railduke1

CRF450L First impression....ehh

They definitely are great looking bikes. I've ordered the Yoshi, Vortex, Handguards, Seat Concepts. I haven't decided whether to get a rear rack and rotopax or an IMS tank. I already have the MSR fuel bottles on hand, but they are a pain to pack sometimes. I'm looking to do some of the northwest BDR trips and haven't decided on the
rear soft bags yet.

IMG_0678.JPG
I went the rack and roto pax route. I figured I could always add the IMs tank later, if need be. It just takes 4 bolts to remove and or reinstall. My local rides I can ride over the mtn and refuel and then head back. Have some longer trips planned in the future. My goal has been to keep the bike as light as possible. So having the option to remove the rack has been nice for my current situation. If I end up with the Ims I can bring 4 gallons
  • Like 3

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.aba589176a26583f655337f6efa1de5e.JPG
I went the rack and roto pax route. I figured I could always add the IMs tank later, if need be. It just takes 4 bolts to remove and or reinstall. My local rides I can ride over the mtn and refuel and then head back. Have some longer trips planned in the future. My goal has been to keep the bike as light as possible. So having the option to remove the rack has been nice for my current situation. If I end up with the Ims I can bring 4 gallons

Also, look into the flatland license plate mount. Super happy with mine.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bajacaat said:

IMG_0678.JPG
I went the rack and roto pax route. I figured I could always add the IMs tank later, if need be. It just takes 4 bolts to remove and or reinstall. My local rides I can ride over the mtn and refuel and then head back. Have some longer trips planned in the future. My goal has been to keep the bike as light as possible. So having the option to remove the rack has been nice for my current situation. If I end up with the Ims I can bring 4 gallonsemoji106.png

The IMS 3.0gal tank only weighs 1lb 2oz. more than the factory 2gal Titanium tank and it doesn't add to the felt width of the bike, also note that the extra pound is centrally located. Granted you are holding 1gal more fuel for the first 40-50 miles so that adds some weight but you don't have to run it full if weight is key on a particular ride or just know that it'll get lighter after the first half of your ride lol. I like having the extra gallon built in over putting seven or more pounds up high on the tail and still retaining the weight on the tail with the rack and empty Rotopax after you've dumped your 1 gallon. 

• Like 2

The IMS 3.0gal tank only weighs 1lb 2oz. more than the factory 2gal Titanium tank and it doesn't add to the felt width of the bike, also note that the extra pound is centrally located. Granted you are holding 1gal more fuel for the first 40-50 miles so that adds some weight but you don't have to run it full if weight is key on a particular ride or just know that it'll get lighter after the first half of your ride lol. I like having the extra gallon built in over putting seven or more pounds up high on the tail and still retaining the weight on the tail with the rack and empty Rotopax after you've dumped your 1 gallon. 

True. I like the option of all the rackless luggage systems available. I have a rack and large tank on my xr650r but I may go the lighter rackless route with the 450. My best bet for weight reduction would be to push away from the dinner table. I've been on a lifting/strength kick for about last 10 years and put on 30 pounds. Too bad it wasn't all muscle! Anyhow, some running and a diet is in order. Riding is by far my favorite sport/hobby and the bodyweight isn't helping.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tex68w said:

I tend to agree with you.  I have the rear rack.  I don't usually carry the Rotopax but do carry a Kreiga 10L pack with some gear which is a little weighty.  Having the weight right out the back is not the best for bike handling.  I've been thinking that I should move to saddle bags which would move the weight more toward the rider position rather than having it hanging and swaying around right out the back.

• Like 1

Typically when I use the roto pax. It’s for a longer than normal street ride to get to the trail. Then refill tank before hitting the dirt. Usually those types of ride are exploring a new trail. So usually not full throttle, until I’ve learned the trail, at least once. Depending on the terrain. I agree having a larger tank is ideal. Just waiting to see if more options come out.
Even if you go with the ims, it doesn’t hurt to have an extra gallon on the back.
Like a camping kinda ride, where performance isn’t the main goal. I have a nice bag that hooks around the roto pax and securely on the rack. For me right now I’m trying to keep my bike as light as possible even the extra pound for the ims tank. And keep the option to do more of an adventure ride. Like to a fishing hole or a night camping.
Luckily I’m not far from the trail head from my garage and I have the option of having a gas station on the other side of the mtn. I think in this case each riders situation will be different. With all that said I’m sure a larger tank will replace the stock one eventually.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bajacaat said:

Even if you go with the ims, it doesn’t hurt to have an extra gallon on the back.

I agree, I use a Giant Loop 1gal soft bladder instead. Different strokes....

• Like 3

Well I just had my first ride after setting the sag and adjusting the suspension. I still need a bigger rear spring, but I was able to get 110 set with gear on. I just set the clickers to the suggested starting settings in the manual. The dealer had the fork rebound set 3 clicks in more than the manual.

Much much better! The sag to start prior to setting was 130. Now it feels way better over everything. I was able to carry speed through the desert....now I need proper tires.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Railduke1, I felt exactly the same as you. Now I love the bike and have put 7000 km's on it in a few months. To tame the snatchy throttle. $200.00. A "Booster Plug". Google it and you will see hundreds of raving reviews. It gives the bike a richer fuel mixture. It also gives it a motor throaty sound. As I wanted it to be a true dual sport, I wanted it highway worthy. I went fro 51 teeth on the back sprocket to 49 teeth. I was not able to get the 49 tooth sprocket with the rubber covering as the stock one has. The 49 tooth revs the engine much less at high speeds. I found that tire balancing and spoke tightness were very important for high speed stability. I don't mind the 1000 km's oil changes but the valve checks at every 3000 km's piss me off as I can not do them myself. I had the dealer do it at 3500 km's and they said I should go 4500 km's before the next one as the first one was not out much. If after 4500 km's if it is not bad, then extend it even more. It has to do with riding style. I ride mostly twisty highways and logging roads. I am not skilled enough to do single track. I would try the Booster Plug before spending so much on the vortex and new exhaust. I also recommend the 3 gallon IMS fuel tank. It looks beautiful and the electronics that tell you you are low on gas work automatically with the tank. I also bought the "Seat Concepts" comfort lower seat and love it. I rode 28 hours in three days and did not really think about my butt.

Edited by Scooter61
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, railduke1 said:

I hear ya. I went back and forth in my mind, but my last 4 dirt oriented bikes were KTM/Husky and decided to try something different. I still have the 19 tx300 for woods etc. The vibration on the road at 60 from the Husky influenced the decision a bit. Also as much as I enjoy my old xr650r, I was hoping Honda recaptured that in a modern bike.

I would have done the exact same thing. Long time KTM & Husky rider also, have been curious about the new 450 for the same reasons you mention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooter61 said:

Hi Railduke1, I felt exactly the same as you. Now I love the bike and have put 7000 km's on it in a few months. To tame the snatchy throttle. $200.00. A "Booster Plug". Google it and you will see hundreds of raving reviews. It gives the bike a richer fuel mixture. It also gives it a motor throaty sound. As I wanted it to be a true dual sport, I wanted it highway worthy. I went fro 51 teeth on the back sprocket to 49 teeth. I was not able to get the 49 tooth sprocket with the rubber covering as the stock one has. The 49 tooth revs the engine much less at high speeds. I found that tire balancing and spoke tightness were very important for high speed stability. I don't mind the 1000 km's oil changes but the valve checks at every 3000 km's piss me off as I can not do them myself. I had the dealer do it at 3500 km's and they said I should go 4500 km's before the next one as the first one was not out much. If after 4500 km's if it is not bad, then extend it even more. It has to do with riding style. I ride mostly twisty highways and logging roads. I am not skilled enough to do single track. I would try the Booster Plug before spending so much on the vortex and new exhaust. I also recommend the 3 gallon IMS fuel tank. It looks beautiful and the electronics that tell you you are low on gas work automatically with the tank. I also bought the "Seat Concepts" comfort lower seat and love it. I rode 28 hours in three days and did not really think about my butt.

If you have the Booster Plug, you should really try the Baffle Mod,

It really works well, and does not affect sound or low/mid range power,

if anything it helps the power there but the big  thing you will notice is the way the motor will pull so much better from 5500-to 8500 rpms.

Designed on and by mars.

6 hours ago, Scooter61 said:

what is the baffle mod and where do you buy it for the crf450l?

it's drilling a bunch of holes in the stock exhaust.  i wouldn't do it.  it'll make it louder

• Sad 1

I read all the pros and possible cons of the booster plug and decided to go with the sure thing (so I've read) and ordered the Vortex. I appreciate the input.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Motoriderx said:

it's drilling a bunch of holes in the stock exhaust.  i wouldn't do it.  it'll make it louder

We'll you didn't drill or cut holes right, belive me I no,and have done db readings on all my mods,from the baffles,my own headpipe,and vance and hines can I made for L,and I am using a 08 X can on my L now,it's quiet and preforms.

The Baffle mod does not affect sound but at 6500 to 8500 it is 1 db louder if that.the trick is when u do bm,it's to not cut or drill through the stanless thread or weave that is at the bottom aginst the inner baffle or powerbomb.

Don't be saying sht about things if you haven't done them and are just going with your own theory.

Db reading I've posted on 450L old guys site on adv.also dyno results..

Not everybody can justify spending $11,000 and then having to put another $1,500 in for a pipe Muffler and vortex the manufacturers Hate the booster plug and baffle mod if you do the math for the horsepower and torque you gain with the vortex pipe and can it's like $231 a horsepower and $273 for a foot pound of torque now for $150 and if you do your own baffle mod with the booster plug for 2.5 horsepower it's costing you $60 a horsepower and 3.2 torque it's costing you $47 for a foot pound of torque not all of us need the vortex in pipe we are happy with the 450 l we just want to tame the throttle and then if you want to upgrade later you can get the vortex head pipe in can or a JD tuner for DBK piggyback box.

At least there is a option that I'm giving you for free all tested and done on a dynojet. Back in November. 

• Like 1

So, does anyone no or have seen the inside of a 450L muffler, or even understands or knows how many chambers there are in it, to control heat,or keep converter hot so it stays clean and does not clog? also why it is so quiet?

after I took pics of everything, I than thought about ,how to free up the rpms above 5500, were it fell on its face, but to also not take away the TQ down low,and to streach the power from 5500 to 8500, but also keep the 450L quiet.

That is were the BM works,also keeps the can cooler were before BM at rpms 5500 up was were it was the hottest,flow would slow down,and heat was unreal. the BM cured all that.

StillSnapshot000022.jpg

Snapshot000010.jpg

Snapshot000007.jpg

Snapshot000001.jpg