TigerTanker

Friday 8/16/19 Night Ride @ Boundary Trail

Epic for a first ride over Sharky Rock and going by Rice Bowl which paled in comparison to the random vertical drops you'd see riding along in the woods.

Edited by KaToomTime

we made it out
D9A3F1E9-97F7-4E71-9AD4-C84F9A6CD60A.jpeg.dd65b5e7ea02c8324811f45b6305eafc.jpeg
What happened to your 350s? I thought you were done with 2t's? Did you just get that? How is it?

1 hour ago, Ew83 said:
11 hours ago, TigerTanker said:
we made it out
D9A3F1E9-97F7-4E71-9AD4-C84F9A6CD60A.jpeg.dd65b5e7ea02c8324811f45b6305eafc.jpeg

Read more  

What happened to your 350s? I thought you were done with 2t's? Did you just get that? How is it?

The bike is amazing. It was flawless on the Gifford ride. 

This ride was great fun. Night riding, with proper lighting, is all about staying on the trail. You are focused on what you can see and are not necessarily aware of off-trail consequences. Yes, there are obvious sections where there aren't much but you still have the same hazards as daytime riding with hidden stumps and rocks lurking in the bushes.  The side hill and exposed stuff you really just focus on the trail and minimizing negative situations.   I'll also say Shark Rock is cool but the switchbacks on either side aren't really too extreme imo. The real hazards on that trail and Boundary trail between Langile and Shark are lurking in unexpected places with un-recoverable drops. (well, technically nothing is unrecoverable for your bike if you rappel down to it and winch it back up).

Following @TigerTanker We pretty much split lead riding 50/50. The conditions were almost perfect. Minimal dust, but not wet except for the root-ridge on 1 where the fog and mist were so heavy they were collecting on the trees and dripping like rain.   The only thing that would have improved conditions is if it was clear.

G0021418.JPG.881fda710c88255a05f8ad3ce6eb2fef.JPG

A fair amount of this type of stuff

G0011054.JPG.65640737a876c62a19c24c919779ba78.JPG

Over 6000 lumens across 3 different lights visibility no problem.

G0022140.JPG.d5245743abc7c5cc274ec66d51a1a06c.JPG

I include this shot just to show how my $20 7" LED light bar is set up. I wired a toggle switch right into a piece of square aluminum tube and aluminum flat bar risers to clear the front brake line when the suspension compresses. Quick plug with a fused power source straight to the battery.

G0043539.JPG.76dd0f14a4948a340f6243dd1f9585f6.JPG

Looking back with the brake light on, just thought it was sort of cool.

G0045326.JPG.19b51f28a8e6e13ac5b2e79617a0bb64.JPG

G0043298.JPG

• Like 2

Obviously, the excitment of the ride came when we had about 20 miles left and I realized I had about 10 miles of fuel. I'm like wtf?? I'd done this exact same ride a year before and had a fair amount of gas to spare. The difference was that while we looked for trail #2 we missed the entrance.  The previous year there was a noticeable sign marking the entrance that is now either gone or overgrown. Wasted a good 4-5 miles of gas on that. 

But, the year before I was on my 2016 bike, and now I realize that my 2020 has a smaller gas tank. Flat out, this new 300 has a max reliable ST range of about 45 miles only!

Fortunately, Katoom's bike had enough gas to share...and once again he bails me out...

Lesson learned was that neither of us had a fuel jug at the car, let alone with any gas in it. And until you truly know your bike, and the fuel range, you need to bring some extra gas...especially at a place as unforgiving and remote as Gifford Pinchot.  

This was my first ride out there this year and I felt as if the gnarly root section between Langille and the intersection of #3 and #1 had gotten even tougher with the roots! IMO, that is the best root stretch I've ever ridden. 

This night riding stuff is very fun. I'm thinking that a series of monthly rides is in order. I'm thinking that Sun Top as a night ride would be perfect. Not too long, got a great vantage point on a clear night with a full moon illuminating Mt Rainier would be epic and for a night shutter bug would be amazing.

So...Suntop at the September full moon anyone???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Obviously, the excitment of the ride came when we had about 20 miles left and I realized I had about 10 miles of fuel. I'm like wtf?? I'd done this exact same ride a year before and had a fair amount of gas to spare. The difference was that while we looked for trail #2 we missed the entrance.  The previous year there was a noticeable sign marking the entrance that is now either gone or overgrown. Wasted a good 4-5 miles of gas on that. 

But, the year before I was on my 2016 bike, and now I realize that my 2020 has a smaller gas tank. Flat out, this new 300 has a max reliable ST range of about 45 miles only!

Fortunately, Katoom's bike had enough gas to share...and once again he bails me out...

Lesson learned was that neither of us had a fuel jug at the car, let alone with any gas in it. And until you truly know your bike, and the fuel range, you need to bring some extra gas...especially at a place as unforgiving and remote as Gifford Pinchot.  

This was my first ride out there this year and I felt as if the gnarly root section between Langille and the intersection of #3 and #1 had gotten even tougher with the roots! IMO, that is the best root stretch I've ever ridden. 

This night riding stuff is very fun. I'm thinking that a series of monthly rides is in order. I'm thinking that Sun Top as a night ride would be perfect. Not too long, got a great vantage point on a clear night with a full moon illuminating Mt Rainier would be epic and for a night shutter bug would be amazing.

So...Suntop at the September full moon anyone???

Count me in, plus that ride doesn't take all night. By then it will be dark at 7:30 and we can have a leisurely ride and break and be back at staging 2 hours + later. Could do it Friday the 13th on the way over to Little Naches or sumthin'. for Saturday ride. For that matter could ride G-P on Saturday since it's maybe an hour from Suntop to Randle.

• Like 1

Count me in, plus that ride doesn't take all night. By then it will be dark at 7:30 and we can have a leisurely ride and break and be back at staging 2 hours + later. Could do it Friday the 13th on the way over to Little Naches or sumthin'. for Saturday ride. For that matter could ride G-P on Saturday since it's maybe an hour from Suntop to Randle.
Pencil me in! Work should slow down enough by then.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

You run out of goldwings??

Yes. Never work on your bike after drinking a bottle of wine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Video proof...

Awesome video. Looks like the lights worked great. How was the battery life on the helmet light?

5 minutes ago, dan500afc said:

Awesome video. Looks like the lights worked great. How was the battery life on the helmet light?

Neither head lamp was drained. As far as I could tell @KaToomTime had his on for a good 6 hrs? Mine was on for about 3-4 hrs.  It has a stated life of 5 hrs. 

41 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Neither head lamp was drained. As far as I could tell @KaToomTime had his on for a good 6 hrs? Mine was on for about 3-4 hrs.  It has a stated life of 5 hrs. 

Yes still had battery left, maybe 2/3 of the way in I turned from low to medium which was much better imo.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, onefatroach said:

I'm the troll? You said you were leaving. Several times. I'm just asking if you're really leaving. 

You keep harassing me with private messages begging me to take your money and to do some ride. I can't even believe I'm replying to this thread again. 

I dont care how much money you make or how much you'll give me to do some night ride. 

Screenshot_20190813-170503_Chrome.jpg

UP THE 642 hahahahaha and DOWN the short and dirty lol You would have never seen him again. That 5K would need to go to next of kin.......................... I laugh out loud when I try to go up the stuff on a bike I go up in the 4x4 at Rimrock!

• Like 1