Justn1k

KDX 220 dies when tilted to either side.

Posted (edited)

Hey guys! I bought my kdx 220 last year and rode it 4-5 times before the season was over and it ran great each time. Since the start of this summer, however, I have hard a very difficult time getting it to run correctly. It likes to die when I allow it to come back to an idle after a straight of any length and also whenever it is tipped to the side it also dies. I initially thought this was due to varnish build up in the carb (I left it with fuel in the carb for about a week and a half after my first ride...I couldn't believe how quickly oxidation built up in there) but the carb has been thoroughly gone through cleaned and everything looks ok (made sure floats are adjusted correctly, checked float needle valve for wear, etc). I couldn't figure things out myself so I recruited my dad to help me (a mechanical genius if there ever was one...especially when it comes to motorcycles and cars) but he can't seem to figure out what is wrong either. Does anyone know what could possible cause these problems?

Edited by Justn1k

If gas runs out when it's tilted less than 45 degrees, with the engine off, set your floats lower.

9 hours ago, Preachin said:

Pull your fuel petcock out of the tank and inspect the strainer. I've seen ethanol fuel gum these up and even destroy some. 

There is a bit of gunk near the base of the screen but I don't see how this would affect fuel delivery to the engine when the gas tank is nearly full.

6 hours ago, nobade said:

If gas runs out when it's tilted less than 45 degrees, with the engine off, set your floats lower.

Gas does not run out of the overflow...the bike simply dies.