip.

I just went for a test run in the mx boots and I've already got a problem. The hinge part catches on the footpeg when I try to put my foot down. Seems like it only happens when I come to a complete stop. First time I was able to react fast enough to catch myself. Then when I pulled back into the garage it caught on it again and I wasnt quick enough and dropped the damn bike. Starting to have second thoughts. They were comfortable, but damn, this I do not like. I've never really had that problem on the dirtbike, although I do think it's happened on it too. It's where the flap that covers the hinge has a little lip that will catch on the pegs. Anyway, just thought I'd add to the thread. Wish I could come up with some way to prevent that from happening. Only thing I thought of was grinding the teeth off the outside of the legs, but I dont think I want to do that

On 8/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, jcross312 said:

How wide would you say these are? I've got boat paddles, so I usually use gaerne boots, but would be interested in these if they run wide

Seem "average" to me. But I've worn Gaerne and would say the same thing about them.

On the fence between Forma Adventure Low, and Alpinestars Belize. I have full length tech 6 but they are too much for dual sport and not good walkers.

Anyone on the Alpinestars Belize vs. Forma Adv Low? Price is comparable for my budget. Of course with my bearpaw wide feet I will try both on, but that is a trip from here.

image.png.938f4ca03fd64e4d3e16ab850146aba6.png

image.png.71d8bf878295b155c553a27e28b1a5d6.png