Johan de Lange

KTM 690 ENDURO R HARD STARTING

Please help.

My KTM 690 enduro had no problems starting. I forgot the lights on and drained the battery. After this the problem started. I replaced the battery but the bike did not start. When jump starting it starts immediately. I gave the new battery back to supplier and bought a new Lithium battery.

Still the same problem. Bike only starts when jump starting.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Jump starting is not always the greatest way to start a bike if its dead, especially if you're using something like a truck that puts out a lot of amps, as it can cook the wiring harness or fuses; its better to pull the dead  battery and try to resurrect it with a trickle charger or bump start it  on a hill. Assuming that the battery is all connected correctly, I'd look at the wires for blackened arcs, pull and check all the fuses, and the wiring connections themselves first.  

What is your jump start process? Are you saying that  it only runs when its connected via jumpers to a running vehicle/external battery, and then it dies when the jumpers are disconnected? does it stay running when you pull off the jumpers?

Sounds like you need more amps to get it to start that the battery can provide. This could indicate the compression release is not working. I have never heard of the compression release having issues on a 690. More likely a bad connection in the electrical system. 

My 690 often struggles to turn over, I just let off the starter button and hit it a second time and it fires... 

Took the bike to KTM agents. After 2 days they came back to me and told me the starter is faulty.

This does not make sense. Why will the bike not start with only battery power but when jump started it starts immediatly. There after runs like a dream untill switched off. Then jump start again.

Any ideas?