230 Sausage

P-tech skidplate/linkage guard install

Way too many fitment problems, hopefully you will be able to send it back. 

• Like 1

When the plate comes with the linkage protection, it is a major PITA to install as it is preformed in the rear and the lower link keeps pushing the plate out of allignment. This is why I suggested to lay the bike and maybe pushing the rear with your knee. 

To determine if the front-pipe part dimensions are correct, remove the pipe from the bike and slide it into the plate. 

If it still doesn't then it is not correct but this has almost never happened to me with many various models ptech plates. 

Then again, have never fitted a RR200 plate.... 

When the plate comes with the linkage protection, it is a major PITA to install as it is preformed in the rear and the lower link keeps pushing the plate out of allignment. This is why I suggested to lay the bike and maybe pushing the rear with your knee. 
To determine if the front-pipe part dimensions are correct, remove the pipe from the bike and slide it into the plate. 
If it still doesn't then it is not correct but this has almost never happened to me with many various models ptech plates. 
Then again, have never fitted a RR200 plate.... 

I mean, I can give that a shot I guess, but you'll have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical of the pipe fitment seeing as how extremely tight the plate is on the sides. It really feels as though the pipe dimensions for the skidplate should have been at least 1/2"-1" wider on each side. If that were to happen, I'd imagine I'd have the amount of play necessary to line up the holes. I called Sierra, gave em the photos above, and they said they'd talk to P-tech and get back to me before the week is over.

3 hours ago, 230 Sausage said:

I mean, I can give that a shot I guess, but you'll have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical of the pipe fitment seeing as how extremely tight the plate is on the sides. It really feels as though the pipe dimensions for the skidplate should have been at least 1/2"-1" wider on each side. If that were to happen, I'd imagine I'd have the amount of play necessary to line up the holes. I called Sierra, gave em the photos above, and they said they'd talk to P-tech and get back to me before the week is over. emoji2369.png

OK, just checked again your photos and the ones from ptech site. It seems that the plate needs to be lifted and alligned from the rear. 

Check the photos. If you loosen the bolts of the front mounting bracket (to the frame cross member) then you get more slack to adjust fitting of the rear mounting hole and the lower bracket. There are oval holes for this bracket as well so it is meant to be adjusted. 

If then it drops in place you just snug tight everything. Don't remove the bracket, just loosen it. 

IMG_20190815_070016.jpg

IMG_20190815_070042.jpg

• Helpful 1

OK, just checked again your photos and the ones from ptech site. It seems that the plate needs to be lifted and alligned from the rear. 
Check the photos. If you loosen the bolts of the front mounting bracket (to the frame cross member) then you get more slack to adjust fitting of the rear mounting hole and the lower bracket. There are oval holes for this bracket as well so it is meant to be adjusted. 
If then it drops in place you just snug tight everything. Don't remove the bracket, just loosen it. 
IMG_20190815_070016.jpg.f0a7132f193e03636f7cb0df99da75f7.jpg
IMG_20190815_070042.jpg.55c36ebff57f7623fa12be56d277ca66.jpg
I am pessimistic on the matter, but I'll give it a whirl and report back.
  • Like 1

Ok. I still haven't heard back from anyone at p-tech or sierra. But I felt a bit squirrelly tonight, so I said 'F' it imma take this damn pipe off and fit this thing that way. Make sure the pipe fits in the plate while off the bike? Check. Will it then install on the frame nice and square? Check. Now will it fit everything up in there in a skidplatey fashion? Nope.

Everything is bolted in place. Dont worry, I didnt tighten anything yet, I'm not that silly. Was able to kinda sorta attach the pipe to the exhaust. But I can't for the life of me get it back into the motor. If I could get that and line up the pipe mounts, that'd be fantastic. 20190816_213921.jpeg.13e13e0104491ec982f7b3a5b2123317.jpeg20190816_224700.jpeg.04eeebb3d7207a482c06d3b7f7dea144.jpeg20190816_224842.jpeg.e3aaab500af887d6079fc6e60b35cbc5.jpeg20190816_225158.jpeg.2431cd2f7f59925af8198d5db88b1dfa.jpeg

@230 Sausage,

Sorry to call you out on something so obvious, but are you applying pressure and slightly bending the plastic linkage guard as you're installing the plate?  That piece is very stiff when new. I remember the first install on the 300 wasn't easy, but after that plastic piece bent to position it became straightforward. 

[mention=512275]230 Sausage[/mention],

Sorry to call you out on something so obvious, but are you applying pressure and slightly bending the plastic linkage guard as you're installing the plate?  That piece is very stiff when new. I remember the first install on the 300 wasn't easy, but after that plastic piece bent to position it became straightforward. 

Yup. I started the install from the rear bolt and worked my way forward. I also layed the bike on its side so I could knee that thing on.

I guess I'm not the only one either. There's a beta 200RR facebook group I joined and there's a couple guys on there who went with the ptech and had some fitment issues as well. Sounds like one of them has the same problem as I with the pipe dimensions and said he needed to hammer it on.

The aftermarket can be a b!tch. If I really have to, imma heat this b!tch up, bore some holes, and bend it to my will. F#@k it.

That thing is going to be a PITA to take on and off for maintenance. 

It should should pretty much bolt right up. 

• Like 2

That thing is going to be a PITA to take on and off for maintenance. 
It should should pretty much bolt right up. 
Lol, it should.

But it ain't.

A bit demoralizing. I either go through a return and/or refund gauntlet, or I forever reshape it to where is DOES bolt on and off. Money well spent

I have decided to bail on this thing and go for a carbon fiber pipe guard. This p-tech isn't worth the effort for me, so hopefully I can do an exchange or something with Sierra, send it back and get something more practical and efficient.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

I have decided to bail on this thing and go for a carbon fiber pipe guard. This p-tech isn't worth the effort for me, so hopefully I can do an exchange or something with Sierra, send it back and get something more practical and efficient.

AXP Skid plate with a Carbon Fiber pipe guard. 👍🏻

E2444C7A-9941-40EE-BBA1-0FB9B07B9EFD.thumb.jpeg.1c4d097b635c1800fac2fa5561725ee0.jpeg

https://www.axp-racing.com/en/product/2018-2019-beta-125rr-200rr-xtrem-skid-plate-axp-racing-black-ax1488

They can be ordered direct or from Slavens. 

https://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-beta/

Easy to install, light weight, great protection. 

I ride a lot of rocks and this is what I use. 

It’s not as bullet proof for the pipe as the metal skid/pipe guards. But the pros out weigh the cons IMO.  

On 8/16/2019 at 8:59 PM, 230 Sausage said:

Ok. I still haven't heard back from anyone at p-tech or sierra. But I felt a bit squirrelly tonight, so I said 'F' it imma take this damn pipe off and fit this thing that way. Make sure the pipe fits in the plate while off the bike? Check. Will it then install on the frame nice and square? Check. Now will it fit everything up in there in a skidplatey fashion? Nope.

Everything is bolted in place. Dont worry, I didnt tighten anything yet, I'm not that silly. Was able to kinda sorta attach the pipe to the exhaust. But I can't for the life of me get it back into the motor. If I could get that and line up the pipe mounts, that'd be fantastic. 20190816_213921.jpeg.13e13e0104491ec982f7b3a5b2123317.jpeg20190816_224700.jpeg.04eeebb3d7207a482c06d3b7f7dea144.jpeg20190816_224842.jpeg.e3aaab500af887d6079fc6e60b35cbc5.jpeg20190816_225158.jpeg.2431cd2f7f59925af8198d5db88b1dfa.jpeg

Remove silencer then try to fit up pipe. Never install a pipe into a mounted silencer. 

• Helpful 1