The only motorcycle specific oil i can get here is this...Do you think is better to use this rather than regular 10w 40 automotive oil (Mobil , Shell whatever)

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/advance-for-motorcycles/advance-4-stroke-motorcycle-oil/shell-advance-ax3.html

it meets the API SG and JASO MA requirments as per the following quoted article

If the bottle of oil doesn’t list that it is an API SG Service Category or JASO MA spec, it’s not good enough for your motocross bike. Although a bottle of oil might say “motorcycle specific” or “safe in wet clutches,” the best endorsement is the API SG or JASO MA designation. It??s better to be safe than sorry.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/secret-world-of-four-stroke-oil/

i know this has been beaten to death, but what do you guys use in yours, and by that i mean what weight AND what API. and are you using motorcycle specific oil or not ?

Posted (edited)

i did a bit of reading up on oils...my conclusion was to use appropriate oil and change often (as well as filter). if you change your oil on schedule, using  the most $$$ options (best??) is likely not much difference

i use shell rotella t6 - 5w40 in the XRR, 450X, and the mighty XR100! so far so good

Edited by Sumoman

3 minutes ago, kwekuPaul said:

shell rotella t6 is a fully synthetic diesel engine oil ?

yes- it comes in 3 weights: 15w, 5w, 0w

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, kwekuPaul said:

thought the synthetics were not good for wet clutches

you can read a ton if info on oil and come away confused lol...im NOT an expert on this subject, but i have read that the T6 works well in a split sump engine design like the crf’s...if you use it on shared sump designs, change more frequently. 

*i should point out that i just got my 650R this year and havent had much time on it yet (middle of the build), so i guess i need to know if T6 is not the best choice for the XRR. i jumped on the T6 after reading it works well w separate oil designs as well just about everything else

Edited by Sumoman

Posted (edited)

the friction modifiers in auto oils are not good for wet clutches according to my research. it is possible to get mineral and synthetics without the friction modifiers in and i believe that may be where *some* of the confusion lies. 

motorcycle specific oils do not have the friction modifiers in and are equivalent to the old API SG rating......but this is where i start to get lost and end up going round in circles.

as i stated in the begining of this thread, the only motorcycle specific oil i can get is Shell advance ax3 , which meets specs but specifically says is for small hot running bikes ax 5 and above is for bigger higher performance bikes...even more confused now.

Honda manual specifies any SE SF or SG oil BUT caveat here is that this was written 20years ago and modern SG equivalents have more friction modifiers etc etc in them to meet new regulations....so we back to square one....will modern SG equivalents be ok for wet clutches.

i have some castrol GTX API SG CD 15w 50 which i am using now...but i am not really sure if it is ideal....

lots info here....

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2977338

sumoman....Rotella T6 in 5W-40 is a synthetic and has the JASO-MA rating. which means is good for wet clutches...you are ok👍

Edited by kwekuPaul
  • Like 1

T6 is a solid choice...I know Eric F. (Haymaker on the original Pigpen site) has been using it since the early days and swears by it. It won't cause any clutch issues.

I run Motorex 4T Cross Power 10-50 (fully synthetic). A bit on the expensive side but a no-compromise choice. Used by KTM in their race program and recommended for all the dirt/dual sport bikes they sell.

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/moto-line/motor-oil/cross-power-4t-sae-10w50/

• Helpful 1

40 minutes ago, JBaz said:

T6 is a solid choice...I know Eric F. (Haymaker on the original Pigpen site) has been using it since the early days and swears by it. It won't cause any clutch issues.

I run Motorex 4T Cross Power 10-50 (fully synthetic). A bit on the expensive side but a no-compromise choice. Used by KTM in their race program and recommended for all the dirt/dual sport bikes they sell.

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/moto-line/motor-oil/cross-power-4t-sae-10w50/

JBaz and KP thanks for clarifying T6 is good to go in the big XR- i read so much about different oils and came feeling T6 was at a solid choice for all my bikes. i get 2.5 gallons for $50. i dont ride anywhere near race pace under demanding circumstances either. ive always been told ‘change the oil...change it often’

i dont get to ride enough that the price difference from premium brands makes a big difference. i like the fact its easy to find and i can use it for all the bikes. 

Mobil 1 V-Twin 10-40 in my XR650R’s, and Mobil 1 racing 15-50 in my CRF450X with Honda HP transmission oil. 10’s of thousands of miles on each bike without issues. Relatively inexpensive, and available. I choose to use synthetic due to long rides/change intervals...some around 2k. And I’ve never fried a clutch in over 40yrs of riding. 

DF60E7EF-478A-472C-AB30-174FA11D98A4.jpeg

ADC5D04B-2F8F-4198-A24A-C42D9F0F7807.jpeg

46542A70-36EB-4269-817E-26175471E66A.jpeg

• Like 1