Jump to content

water soluble air filter oil

Recommended Posts

hey guys,  there is this oil that you can use on your air filter that is water washable...I think it is called synthetic water washable air filter fluid, by rock oil lubricants..has anybody tried this stuff...where can you buy it...apparently it is not made in the usa unfortunately...seems like it might be just the ticket for desert riders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

water washable (with detergent) <> water soluble.   If there is such a thing as water soluble air filter oil the air filter would be useless if it got wet....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/cm/images/pdf/techdata/Factory_Eco_Foam.pdf

I assume this is what you are referring to?

It says the filter can be cleaned in water only if Eco Foam was used. 

Seems interesting but I’d like to see how it performs against others like No Toil.

Im a huge proponent for No Toil. It worked for me for 200 hours on my last Beta 300 and almost 100 hours so far on my ‘18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used it before. It works good and like no toil the alcohol in the oil is hard on the filter. I use no toil now because swaff was too hard to find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Grimlock said:

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/cm/images/pdf/techdata/Factory_Eco_Foam.pdf

I assume this is what you are referring to?

It says the filter can be cleaned in water only if Eco Foam was used. 

Seems interesting but I’d like to see how it performs against others like No Toil.

Im a huge proponent for No Toil. It worked for me for 200 hours on my last Beta 300 and almost 100 hours so far on my ‘18. 

If that's the product, this leaves me unimpressed:

Quote

This exceptional performance and flexibility has resulted in a test win in a major motorcycling publication in the USA.

Searching the net I'm finding no 'test win' in a major motorcycling publication.   I would suspect all claims they make.

Also found this from here: https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/guglatech-dirt-bikes-with-plastic-tanks/rock-oil-factory-eco-foam-air-filter-oil/

Quote

Here’s the good news – With Eco Foam your filter can be cleaned with nothing more than warm, soapy water.

Warm soapy water isn't cleaning with water only.  Sounds like all of the other eco products, the twin-air eco I use cleans with soap and water just fine.

They also claim it's good for foam, cloth and matrix filters.  Maybe that's true, but sounds off.

Edited by braindead0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Warm soapy water isn't cleaning with water only.  Sounds like all of the other eco products, the twin-air eco I use cleans with soap and water just fine.
They also claim it's good for foam, cloth and matrix filters.  Maybe that's true, but sounds off.

The test win was in dirt rider during the Jimmy Lewis era. It’s a good product but good luck trying to buy a bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, I can't seem to find the stuff..is there some issue with a chemical in the mixture of the swwaff that makes it tricky to import...and by the way, notoil imports their ingredient as well..was the eco foam stuff very sticky?  I bet you could ride with it even in wet conditions if your airbox was sealed on the outside.

I did not know that twin air made a bio/eco oil that washes with water, I will look around for it, what was the name of the product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mattydavis said:

yeah, I can't seem to find the stuff..is there some issue with a chemical in the mixture of the swwaff that makes it tricky to import...and by the way, notoil imports their ingredient as well..was the eco foam stuff very sticky?  I bet you could ride with it even in wet conditions if your airbox was sealed on the outside.

I did not know that twin air made a bio/eco oil that washes with water, I will look around for it, what was the name of the product?

soap+water <> water soluble.  

The PDF from the manufacture (linked earlier) say's it can be cleaned with water only however other sites selling the product say warm soapy water, so I'm not sure which to believe.  If it's truly water soluble, that seems like a stupid idea unless you're never doing any water crossings or riding in the rain.

Twin-air bio cleans up with soapy water  (https://www.twinair.com/air-filter-oils-and-cleaners.php)

They'll try to sell you special cleaner, however I and others have found oxy-clean, dawn and other detergents clean it fine.

Edited by braindead0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used no toil for awhile and it worked fine. But now i just buy the cheap pro filters a dozen at a time and toss em after each use for less than $10 each they come pre-oiled with bel-ray

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bk29 said:

I’ve used it before. It works good and like no toil the alcohol in the oil is hard on the filter. I use no toil now because swaff was too hard to find.

was the stuff really sticky?, IMO notoil isn't as sticky as maxima or belray...certainly easy cleaning is a plus but the oil has to be STICKY to work well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, mattydavis said:

was the stuff really sticky?, IMO notoil isn't as sticky as maxima or belray...certainly easy cleaning is a plus but the oil has to be STICKY to work well

I had a bottle of no toil fall off my garage shelf and break open behind some building materials. When I finally saw it back there(probably 2 months as I thought it had gone missing for 2 months) it had 8 dead mice in it because they got stuck in it and couldn't escape. Seems pretty sticky if it can be used as a rodent trap.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Rock Oil SWAFF for a little bit. Critical that you start with a brand new filter other wise it will quickly break down due to interaction with traditional oils. One deep Creek crossing left me with a clean filter. That was the end of that.

Using Twin Air system now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Zinergy said:

I had a bottle of no toil fall off my garage shelf and break open behind some building materials. When I finally saw it back there(probably 2 months as I thought it had gone missing for 2 months) it had 8 dead mice in it because they got stuck in it and couldn't escape. Seems pretty sticky if it can be used as a rodent trap.

actually maybe they died eating the stuff!.. I remember reading the SDS on the dimer acid and it doesn't breakdown in the environment, nor is it non-toxic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1.21GW said:

I used Rock Oil SWAFF for a little bit. Critical that you start with a brand new filter other wise it will quickly break down due to interaction with traditional oils. One deep Creek crossing left me with a clean filter. That was the end of that.

Using Twin Air system now.

wow that must have been deep or did you tip over?  i'd like to use swaff for pure desert riding down here in socal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mattydavis said:

actually maybe they died eating the stuff!.. I remember reading the SDS on the dimer acid and it doesn't breakdown in the environment, nor is it non-toxic

I had to use a paint scraper to get them off the floor. The ones that had died recently came off all together. The ones that were there for a bit rolled out of their skin and a couple of there skins are now permanently part of my garage floor. They just look like slightly dark stains on my concrete.

Edited by Zinergy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mattydavis said:

wow that must have been deep or did you tip over?  i'd like to use swaff for pure desert riding down here in socal

It was real deep. Luckily no current otherwise I would have been headed down stream. It did not look deep until it was.

Yea SWAFF should be fine for the desert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1.21GW said:

It was real deep. Luckily no current otherwise I would have been headed down stream. It did not look deep until it was.

Yea SWAFF should be fine for the desert.

after getting across did you immediate think to look at the air filter with the swaff?  your incident got me thinking that the swaff might be a great product for multiday rides, easy to clean the filter at a motel sink or even in a stream or creek...then have a little bottle of the oil ready to re-oil the air filter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...