Those look just like cut off versions of the Astar Corazol and the Forma ADV tall. If that's the case, A star all the way. Better toe, shank and ankle protection. I've had BOTH version of the regular boots and while the Formas are comfy, by comparison, they lack the protection of the A stars. I also think the A stars fit better, but both are comfy.

• Like 1

I figured out  the boot catching on footpeg thing. It catches when I go for the kick stand. First couple times it had me scratching my head. It just happened so quick I didnt realize what happened. It's a bad feeling when you're expecting to have your kickstand going down while simultaneously kicking off your right foot, only to realize a half second later your boot is caught on the peg. Eerie feeling. Glad i got that figured out. Still wouldn't mind having some more flexible boots

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Those look just like cut off versions of the Astar Corazol and the Forma ADV tall. If that's the case, A star all the way. Better toe, shank and ankle protection. I've had BOTH version of the regular boots and while the Formas are comfy, by comparison, they lack the protection of the A stars. I also think the A stars fit better, but both are comfy.

That is where I was leaning as my A star Tech 6 are stellar. Survived many a wicked crash and comfy. Never tried Forma, but a lot of DS riders wear them. Thanks

Those are fashion boots, ain't gonna protect Jack. Buddy had this on was stopped on a dirt hill, another biker ran into him. Broke his foot, messed his ankle. Somewhere floating around is a study about boot safety. You need ridged plastic protecting the shape of the ankle, restricting motion and thick, almost unbending steel shank

You're better off with hinged gaerne or equivalent for walking necessary distances. If the hinge catches on your pegs you're doing something wrong, could be a buckle on other boots..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chuckster said:

Those are fashion boots, ain't gonna protect Jack.

I agree more is better but these are the Aplinestars Belize specs, basically 3 inch shorter boot than my Tech 6's. I am 5'5 I do not have long lower legs. I also have a hell of a time with my fat calves and CTi2 braces buckling the top of my boots. Take it for what it is worth.

Features:

Upper constructed from full grain oiled leather on lower medial panel and suede leather on higher medial panel both with heat press texture for superior grip (Brown colorway)

Upper is constructed from PU coated leather on lower medial panel and suede leather on higher medial panel both with heat press texture for superior grip (Black colorway)

Front and rear bellow made with lightweight microfiber for more flexibility and comfort

TPU shin plate and calf plate design offers support and resistance for impacts

TPU shift pad made with technical texture for added grip plus foam padding on underneath for better comfort

Wide entry opening for convenience with 2 lateral buckles (shin plate and instep) for a precise and adjustable closure

Inner TPU ankles protector double density on medial side for protection

Lateral ankle closure system includes 2 polymer buckles. The closure includes a ratchet with memory and a quick release/locking system with self-aligning design for easy, precise closure; all buckles are replaceable.

Bio-mechanical lateral flexi-blade system provides excellent front and rear movement while offering support and protection to the ankle

Soft poly foam surrounds the ankles and collar offer comfort and shock absorbing performance

Drystar membrane layer between upper and lining for proven performance in difficult weather conditions

Internal toe box and heel counter reinforcement layered under the upper

Polypropylene insole with steel shank co-injected for excellent feel and rigid comfort and safety

Boot height stops just under the calf to offer a sporty alternative to the traditional touring high boot design

Alpinestars exclusive vulcanized rubber plus injected PU midsole designed for optimal combination of comfort and grip

Replaceable anatomical EVA footbed with Lycra lining on top

CE certified EN 13634:2010

23 hours ago, JefeRotacion said:

Ive eaten shit just as bad on my dual sport as on my dirt bike, I simply don't understand the impulse to reduce your protection level on a heavier, more powerful bike.

I think some people tone it down on dual sports if they know they're wearing sub-optimal gear. They probably rationalize it. For instance yesterday I was riding my street bike and it was bloody hot! Over 100 with high humidity. My riding jacket felt like a oven. It was sweltering. So I take my jacket off and it feels like heaven. It went from almost unbearable to very enjoyable.  I know that if I go down it ain't gonna be pretty. Its downright scary to think about. I go a little slower, give a little more space, ride a little more defensively and just accept it. I already suffer from overthinking about all the things that could happen. I ride to silence my mind. Its like therapy. So its complicated. You could wear the absolute best gear in the world and still die riding. 

20 hours ago, jcross312 said:

For instance yesterday I was riding my street bike and it was bloody hot! 

Take a look at Fly Racing Patrol jackets, they are extremely vented, I have rode in 100+ (lower humidity) with one no problem. Stopping is hot, but they flow great over about 20mph, almost like wearing a t-shirt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

Take a look at Fly Racing Patrol jackets, they are extremely vented, I have rode in 100+ (lower humidity) with one no problem. Stopping is hot, but they flow great over about 20mph, almost like wearing a t-shirt.

Thanks man, yeah, I need something different. Even a vest would be better than nothing. It was fun for a little while, but know better than making a habit of it. I'm kinda torn between atgatt, and trying to just enjoy life. I will def. take a look at that jacket

On 7/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, 76xtdrvr said:

The Forma Adventure Low boots are a pretty good compromise. 

+1 for the Forma Adventure Low. I combine them with knee guards for extra protection 

• Like 1

Another vote for the Formas.  I've been riding with the Adventure lows for about 6 months.  Good traction and flexibility for walking in, but still have ankle protection.

I've worn them with knee/shin guards or just with over-the-boot ADV pants with built in knee pads.  Comfortable for all day ADV, Street, or pure off road riding.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 1:55 PM, kdxyardsale said:

On the fence between Forma Adventure Low, and Alpinestars Belize. I have full length tech 6 but they are too much for dual sport and not good walkers.

Anyone on the Alpinestars Belize vs. Forma Adv Low? Price is comparable for my budget. Of course with my bearpaw wide feet I will try both on, but that is a trip from here.

image.png.938f4ca03fd64e4d3e16ab850146aba6.png

image.png.71d8bf878295b155c553a27e28b1a5d6.png

I browsed the two.   

A great description I came across I'm believing true is Formas are like a motorcycle boot you can hike in.  The sole of the boots have great lugs.  Theyll stick to your pegs.  But they are so comfy to walk and ride in.  Break in was fast.  

• Like 1

I think some people tone it down on dual sports if they know they're wearing sub-optimal gear. They probably rationalize it. For instance yesterday I was riding my street bike and it was bloody hot! Over 100 with high humidity. My riding jacket felt like a oven. It was sweltering. So I take my jacket off and it feels like heaven. It went from almost unbearable to very enjoyable.  I know that if I go down it ain't gonna be pretty. Its downright scary to think about. I go a little slower, give a little more space, ride a little more defensively and just accept it. I already suffer from overthinking about all the things that could happen. I ride to silence my mind. Its like therapy. So its complicated. You could wear the absolute best gear in the world and still die riding. 
I don't think at all while I'm riding street, it's pure subconscious. Do you not have all mesh summer gear? Im rolling Joe Rocket Ion pants and a Pilot Motosports direct air jacket, both in silver, which helps. I absolutely refuse to squid without gear, must have apex velocity!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JefeRotacion said:
On 8/8/2019 at 10:04 PM, jcross312 said:

Read more  

I don't think at all while I'm riding street, it's pure subconscious. Do you not have all mesh summer gear? Im rolling Joe Rocket Ion pants and a Pilot Motosports direct air jacket, both in silver, which helps. I absolutely refuse to squid without gear, must have apex velocity!

Haha, I hear ya. The thought of ending up in ICU getting skin grafts dont sound that great. But if you rode in this sh... you might reconsider. It's hot, the roads are straight and flat, and it's hot. And flat. And the roads are straight. Maybe a poor excuse, maybe not. The f'n heat and humidity is unreal 'round here. You're in a different world over in Oregon. Although I'm trying to gear up a little better

Posted (edited)

Yup, what he said, wear mesh gear.  Its what I do for summer.  Im STX/Hill Country area, we know about hot n humid too, also rocky terrain. Mesh will vent but you still gotta hydrate and do your best to cool down.  Two weekends ago I was baptized by a slick low water crossing.  Because I was wearing gear i had no boo boos.  I did get refreshed by the dip too.

We also make stopping by and swimming in a creek part of the day too to cool of.

Edited by Monica
  • Like 1

Yup, what he said, wear mesh gear.  Its what I do for summer.  Im STX/Hill Country area, we know about hot n humid too, also rocky terrain. Mesh will vent but you still gotta hydrate and do your best to cool down.  Two weekends ago I was baptized by a slick low water crossing.  Because I was wearing gear i had no boo boos.  I did get refreshed by the dip too.
We also make stopping by and swimming in a creek part of the day too to cool of.
Yeah, i always stop and swim too, then soak my shirt before i gear up to leave.

I use Garnae Trials boots the grippy sole works great when parking a heavy bike with short legs..