Patty waggon

Rmz 450 gear shift locking up

Hi, I have a 2012 rmz 450. The issue I have is the bike starts fine and will idle for about 30 seconds and shut off like you hit the kill switch and locks up the Kickstarter. You roll it back about a foot in gear and it frees it up and starts right back and does the same thing. Sounds great while idled and has good compression any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Any ideas on how to see if it’s the crank without tearing it apart?

Pull out your plug and crank the bike over until it locks up again. You’ll probably be able to get a better idea

I tried now I can’t get it to lock back up unless the bike actually starts

Alright, that’s probably worse. It means when stuff gets hot it locks up. I’d say you’re probably gonna have to disassemble the motor. Although I’d wait for more expert expertise.

The next time it locks up,

dis-assemble the clutch to isolate the engine from the gearbox,

remove the spark plug and try turning the engine over using the flywheel.

If it won't turn over, then it's not gearbox or kickstart mechanism related.

Your original description of "locks up then unlocks when rocked backwards in gear"

seems unfortunately common when a connecting rod big end bearing fails.

16 hours ago, Patty waggon said:

Any ideas on how to see if it’s the crank without tearing it apart?

My 2 cents:

I would pull out the oil filter and cut it apart and look for metal shavings (see below for my personal example).  I'd also pull out the metal screen and look for metal shavings.  

Hope this helps.  

image.png.1f7e8e022ae5db06ab21b75cad007d71.png

My 2 cents:
I would pull out the oil filter and cut it apart and look for metal shavings (see below for my personal example).  I'd also pull out the metal screen and look for metal shavings.  
Hope this helps.  
image.png.1f7e8e022ae5db06ab21b75cad007d71.png

Sometimes it can be pretty heart breaking
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Patty waggon said:

Hi, I have a 2012 rmz 450. The issue I have is the bike starts fine and will idle for about 30 seconds and shut off like you hit the kill switch and locks up the Kickstarter. You roll it back about a foot in gear and it frees it up and starts right back and does the same thing. Sounds great while idled and has good compression any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Did you get an OEM Service Manual with the bike when you bought it? There is a Trouble Shooting Section that can add to what is being suggested on TT.

Check to make sure your kick shaft is timed correctly. That might solve the kick lever locking up