Beta300recat

Didn't think I'd be having fork problems this soon

Mine started leaking at 30 hours. It was just dirt under the seals. Seal saver pulled it out! Leak stopped. Service forks sround 60 hours and seals still looked good so I reused them . 77 hours hour issue free.

• Like 6

Probably just some dirt as mentioned.

I wipe mine down after every ride. I wash bike then spray light WD40  on tubes and whipe with lint free cloth. 

Surprised as how much dirt still on tubes even after a good wash.

• Like 4

I always run Seal Savers fork sleeves. After you clean the fork seals, I would install a pair of Seal Savers they will help reduce the amount of gunk and dirt getting into your seals. 

hhttp://sealmate.net/

https://sealsavers.com/product-category/moto/

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I wipe mine down after every ride. I wash bike then spray light WD40  on tubes and whipe with lint free cloth.

Ditto; paper towels and silicone spray. I remove the guards to do it.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I will try cleaning with a hook made from a drink bottle.

• Like 1

I had similar problem with aftermarket seals even using the seal mate and covers. I only use OEM seals and it has made a significant difference in the longevity. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

Ditto; paper towels and silicone spray. I remove the guards to do it.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I will try cleaning with a hook made from a drink bottle.

After you clean it realy good I've got my seals to stop leaking with marine grade grease. Temporary fix but it worth a try.

• Like 1

I used a plastic milk jug and cut a 3/4"x4" section, then cut a right angle hook on one end, slide down the dust seal, stick the hook into the oil seal, made a few rounds while spraying wd40. Nowadays I just put a set of Seal Savers( don't buy the cheap stuff) and be finished, in 9 yrs on my FE570 I never had a leak. Also make sure you bleed the forks before and during the ride. a cheap set of fork bleed valves make it convenient. 

• Like 1

The guy I bought my YZ250 from suggested .001” shim stock and brake cleaner. Haven’t tried it yet but this guy knows his stuff. 🤔

3 hours ago, wjb111 said:

The guy I bought my YZ250 from suggested .001” shim stock and brake cleaner. Haven’t tried it yet but this guy knows his stuff. 🤔

Brake cleaner is really harsh. ☠️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beta300recat said:

Brake cleaner is really harsh. ☠️

Maxima suspension cleaner its safer and cleans better than a good brake cleaner (cheap ones don't clean, just burn your seals). 

OEM seals are the green SKF and they use the std dust seal. However if you buy an SKF kit, there is available also a HD kit. The difference is in the dust seal, it has 2 lips so it hold dirt better. Only drawback is that you have to buy them as a pair per leg (1 carton = 1 seal+1 dust seal) not one by one as you may get them from a Beta dealer. 

If you do alot of wet and mud riding, then the SKF mud scrapers will help as well. They suggest to use them in wet conditions but I have used them all year round with no ill effects. They also double as guides for the fork protectors. Originally, Sachs (and Marzocchi) are using a snap ring as a guide but with use this wears flat and then you start to have wear on the upper. 

Last note, if you use m/scrapers on newer Sachs (2017+) you may need to use the snap ring from older models which is smaller diameter. The ring is used from the scraper for location but the new bigger ones don't mate well with the channel inside the scraper and you end up loosing the scraper. 

I would never use seal saver socks, they hold moisture and dirt in contact with the lowers. Seals leave longer but not the rest of the fork.... 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, katoomed00 said:

I used a plastic milk jug and cut a 3/4"x4" section, then cut a right angle hook on one end, slide down the dust seal, stick the hook into the oil seal, made a few rounds while spraying wd40. Nowadays I just put a set of Seal Savers( don't buy the cheap stuff) and be finished, in 9 yrs on my FE570 I never had a leak. Also make sure you bleed the forks before and during the ride. a cheap set of fork bleed valves make it convenient. 

Ditto. Cut it out of a plastic milk jug. One tip...use a hammer to flatten a small edge area of the plastic "tool" so that it will slip easily between the seal and the tube.

Edited by rodcrank
  • Like 2

Leaky seal is not fork problems, dirt just has to get between the seal and fork tube and it will leak. 

Riding in mud and and the mud dries can also cause leaks.

Had seals last a couple rides and also 100 plus hours

• Like 1