Dave@Yugar

Honda XR 400 No Spark CDI ok

Hi All I have a 1998 Model XR400 that has no spark. I have tried 2 CDI units in it and no change. There is power coming from the wires that come out of the flywheel generator but there is no power at the Black/Yellow wire that hooks onto the spark plug coil. Hence no power at the spark plug. I got the bike off my brother and he was mid way through changing the lighting switch block over to an new aftermarket one before he gave up and handed me the bike. I am not see any power at the on off switch either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

First check that your kill-switch isn't shorted to ground.

Yooj

First check that your kill-switch isn't shorted to ground.

Yooj
I have power on one side of kill switch and nothing on the other. Is it simply a matter of unplugging the 2 wires?

Need to tell us where you are.

So, not having a problem with lighting. 

Which wires from the stator are you saying have power? Take a look at the wiring diagram to get an idea what the circuits are and what they run. This is a US spec bike. May be different than yours as far as lighting and kill/on/off switch. Look up the wiring diagram for your bike.

See those bullet connectors behind the headlight in the diagram? Those are notorious for becoming corroded and making bad connections, especially that double connector that is ground.

xr400 electrical.jpg

Which wires from the stator are you saying have power? Take a look at the wiring diagram to get an idea what the circuits are and what they run. This is a US spec bike. May be different than yours as far as lighting and kill/on/off switch. Look up the wiring diagram for your bike.
See those bullet connectors behind the headlight in the diagram? Those are notorious for becoming corroded and making bad connections, especially that double connector that is ground.

455065813_xr400electrical.jpg.e434b9a852358444ea0ea936e4af585f.jpg
Thanks I'm in Australia. Can you please tell me the wire colours for the notorious plug?

36 minutes ago, Dave@Yugar said:
5 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

455065813_xr400electrical.jpg.e434b9a852358444ea0ea936e4af585f.jpg

Read more  

Thanks I'm in Australia. Can you please tell me the wire colors for the notorious plug?

Look at the diagram for wire colors. See the headlight bulb and engine stop switch? The 3 connectors that serve those are behind the headlight on the bike