400SM

Finally, was looking for awhile. Looked at a bike on Sat, the guy had cams and a carb but it did not run right so I passed.  worked out today I got a 2018 with almost 800 miles. Has a pipe, wide pegs , seat....  now I am making a list of Mods ...  not in order 

1  16 tooth sprocket.  would be nice to be able to scoot down the freeway.   will I need a longer chain ?

2  color swap to white ? or a Graphics kit ?

3  tail light and blinkers - it has a fender delete but he never got around to doing the brake like ? anyone have a good rear brake setup ?  

4 skid plate 

5 at some point ill do the cam and carbs ... that carb seems expensive. 

6 mirrors 

7 phone mount ? what is a good mount for iPhone and a accessory plug

8 shifter , brake , clutch lever ?  what is best ?

9 fuel tank ... this is maybe close to the top of mods to do .. white so I can see the fuel level ( are the cheaper ones worth doing ) 

any other ideas ?  

Thanks 

David

Stock 110 link chain is fine for a 16t css.
Unless you do woods riding off road there is no need for a skid plate. They trap heat and noise and add weight.
A larger fuel tank is nice for extra range. No need for white or translucent, you can use the trip meter or odometer to determine remaining fuel level or range.Once you know the mileage the rest is pretty simple.

Yes, a new 39 fcr-mx carb conversion is pricey but totally worth it for what it offers.

Wider foot pegs and stainless braided brake lines are also a nice addition for a sm.

3 hours ago, David2676 said:

Finally, was looking for awhile. Looked at a bike on Sat, the guy had cams and a carb but it did not run right so I passed.  worked out today I got a 2018 with almost 800 miles. Has a pipe, wide pegs , seat....  now I am making a list of Mods ...  not in order 

1  16 tooth sprocket.  would be nice to be able to scoot down the freeway.   will I need a longer chain ?

2  color swap to white ? or a Graphics kit ?

3  tail light and blinkers - it has a fender delete but he never got around to doing the brake like ? anyone have a good rear brake setup ?  

4 skid plate 

5 at some point ill do the cam and carbs ... that carb seems expensive. 

6 mirrors 

7 phone mount ? what is a good mount for iPhone and a accessory plug

8 shifter , brake , clutch lever ?  what is best ?

9 fuel tank ... this is maybe close to the top of mods to do .. white so I can see the fuel level ( are the cheaper ones worth doing ) 

any other ideas ?  

Thanks 

David

By rear brake setup, do you mean it has the tail light, but it just doesn't work with the rear brake?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/k-%26-s-universal-brake-light-switch-p

I have used both RAM and Quadlock mounts for my phones and the Quadlock is much easier on these types of bikes.

Usually ergonomics (shifter, brake and clutch levers, pegs, etc.) are all personal preference...

If you are going to use it off road I'd add radiator guards to the list. I even have them on all my road bikes (the ones that NEVER go off road...) mainly because a thrown rock from the car in front of you (or even from your own front tire...) or whatever off the road can puncture the radiator and it leaves you stranded. The ones on this bike are pretty high up, so that is probably less likely on the road.

Edited by drizzt400e

Correction ... I said tail light but I meant Brake light .. the PO did the fender elimination kit he said the brake like was back ordered and he never got to it .. so right now I have no rear break light , License plate light or turn signals ...