How much more range from oversized tank?

Hey guys check it out just went from a 2.6 gal tank to a 3.5 IMS tank for my 18 carb'd 300. 

I was getting anywhere between 80-90 miles, including reserve, on the stock tank depending on how hard and at what altitude I'm riding. 

Any idea what to expect with almost a full gallon increase? Hoping to get close to 150 but might have to be efficient riding for that to happen. 

What have you guys seen? 4t & 2t opinions welcome 

A bit of math, (hopefully better than my high school days)

Say 80 miles divided by 2.6 gallons = 30.77 mpg

3.5 multiplied by 30.77 = new range of 107 miles 

At 90 miles / 2.6 = 34.61 mpg x 3.5 = new fuel range of 121 miles 

Additionally installing an Acerbis 0.6 gallons handlebar aux. tank could get you closer to 150 miles (141) but will take careful throttle management.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

4 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

I have one of those tanks for my RM's. I hated it, made the seat too steep, I like it as flat as possible. I use Lectron carby's, so don't need the OS tank. The fuel efficiency/economy is so much better. If I used a Lectron and the OS tank, I could ride all day long. 

What was the question again?  lol

Modern tanks don't do that. My IMS tank feels just like the stock one, on my TE, and my 2003 WR450. Ddint change the seating position at all. IIRC, the IMS tank I put on my 1990 YZ didn't change the seat position, or angle, either... 

All at least +1g....

2 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

Modern tanks don't do that. My IMS tank feels just like the stock one, on my TE, and my 2003 WR450. Ddint change the seating position at all. IIRC, the IMS tank I put on my 1990 YZ didn't change the seat position, or angle, either... 

All at least +1g....

Well. It does on the RM's, and YZ's. Guess you got lucky .

1 minute ago, RichBaker said:

The 2003 WR uses the YZ tank, shrouds and seating ....  The 90 was a YZ with wide ratio trans. Neither tank affected the seat position or geometry................, 

No luck involved.

On my RM it absolutely does. And, I've been having a discussion with a YZ owner who complained about the same thing. Plus my mate has that combo as well. In which case. I'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mlatour said:

A bit of math, (hopefully better than my high school days)

Say 80 miles divided by 2.6 gallons = 30.77 mpg

3.5 multiplied by 30.77 = new range of 107 miles 

At 90 miles / 2.6 = 34.61 mpg x 3.5 = new fuel range of 121 miles 

Additionally installing an Acerbis 0.6 gallons handlebar aux. tank could get you closer to 150 miles (141) but will take careful throttle management.

What he said ^^^  I'd stick to the low end of that range until you confirmed a few rides.

Also OP if you're able, do a full tank to empty run to confirm.  I know its a pita, I'm still trying to do the same on my Safari 3.7 on my WR to get the range.  Mine is natural.   Easy to see the fuel level but its butt ugly. 

Edited by Monica
  • Like 1