Chain always gets super dirty

My title probably sounds dumb but I ride a supermoto on the street roads where there’s no dirt or anything like that but always after a ride there’s so much brown grease (shown in picture) that gathers around my shifter and chain. I use a lube spray for my chain. The reason I’m asking is because I’m worrying something might be leaking etc.

IMG_1225.JPGIMG_1225.JPG

Yet your sprocket is a solid piece of rust

Thats the Grease thats been collecting on the sprocket, i can just wipe off. So no thats not rust.

The countershaft seal is probably seeping, it's nice because you have auto chain lube like a chain saw!

Haha, is that good or bad? Or rather is it supposed to be like that?

Get an o-ring chain if you don’t have one, and stop lubing it with chain lube.  Mine just gets a spray of WD40 after each washing.  Everything stays clean.

Alright, I’ll get hold of some WD40, is chain spray not good or what?
thoroughly clean your new chain by wiping it off to remove all the preservative, then lubricate with thin oil like WD40 and wipe clean again . do not need more lube unless you wash bike

Do you think I have to clean my chain guides as well?

47 minutes ago, got99problems said:

Alright, I’ll get hold of some WD40, is chain spray not good or what?
Do you think I have to clean my chain guides as well?

Clean everything.  The chain, sprockets, cases, swingarm, under the fender, everywhere there is that chain lube.  There is much controversy regarding a sealed o-ring chain needing lube.  Personally, I have been using o-ring and x-ring chains for 40+ years.  These chains have the grease sealed into the links and pins.  I do not add any other lubrication to the chain.  I spray it with WD40 after washing to displace the water and to protect the chain from rust.  WD40 has virtually no lubrication properties for the chain.

I get excellent chain and sprocket life doing it this way.  Adding a chain lube is only a topical application.  It does not get into the areas a chain really needs lubrication- the pins, rollers, and side plates.  Sure, some gets on the outside of the rollers and could potentially lubricate the surface between the roller and the sprocket teeth, but I believe the benefit would be minimal.  The forces of the chain rollers on the teeth are huge, and any lube there would be quickly compromised IMO.

I know many will disagree with me and claim the benefits of using a chain lube on a sealed chain.  It is my belief that any slight benefit of using chain lube on a sealed chain are vastly outweighed by the negatives of this practice.  Namely, the mess it makes and the fact chain lube attracts dirt, which sticks to it and acts as an abrasive to grind away at your sprocket teeth and at the seals (o-rings) which protect the areas really needing lubrication.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

I can see in your picture that the front sprocket teeth are starting to hook, so that tells me the chain and sprockets are worn .

As the chain wears the distance between the pins ( pitch) increases and the chain starts riding up on the sprocket teeth .

The brown goop you are seeing is the result of worn sprockets and chain. I see this damage all the time in my shop. 

Pony up for a good set of sprockets and O- ring chain . It will last a long time and require little adjustment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CzDavec1 said:

I can see in your picture that the front sprocket teeth are starting to hook, so that tells me the chain and sprockets are worn .

As the chain wears the distance between the pins ( pitch) increases and the chain starts riding up on the sprocket teeth .

The brown goop you are seeing is the result of worn sprockets and chain. I see this damage all the time in my shop. 

Pony up for a good set of sprockets and O- ring chain . It will last a long time and require little adjustment.

It's the red death, as above new chain and sprocket set time.  

• Like 1

Alright then, If I would’ve kept ridden it like that what would’ve happened to the chain?
Also would appreciate if you could recommend me a good brand of chains etc

11 minutes ago, got99problems said:

Alright then, If I would’ve kept ridden it like that what would’ve happened to the chain?
Also would appreciate if you could recommend me a good brand of chains etc

It would have broken or come off the sprockets.  DID, RK, EK.  Super Sprox JTsprockets.  You will need a chain tool to "cut" to proper length unless it comes with the proper pin/link count.  I'm sure YouTube can supply tutorials on working on chains.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, got99problems said:

The rear sprocket seems fine or am I wrong?
Does the chain look bad or is there any way I can tell it’s worn?
IMG_1227.JPGIMG_1228.JPG

Wrong. The Teeth are pointy, there is space between the teeth and the chain rollers. Grab the chain at mid point of the chains contact with the sprocket and pull rearward. Looking sideways if you can see more than 1/3 of the tooth it's time to think about replacement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gflo said:

Clean everything.  The chain, sprockets, cases, swingarm, under the fender, everywhere there is that chain lube.  There is much controversy regarding a sealed o-ring chain needing lube.  Personally, I have been using o-ring and x-ring chains for 40+ years.  These chains have the grease sealed into the links and pins.  I do not add any other lubrication to the chain.  I spray it with WD40 after washing to displace the water and to protect the chain from rust.  WD40 has virtually no lubrication properties for the chain.

I get excellent chain and sprocket life doing it this way.  Adding a chain lube is only a topical application.  It does not get into the areas a chain really needs lubrication- the pins, rollers, and side plates.  Sure, some gets on the outside of the rollers and could potentially lubricate the surface between the roller and the sprocket teeth, but I believe the benefit would be minimal.  The forces of the chain rollers on the teeth are huge, and any lube there would be quickly compromised IMO.

I know many will disagree with me and claim the benefits of using a chain lube on a sealed chain.  It is my belief that any slight benefit of using chain lube on a sealed chain are vastly outweighed by the negatives of this practice.  Namely, the mess it makes and the fact chain lube attracts dirt, which sticks to it and acts as an abrasive to grind away at your sprocket teeth and at the seals (o-rings) which protect the areas really needing lubrication.

I was basically using this technique, (not using WD-40 everytime, but frequently), and I noticed that my last o-ring chain did not last that long at all, and started kinking on me.

What causes this in o-ring chain, if they are lubed from the inside?

Your rear sprocket shows wear also.

If you keep riding it, it will just continue to wear at an ever increasing rate until you either run out of adjustment or the chain fails.

Always replace the sprockets and chain as a set. 

I would just use a quality chain from someone like , D.I.D. , R.K. , Regina etc. In other words a reputable manufacturer, same thing for the sprockets .

Edited by CzDavec1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, cadman_ks said:

I was basically using this technique, (not using WD-40 everytime, but frequently), and I noticed that my last o-ring chain did not last that long at all, and started kinking on me.

What causes this in o-ring chain, if they are lubed from the inside?

Don’t know what could cause it to kink if it was a quality chain.  I’ve heard some of the “name brand” chains sold on eBay are counterfeit Chinese  junk.  Stick with a reputable chain from a known supplier.  My last few chains have been Primary Drive x-ring from Rocky Mountain.  I have had very good luck with those, and the price is right.

• Like 1