Coolant pressure

I've a '19 300rr. A couple of weeks ago I saw a few drops of coolant dripping from the pipe a day after a 2 hour ride. Took off the cap and it practically exploded in my face losing at least a few ounces of coolant. Called the dealer and they assured me that this was normal but I should bring it in so they could address the leak. While there the mechanic also assured me that it was normal for the coolant to be under pressure even the next day . What really gets me is that this (explosive) scenario has happened at least 3 additional times and has yet needed to be filled. Also a very slight leak (couple drops) still exists but always the next day. I've lost probably half a quart without having to put any in to fill it..Doesn't seem to run hot. Plenty of power. Coolant look and smell seems mostly normal . Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?.

I've a '19 300rr. A couple of weeks ago I saw a few drops of coolant dripping from the pipe a day after a 2 hour ride. Took off the cap and it practically exploded in my face losing at least a few ounces of coolant. Called the dealer and they assured me that this was normal but I should bring it in so they could address the leak. While there the mechanic also assured me that it was normal for the coolant to be under pressure even the next day . What really gets me is that this (explosive) scenario has happened at least 3 additional times and has yet needed to be filled. Also a very slight leak (couple drops) still exists but always the next day. I've lost probably half a quart without having to put any in to fill it..Doesn't seem to run hot. Plenty of power. Coolant look and smell seems mostly normal . Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?.

This happened to my 17’ 250rr. Seems to be a common issue with the Beta 2 strokes. Switching to ktm head rings and changing the coolant to engine ice solved the problem for me.

The first time it happened the coolant literally exploded out days after riding and got all over me.
  • Like 2

Your mechanic/dealer is full of sh@t. This is not normal and I’ve had the same problem with my 17 300rr. Believe it’s the o-rings in the head allowing a bit of back pressure to escape (into the cooling system) which keeps it under pressure until you pop the radiator cap or coolant leaks out from thermostat/hose connections. Tell your dealer to replace the head o-rings and fix the problem or get in contact with Beta USA. How a dealership can tell a customer that it is “normal” to have coolant explode out of the radiator cap when opened is beyond me.
  • Like 4

two points that are cause of increased pressure- head o-rings and the radiator puke tube. First check to make sure the tube leaving the radiator is not zip tied to the frame so tight it cannot bleed off pressure if the cap reaches its max temp. This tube caused my pressure issue, now gone. 

• Like 1

two points that are cause of increased pressure- head o-rings and the radiator puke tube. First check to make sure the tube leaving the radiator is not zip tied to the frame so tight it cannot bleed off pressure if the cap reaches its max temp. This tube caused my pressure issue, now gone. 
Checked the hose.. I was able to blow through it so all is well there..

Your mechanic/dealer is full of sh@t. This is not normal and I’ve had the same problem with my 17 300rr. Believe it’s the o-rings in the head allowing a bit of back pressure to escape (into the cooling system) which keeps it under pressure until you pop the radiator cap or coolant leaks out from thermostat/hose connections. Tell your dealer to replace the head o-rings and fix the problem or get in contact with Beta USA. How a dealership can tell a customer that it is “normal” to have coolant explode out of the radiator cap when opened is beyond me.
Sent an email to Beta USA.. this is their response..

Hello David, do me a favor and have your dealer or yourself change the coolant brand without doing anything else and let me know if the problem goes away we have seen this problem and we’re trying to narrow it down. Make sure you bleed the system by removing the bolt on top of the right hand radiator

Seems they think I am their guinea pig. Haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, crazyd said:
42 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Checked the hose.. I was able to blow through it so all is well there..

Next step is head gasket orings. Buy the KTM ones, never look back. Also dump the OEM coolant and use coolant of your liking, I prefer good old 50/50 prestone. No overheating issues for me at all. Slavens stocks them for $10.95 (buy the 08-18 300 ktm orings on the drop down menu)

https://slavensracing.com/shop/o-rings-gaskets-for-ktm-husaberg-200250300/

• Like 2

Next step is head gasket orings. Buy the KTM ones, never look back. Also dump the OEM coolant and use coolant of your liking, I prefer good old 50/50 prestone. No overheating issues for me at all. Slavens stocks them for $10.95 (buy the 08-18 300 ktm orings on the drop down menu)

I am a little nervous as the bike is still under warranty..

Just now, crazyd said:
6 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

I am a little nervous as the bike is still under warranty..

Don't be. the coolant issue is well known, and remedied by replacing the goofy stuff Giuseppe put in it at the factory, and replacing the head orings with KTM. Many have done this, and there is nothing catastrophic going on with your engine. Frank @ Betausa  is already acknowledging this, change just the coolant to see if things change. Personally, if I was draining coolant I'd replace the head orings while the coolant was out as to not do that task twice. It's a 10 min job. 

• Like 2

Change that stock coolant out and take green thing off bottom of gas cap. All your troubles will be solved. 
I did remove the valve from under cap.. noticed my gas got cooler.
Also I dropped the o-ring in the tank.

56 minutes ago, crazyd said:

I did remove the valve from under cap.. noticed my gas got cooler.
Also I dropped the o-ring in the tank.

My 19 300re did the same thing and the gas would produce bubbles that I thought was it boiling.  Coolant would be under bike the next day and the pressure would be in the radiator.  With the info I got from the beta fellas here I drained the stock coolant and flushed with distilled water.  Then put in engine ice.  Took green thing off under the gas cap and haven't had another issue. Golden. 

• Like 2

My 19 300re did the same thing and the gas would produce bubbles that I thought was it boiling.  Coolant would be under bike the next day and the pressure would be in the radiator.  With the info I got from the beta fellas here I drained the stock coolant and flushed with distilled water.  Then put in engine ice.  Took green thing off under the gas cap and haven't had another issue. Golden. 
So, bad coolant ? Really?

Well that's what Tim from Beta suggested. What the hell I'll give it a try.. thanks
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, crazyd said:
3 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

Read more  

So, bad coolant ? Really?

Absolutely. 

Hypothesis (credit Nutty Professor)

"In the last week I've been involved with 2 bikes (possibly a third) blowing off coolant out from under the radiator cap-valve, even when cold. The event is generally accompanied by a smell of ammonia (NH3)

Nitrogen from the air-gap mixes with hydrogen from the fill water to create ammonia. This pressurises the top tanks and pushes the cap-valve.

The reactant for this process is alloy soldering flux. The radiator makers aren't washing out the rads properly and this is the result. 

The fix is easy, flush thoroughly and fill with quality coolant. 

The same radiator company supplies most of the Euro brands so if your new bike has pressure building, especially when cold, this is the issue."

• Like 2