ximzinc

Which Dual-Sport Should I Buy?

Hey everyone! Just found these forums while looking for an answer to my question - seems like an awesome community! I appreciate any help you guys can provide, and I plan on being active here in the near future!

Basically, I'm trying to decide on which dual sport I should be looking for. It will be mainly used for trail riding, but I need to go far distances for most trails, so being freeway capable is a necessity. I don't need to be pushing 80+, though. I've ridden/experienced pretty much every "power level" before, so I'm not afraid of something big. 

If anyone has any recommendations for awesome trail riding, please let me know! Thanks a ton! 

1. What is your skill Level (be honest)?

I've been riding everything from quads to sport bikes as long as I can remember.

2. What's your height & weight?

I'm 6'1, 170 lbs.

3. What year, make, & model of motorcycle are you coming from? And, what do you want the new bike to do better?

I'm looking for my first street legal dirt bike, as I've moved from where I previously had land to ride on. Currently have a ZX6R and YZ250. 

4. What's your ballpark budget?

Looking to spend max $5,000 (used).

5. What types of terrain will you be riding?

I want a bike that can do good enough on the freeway to go long distance, but I don't need high speeds or anything - I plan on taking the bike on trips to mostly trails and cool off-road places to ride. 

6. Will you be racing or just play riding?

Just fun trail riding for now. I do like to go fast, though.

I'd go for the Suzuki DR-Z400S.

• Pros: electric start, 2.6 gallons in the tank, street-ready, 36.8-inch seat height, strong motor (less maintenance), and it's carbureted.
  • Cons: 5-gear transmission, 317-pounds, and no kick starter.

I have never owned this motorcycle but I have heard that it is really great for long-distance dual sport rides. I forgot to mention that it is about $6,500 brand-new, but you can find nice used ones for $2,500 to $5,000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorade88 said:

I'd go for the Suzuki DR-Z400S.

• Pros: electric start, 2.6 gallons in the tank, street-ready, 36.8-inch seat height, strong motor (less maintenance), and it's carbureted.
  • Cons: 5-gear transmission, 317-pounds, and no kick starter.

I have never owned this motorcycle but I have heard that it is really great for long-distance dual sport rides. I forgot to mention that it is about $6,500 brand-new, but you can find nice used ones for $2,500 to $5,000.

Thanks for the recommendation, I contacted a few people in my area selling one. 

Any other recommendations (or agreements with this one)? 

Thanks! 

Can you street register any bike in Ohio with the right equipment? WR450F and all you need is the brake light switch, mirror, horn and bam, instant best DS bike out there.

• Like 1

DRZ is good for a slow to moderate trail pace. Anything more and you’ll want a KTM 500 EXC or 690, Husqvarna FE 501 or 701, or the street legal CRF 450.

Start with a used DRZ as they are cheap. If you don’t like it sell it and get something different...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Motoriderx said:

look at those orange bikes

To bad they don’t have a puck button, so here: orange bike, oh brother 🤮

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Knightly said:

DRZ is good for a slow to moderate trail pace. Anything more and you’ll want a KTM 500 EXC or 690, Husqvarna FE 501 or 701, or the street legal CRF 450.

Start with a used DRZ as they are cheap. If you don’t like it sell it and get something different...

Any opinions on WR250R's? Was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, but I don't want to get bored of it's power. 

So many mixed opinions, don't know what to get at this point.

WR250 is fine for mellow riding. It may be a good option to start with, but the small motor isn’t going to want to go freeway speeds.

• Helpful 1

9 hours ago, ximzinc said:

Any opinions on WR250R's? Was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, but I don't want to get bored of it's power. 

So many mixed opinions, don't know what to get at this point.

??? Can you plate ANY bike in your state???

8 hours ago, Knightly said:

WR250 is fine for mellow riding. It may be a good option to start with, but the small motor isn’t going to want to go freeway speeds.

The F would be better than the R as there is the YZ ECU etc. that can be changed out on the 14-19's. Share a engine, means you can share comes, heads, bore to a 270 etc.

The R is like having a TTR250, or even the Honda 230 street legal bikes.

16 hours ago, ximzinc said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I contacted a few people in my area selling one. 

Any other recommendations (or agreements with this one)? 

Thanks! 

The second best dual sport bike is probably the KTM 500 EXC. But for long-distance, it's hard to beat the DRZ400. The DRZ400 has the power that won't make you bored.

2 hours ago, 2SYZDOC said:

??? Can you plate ANY bike in your state???

The F would be better than the R as there is the YZ ECU etc. that can be changed out on the 14-19's. Share a engine, means you can share comes, heads, bore to a 270 etc.

The R is like having a TTR250, or even the Honda 230 street legal bikes.

We can plate any bike in my state with the right requirements - I'm just not looking to have to change oil after every ride and what-not. 

XR650L is old, but still a capable dual sport for play riding. Stock tank is too small though. But, IMS as a nice 4.0 for that.  Buddy had one for a little while. He rode with me when I had my KTM 690 and kept up on the trails nicely.

9 minutes ago, Gatorade88 said:

The second best dual sport bike is probably the KTM 500 EXC. But for long-distance, it's hard to beat the DRZ400. The DRZ400 has the power that won't make you bored.

5k budget. Whatever 500 that you can find for 500 is likely beat or a problem child.

5 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

XR650L is old, but still a capable dual sport for play riding. Stock tank is too small though. But, IMS as a nice 4.0 for that.  Buddy had one for a little while. He rode with me when I had my KTM 690 and kept up on the trails nicely.

5k budget. Whatever 500 that you can find for 500 is likely beat or a problem child.

If I was to up my budget to $6k or so, any further recommendations? Just want to get something that'll last me a long time without having to go through tons of maintenance. 

17 minutes ago, ximzinc said:

If I was to up my budget to $6k or so, any further recommendations? Just want to get something that'll last me a long time without having to go through tons of maintenance. 

The more dirt oriented the bike, the more maintenance is required. To make the bikes light weight they have less oil capacity. The Euro brands, ktm/husky, beta are more dirt based motors than a japanese dualsport. I agree with the post on a plated yamaha wr450. My buddy has an 05 and it's been bullet proof.

You can find an older KTM 690 for $6k. The 690 is ALOT of bike for the money (used). The 690 is lower maintenance, has huge power and can be made into whatever you want (except MX).

The DRZ Is a great mellow bike, has a huge following and if you buy used you can probably sell it for what you buy it for.

KLR 650 is bigger, heavier but also very popular. Easy trails only though.

XR650 is a good bike, but tall, really old technology and heavy.

Anything with a small motor is going to suffer on the freeway.

KTM 350/500 and Husqvarna 350/500 are amazing off-road, ok on road but are higher maintenance (oil change every 15 hrs full synthetic per the manual).

I prioritized off-road so I went with the Husqvarna FE 501. Great bike, super light.

I’d buy a clean 10 year old DRZ and try it. Suzuki hasn’t changed the bike much... or a used KTM 690 if you REALLY want to have some fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knightly said:

You can find an older KTM 690 for $6k. The 690 is ALOT of bike for the money (used). The 690 is lower maintenance, has huge power and can be made into whatever you want (except MX).

The DRZ Is a great mellow bike, has a huge following and if you buy used you can probably sell it for what you buy it for.

KLR 650 is bigger, heavier but also very popular. Easy trails only though.

XR650 is a good bike, but tall, really old technology and heavy.

Anything with a small motor is going to suffer on the freeway.

KTM 350/500 and Husqvarna 350/500 are amazing off-road, ok on road but are higher maintenance (oil change every 15 hrs full synthetic per the manual).

I prioritized off-road so I went with the Husqvarna FE 501. Great bike, super light.

I’d buy a clean 10 year old DRZ and try it. Suzuki hasn’t changed the bike much... or a used KTM 690 if you REALLY want to have some fun.

Thanks a ton for the help. What do you think of DR650's? 2005 with a little under 10k miles, owned by a 65 year old dude that seems to have taken insanely well care of it (thing looks spotless). He said he'd take $4k for it. Comes with a set of extra tires. 

2 hours ago, Gatorade88 said:

I agree had a 2007 with exhaust, 3x3 air box mod and jd jet kit, fun road bike where. Where It killed me was slow going hard trails...found it top heavy but for what he wants n price range it’s a great choice .  5k he should be able to get a beautiful one, I like be the KTM 500 but    He will need to up his budget for a nice one imhop

Edited by somethingnuw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I forgot about the XR650L series which is in fact, probably the second best dual sport bike. Another good bike I forgot to mention was Kawasaki's KLX series which is good for dual sporting as well. 

• Like 2