17 450R lower seat options

I just picked up a clean low hour 2017 CRF450R, first dirt bike in about 16 years but I’ve been on street bikes for over 10 years, currently an 18 harley street glide.

I’m short at 5’6” but fairly built at 195lb and in good shape. I have no problem kicking the bike over but like many guys to get both feet down I can just barely scrape the toe of each boot and I can get half a foot if I move to one side.

It seems most of my friends track ride now which I’ve never done so I’ll be getting into that but I’ll do some trails and offroad too where I use to ride as a kid at old strippins and hill climbs. I’d rather not mess with the suspension so I’m going to start with a lowered seat, I’ve read lots of threads but most are fairly old. What are the good current options for a lowered seat that’s ergonomic and comfortable? I’m currently looking at Durell and seat concepts, any others to look at? I’d like something clean and professional and really just don’t have the time to hack it myself. 

942AC024-CA8A-4476-8BBB-9BFEBF01350A.jpeg

Edited by Jnull

I will be following this thread. I too am 5’6” 195lbs!
Just bought a 2012 RMZ 450 4 weeks ago!
I have not been on a dirt bike since the summer of 1994, that was the 1991 RM 125 I had. I traded it for a 1994 GSXR 750.
I also have not been on a street bike since the end of June 2011! That’s when I sold my 2007 GSXR 750.
I was between jobs and didn’t know it would be this long before I was back on a bike!
I have only been on the bike about 5 times so far but it has come back fairly quickly, especially getting used to the size of the bike. I do wish I had gone with something electric start though!!
I ordered a Rekluse auto clutch last week too! The tight trails on my friends property are making my 50 year old hands cramp and wrist hurt all the time now, from 30 years of bench press!

14RS3 I hear that, I’m only 31 but years of strength training, riding bikes and working with my hands has taken its toll. Had carpel tunnel surgery on my right hand this year and probably the left next year.

I’d like to try a rekluse clutch before buying one, if I end up doing a lot of trail riding but from everything I hear they’re pretty great for the intended use.

I thought I was going to regret not getting electric start but these fuel injected bikes start so easy even with the kicker.

31!! If you aren’t too beat up, you are entering your strength years!
Between 31 and 35 I became my strongest.
It might have gone on a few more years but 5 months after turning 35, I was out riding the dirt jumps on my bmx bike. I had been out there about an hour and was feeling good then I just hit a take off funny and landed even worse. Tore the patella tendon in my left knee and labrum in my right shoulder! Sounded like a gun going off when I hit the ground and everything popped!
I had the surgeries and haven’t been the same since, and of course I am a bit older which doesn’t help!
I haven’t been able to get over a 405 squat, 315 bench, or a 455 deadlift since then, all of those are 100 pounds under what I had been doing before the surgeries. I was also only 185 back then!
I keep plugging along though, do what I can when I can.
Also now have a stent in my heart and degenerative disk in my neck and back! Getting old is so much fun!

Well I emailed Durelle and they don’t have anything available for the 17+ bikes yet. So any other options worth looking at besides seat concepts? The guys that are using seat concepts are you getting the full replacement seat or just the foam and cover kit? Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Youthanasia said:

A lowering link kit would solve ur problem..

As I said I’d rather not mess with the suspension if I don’t have to. I figure starting with the seat would be the smartest route, If it’s fine after that then all is good but if not I wouldn’t have to lower the suspension as much as I would if that’s what I started with.

58750584853__A84F4736-AD42-43D3-93A8-CCA709769620.jpgIMG_3297.jpg

A couple shots, meant to take pictures during the process but got focused on the install instead.
Haven’t went through the break in procedures yet but drove it around the yard and it worked as advertised. Felt sort of weird at first not needing to use the clutch!

I bet. I’ve owned and driven nothing but manual vehicles my whole life, I’d have a hard time breaking that habit.

after emailing seat concepts I believe I’m going to go with their comfort 2.0 oem low. Customer service is awesome, I asked if the seat cover was available in all black, they replied saying to reload their site in a few and sure enough they added it! That’s customer service right there.

Guess I will be calling Rekluse today.
I have played with the adjustment for two days and if I have any noticeable free play gain, the clutch will grab at idle and bike will cut off.
I tried the internal adjustment way first and yesterday took it apart and readjusted everything to go with the external adjustment method. Both ways resulted in the same thing. Any noticeable free play gain equals the clutch not working as advertised.
Adjust the clutch until it lets go at idle then grabs when giving it gas and I have no free play gain!

Did you follow the instructions that came in the box or the pdf that's on the Rekluse website for 17-18 crf450r

When I installed the cx in my 18 crf450r I used the pdf instructions from there site. It's different from the box instructions and goes more in depth about the judder spring placement

https://rekluse.com/support/parts/?itemId=RMS-7901009E

I got it working properly.
I made a rookie mistake which I think is what caused my issue.
When I took out the old clutch and installed the Rekluse clutch I forgot to take the tension out of the clutch cable and adjust from there. First time doing a motorcycle clutch.
I took it apart and started over at the turning the ring counterclockwise until it stops on the pressure plate.
Set the ring, put it all back together, set the free play at the clutch lever, started the bike, got it warmed up and free play gain was right where it needed to be. Went through the break in procedures again and it seems to be working perfectly.
Will know for sure tomorrow when I take it over to a friends house and run his 185 acres. He has a modified Raptor 700R and I actually pull away until we get around 70mph, then he starts coming around!