Moto Apps That Are Da $#@!??? Read more... ×
Gatorade88

How hard would you say it is to do maintenance on a new 4T/2T dirt bike?

I have never paid for a brand new dirt bike but might consider it sometime in the future. What's your guys' opinion on maintenance on a newer bike. Is it hard or easy? I have no problem working on dirt bikes at all but have never worked on things like fuel injection, air forks, etc.

Periodic maintenance is no different on a new bikes vs. old... oil changes, filters..etc.. all pretty much the same thing in a different package.

Air forks?  Not sure what you're looking at there, forks often have bleeders to equalize air pressure..  Modern forks can be a bit more complex that older forks, but it's not rocket science...

FI is just fuel delivery, there are more parts to fail than a carb (pump, injector, CPU) however IMO they technology is mature and pretty solid...

• Like 1

As already stated, most of the maintenance is pretty much the same as the older bikes. You just run into a few more complications with EFI and having a computer along with that. A top end rebuild is also very similar to what it used to be. Honda does have split cases on some of their newer bikes so an oil change does have one extra step to it but still very simple. Not sure if other bikes have this or not.

I do all my work on my bike and I haven’t had a problem with my EFI yet but I think if something went wrong there I might have to take it in

Now working on a new EFI bike with liquid cooling and a computer is gonna be pretty different than say an old air cooled xr250 that basically never needs valve adjustments or a new top end

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

FI is just fuel delivery, there are more parts to fail than a carb (pump, injector, CPU) however IMO they technology is mature and pretty solid...

It works till it doesn't, hopefully that place is not 20 miles down a canyon without a Jeep trail to get to your bike and load it into the Jeep get it back out.

If no Jeep trail here is Ericksons phone number 503.505.5800 you might want to put it in your phone.