dirtbird

2020 Beta Photos

1 hour ago, DirtJunkie69 said:

Oh man your second pic, I know what that's like. I flew out to ride with my buddy and I was on his CR250 at the time when I crashed it, crushed the clutch cover and broke the brake pedal, then fell down the edge. We used sticks and rocks to stake the bike in place and make about a foot or two of progress at a time on the front and rear, staking again, and repeating until back on the trail. It was only the 2 of us and it was far too loose and steep to even stand on. Good times!

It was a memorable ride for sure.  I was 20 miles into a singletrack solo ride and had gained about 4200' elevation from the trailhead when that happened. The trail was narrow, off-camber, and on super-dry loose scree that was like riding on ball bearings.  I was slowly rolling across the slope when my pant leg gently caught on the dead snag in the upper right side of the photo.  Coming to a stop was before anything happened was the easy part.  The trouble started when I inevitably had to lift my right foot from the rear brake pedal to free my leg.  That required that I transfer my braking power to the front brake, and even though the bike was stopped it pushed the scree under the front tire and off the trail we went.

The slope continued like in the photo a couple of thousand feet or so in the wrong direction, so dragging the bike back up onto the trail was was only way to recover it.  Because I chose to carry a chainsaw and fuel etc. for it that day I'd also chosen to only bring one rope with me, which wasn't long enough to both secure one end of the bike and lift on the other.  I ended up walking off the mountain and hiking back up a couple of days later with more rope and a couple of ratchet straps, which is what you see in the photo.

Looking back I like to think of it as "a teachable moment" LOL.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wwguy said:

It was a memorable ride for sure.  I was 20 miles into a singletrack solo ride and had gained about 4200' elevation from the trailhead when that happened. The trail was narrow, off-camber, and on super-dry loose scree that was like riding on ball bearings.  I was slowly rolling across the slope when my pant leg gently caught on the dead snag in the upper right side of the photo.  Coming to a stop was before anything happened was the easy part.  The trouble started when I inevitably had to lift my right foot from the rear brake pedal to free my leg.  That required that I transfer my braking power to the front brake, and even though the bike was stopped it pushed the scree under the front tire and off the trail we went.

The slope continued like in the photo a couple of thousand feet or so in the wrong direction, so dragging the bike back up onto the trail was was only way to recover it.  Because I chose to carry a chainsaw and fuel etc. for it that day I'd also chosen to only bring one rope with me, which wasn't long enough to both secure one end of the bike and lift on the other.  I ended up walking off the mountain and hiking back up a couple of days later with more rope and a couple of ratchet straps, which is what you see in the photo.

Looking back I like to think of it as "a teachable moment" LOL.

That is a whole lotta suck and being by yourself.. what do you do different now? Carry extra rope and ratchet straps?

Just now, DirtJunkie69 said:

That is a whole lotta suck and being by yourself.. what do you do different now? Carry extra rope and ratchet straps?

More rope, yes.  But not ratchet straps.  They're too heavy in addition to chainsaw, saw gas and tools, bike tools, water bladder, and other basic survival gear for Idaho solo backcountry riding.  I do carry a Garmin InReach two-way satellite messenger, but in a situation like that it's really only good for explaining to my wife why I'll be late returning home.  I do have a Clake SLR left-hand rear brake now, which frees up my feet in a variety of situations (especially downhill right-hand switchbacks.)  And I've returned to that location, which is rideable from our family cabin, and removed the dead snag and re-benched the trail.  So at least that won't happen to me at that same spot again.  Probably.

• Like 2

It is not a belay device but more used for rescue work. You can make one up yourself (as I did) from various belay devices and ratcheting pullies but this one does work better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redpillar said:

This set up has been used with great success.

http://motorcyclejazz.com/Bike_Self_Rescue_Kit.htm

That's a great setup and pretty much the same as the Z-drag systems I've used during for wilderness whitewater rafting expeditions for years. (Today's trivia: "Whitewater" is the "ww" part of my username.)  But that Cascade system measures 18" x 3" and weighs almost 3 lbs.  I've got a similar setup and have stared at it on the garage floor next to the other gear competing for space and weight in my riding pack items several times.  There's just no room for everything on my bike and body, even with my big Zacspeed 22L pack.  At least for a one-man day-tripping' Idaho shit show like mine anyway.

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wwguy said:

That's a great setup and pretty much the same as the Z-drag systems I've used during for wilderness whitewater rafting expeditions for years. (Today's trivia: "Whitewater" is the "ww" part of my username.)  But that Cascade system measures 18" x 3" and weighs almost 3 lbs.  I've got a similar setup and have stared at it on the garage floor next to the other gear competing for space and weight in my riding pack items several times.  There's just no room for everything on my bike and body, even with my big Zacspeed 22L pack.  At least for a one-man day-tripping' Idaho shit show like mine anyway.

Yes it is weighty for sure, and you have to decide the weight cost to benefit.

4 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

I just watched the demo videos, and yes it apparently still does it, but not as much as my 2016 or 19 does

I started the bike about 4 times and it  just starts and stays at idle. I took a vid but cant post it..

• Like 2

Two of my buddies are Beta dealers.  I talked to one this weekend and he's been getting 2020s but they are going right to Enduro Engineering so they can develop parts.   Dammit!  I was hoping he was going to take one for himself so I could ride it.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hmm maybe Boano racing is sticking with 2019 and earlier Beta to race for now..

73BC340F-AFFE-4C3D-A172-09ED07AFF1A5.png

Yep, I don't know if they've been testing like Holcombe has? Can't blame them for the move with Freeman holding onto a slim 4 point lead. Can't wait for the weekend to see what happens. 

They probably are just waiting until the red plastic comes available for the '20's😀

• Haha 1

"You’ve spent time testing the new 2020 Beta RR 300, how has that been?

“I jumped on the new 2020 Beta 300 when I got back to riding. I love it. Although I was a little behind initially due to taking time out to regroup my fitness, once we knuckled down to testing in Italy we covered everything that was needed in a relatively short amount of time, which was really confidence-inspiring and showed to everyone that the new bike is a real step forward. Once back at home in England we were able to improve things further on tracks I’m familiar with. The suspension is a big improvement over the previous model. I’m excited to get back to EnduroGP and see what we can do. Overall, we’re in a happy place.”

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4414-holcombe-fit-and-fired-up-for-endurogp-comeback-at-czech-gp

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Yep, I don't know if they've been testing like Holcombe has? Can't blame them for the move with Freeman holding onto a slim 4 point lead. Can't wait for the weekend to see what happens. 

They probably are just waiting until the red plastic comes available for the '20's😀

Red is nice  ... but it just shows how competitive current bikes are to not be in a rush to change. It’s cool to see 19 and 20’s racing.. It’s great free entertainment for Beta riders to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

"You’ve spent time testing the new 2020 Beta RR 300, how has that been?

“I jumped on the new 2020 Beta 300 when I got back to riding. I love it. Although I was a little behind initially due to taking time out to regroup my fitness, once we knuckled down to testing in Italy we covered everything that was needed in a relatively short amount of time, which was really confidence-inspiring and showed to everyone that the new bike is a real step forward. Once back at home in England we were able to improve things further on tracks I’m familiar with. The suspension is a big improvement over the previous model. I’m excited to get back to EnduroGP and see what we can do. Overall, we’re in a happy place.”

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4414-holcombe-fit-and-fired-up-for-endurogp-comeback-at-czech-gp

Remain to discover what suspension... 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1